1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberal comedian suggests the Ching-Chong Ding-Dong Foundation for Sensitivity to Orientals or Whate

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Mar 28, 2014.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Targeting sex or acknowledging that this website has more sausage than oktoberfest?

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't see much, but I see now.

This is only place for Fisher San to talk to Asian males. So sorry we no to let you raff guilt free. Much disrespect to our ancestors.

Humorless Asiam women, you talk on ClutchFans too. Fisher San rikes you. Comets win he A-ok.

3. SamFisher

Disgusting.

#cancelinvisiblefan

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oddly inconsistent of you. You don't find humor in black comedy either?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Everyone in this thread should be rookified.

Except me.

6. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

Fisher Comets Sam win

7. StanleyHartwell

I am Asian myself and I find Suey Park and her attack on Colbert incredibly small-minded and disgusting.

If anything, Suey Park is the (reverse) racist here

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Here's a really well-written article from Jay Caspian Kang who is one of the best writers on Grantland.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...mpaign-to-cancel-colbert-report.html?mobify=0

9. SamFisher

Doesn't this question answer itself? Whether or not you agree with it - making fun of more established ethnic groups (Asians, Irish, italians) is generally thought of as more tolerable than ones that are disproportionately poor/disadvantaged etc.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Just for future reference, have Asians decided that they are now oppressed?

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I don't agree lumping Asians into the Irish or Italians. Asian immigration to the U.S. is very recent and for the most part only extend two or three generations. I absolutely agree when Kang says "If I were to predict which minority group the writers of a show like 'The Colbert Report' would choose for an edgy, epithet-laden parody, I’d grimace and prepare myself for some joke about rice, karate, or broken English." If Colbert used the Irish or Italians there would not be any comedic effect because they perceived racism of the Irish or Italians were so long ago that it would not be relevant.

12. SamFisher

Not true at all - it extends way back to the early 19th century. 200 years

How many thousands of jokes do you think I can dig up about drunken irishmen or mafioso Italians do you think I could dig up from Colbert or other comedians? It would break youtube.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Asians have been in America since the 1800's, especially on the West Coast.

14. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It may have started that early but the bulk of the Asian Americans in the U.S. today are recent immigrants after change in immigration laws in 1965. How many Asian Americans do you know who have great-grand parents or older that immigrated to the U.S.?

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Those won't work within the context of this joke. The joke wouldn't make any sense if he said "The Drunken Irishman Foundation".

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People make fun of Asians by saying "Ching Chong Ding Dong" type stuff all the time.

So it makes sense that upon hearing that someone would be ready to find offense. However, she should have gone a little deeper with her examination. Had she done that she would have seen that She and Colbert are really on the same side with this issue.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The joke on Snyder requires comparison with an ethnic group that has been historically discriminated against by the US white population and has a dialect or language that Americans are woefully deficient in. The punchline is that the privileged class is unaware of their level of insensitivity and believe that salvation for their egregious transgressions can be easily bought off with gratuitous acts, rather than real understanding.

Snyduh!

[​IMG]

#97 Dubious, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In 1999 Governor Jesse Ventura got in trouble when he made a comment on David Letterman about the streets of St. Paul being laid out by "Drunken Irishmen". http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/26/us/gov-ventura-stumbles.html
    Plus there is also an Irish Ant-Defamation league.

To the main subject of this thread. I've just been lurking because this is inane. Colbert is a satirical show and it was clever satire to point out the hypocrisy of Snyder's Foundation. Yes, Asians have been slurred before but this is a situation of pointing out the hypocrisy of trying to preserve and address the racial slur of "Redskin" by pointing out how silly it is.

Colbert is not insulting Asians he is pointing out how stupid it is for Snyder to defend the continued use of a racial slur as an NFL team name.

19. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure 100% of the people participating in this thread gets the joke. You should read the article I posted.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I've read it and frankly I find it supporting my view that this is an inane issue. Suey Park is pretty much admitting she is trolling to try to get a response.
    [rquoter]“There’s no reason for me to act reasonable, because I won’t be taken seriously anyway,” she said. “So I might as well perform crazy to point out exactly what’s expected from me.” [/rquoter]

It's basically not much different that to the shtick that the OP of this thread has been pedaling.

To the point that somehow we shouldn't attack Colbert because he is a liberal and as Asians we owe something to White liberals that just seems misguided. I bring up the issue that Asians to owe something to those of other races largely because most Asians have benefited from the opportunities created by the Civil Rights movement even though most Asians have arrived in the US after the movement. That said I don't see how that has anything to do with criticizing or not criticizing an act of satire because it was done by liberals. Speaking for myself I've criticized many liberals over paranoia painting the PRC as an implacable enemy of the US.

[rquoter]#CancelColbert may have been silly and dumb and wrong in spirit, but it’s worth asking if those of us who find it distasteful know as much about the intentions of the hashtag activists as we think we do. If we take #CancelColbert at face value, we can easily dismiss it as shrill, misguided, and frivolous. But after speaking to Park about what she hoped to accomplish with all this (a paternalistic question if there ever was one), I wonder if we might be witnessing the development of a more compelling—and sometimes annoying and infuriating—form of protest, by a new group of Merry Pranksters, who are once again freaking out the squares in our always over reacting, always polarized online public sphere.[/rquoter]

And I agree it is shrill, misguided and frivolous. Besides that though I see another danger to something like this. I brought this up regarding the controversy about the Jimmy Kimmel piece is that something like this actually detracts from actual racism towards Asians particularly in the political field.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2-E2IhOc58k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It also distracts from ignorant racism propagating stereotypes towards Asians like this.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uD6zcN4V4R4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

These are things that as Asians we should be far more concerned about than the type of satire used by Colbert actually mocking the use of racial slurs.