1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lexus Maintenance at Dealer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rubytuesday, Jan 12, 2011.

1. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

I've been MIA on this board since becoming a mom but I turn back to clutchfans for car questions. I have a 2 year old Lexus ES and have taken it to the dealer for the first 3 checkups/oil change at 5K, 10K and 15K. I am due for my 20K oil change/maintenance and I'm curious if y'all have input on whether or not it is necessary to continue going to the dealer.

For my old Accord, I took it to the dealer for the big tune-ups and after they evaluated it and made their recommendations, I got it fixed at our family guy off Beechnut for MUCH cheaper. Should I do the same for the Lexus? Also, we extended the warranty to 7 yr/100K.

I know, I should probably read the warranty statement, but just curious if y'all have any insight on dealer vs local shop for routine maintenance. TIA.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Honestly, I would continue to go with the dealer. I've heard horror stories with some local mechanics breaking things when doing maintenance and then replacing broken parts with cheap stuff. If the difference in price isn't more than $50, I would continue to go with the dealer. However, if you're satisfied with the work that your family guy does and if he's reliable, then I guess it doesn't hurt. That's just me though.

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Doing routine maintenance at a dealer vs. an independent mechanic is really personal preference. Just know that despite what many dealer service departments "imply", a manufacturer can not void your warranty if you choose to have maintenance done at a non-dealer.

4. yc324

yc324 Member

If maintenance is no longer covered by Lexus, I'd go with a reputable indie mechanic since the dealership is probably going to charge you an arm and a leg for everything.