1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lexus IS300 anyone?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Apr 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. drapg

drapg Member

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm deciding between two at the moment:

2005 convertible ford mustang gt convertible
    2005 lexus is 300

I'm leaning towards the latter since i currently have a convertible mustang.

Anyone have any first hand knowledge of the is 300? I've read reviews online, but I was hoping to get first hand knowledge from people.

thanks in advance!

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I know I would like one.

I'm talking about the IS.

3. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

Please wait on the IS300. They are doing a complete redesign next year.

[​IMG]

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think theyre going to call it the 430.

DRAP G.

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Have you already ruled out the G35 and BMW 3 series?

6. drapg

drapg Member

Actually, I'm researching those on the web right now. I like the G35, but the 3 series seems overrated to me.

But like I said, I'm looking through reviews right now. Any first hand knowledge of those would be great too!

7. drapg

drapg Member

Redesigned in '06? I gotta do more research!

8. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

It will be called the IS250 and IS350. The 350 is supposed to be an BMW "M" class type vehicle with a 300 HP engine so it may be a little pricy.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I highly recommend the 3 series, my parent's owned a 330 for a while and it was a great car.

10. drapg

drapg Member

Now that I've read more about the G35, I'm liking what I'm seeing. I just gotta wonder if the coupe is too small? The one thing I dislike about my current car is that the backseat is useless for the transport of live people.

11. Bono

Bono Contributing Member

have you considered the Toyota Avalon. it's totally re-done after 2004 and has a 280 hp engine.

I work for Joe Myers Toyota so I might be able to get you a deal.

12. Kilgore Trout

I am also in the market and am also currently driving a mustang as well. Though my budget puts me more in the used market. I really like the G35 sport coupe but i havent had a chance to drive one though I have ridden in some friends. Lots of HP and i think they improved on the interior for the 05 model.

I initially thought the 3 series was overpriced and a bit overrated until i did some more research on them and recently drove one (2002 330ci w 5 speed). I was really impressed with its refined handling and ride characteristics. Probably not the best bang for the buck car around but the unique feel may be worth it depending on what your looking for in a car.

FYI BWM is launching the new 3 series sedans for 06 and i think they may be hiting the dealers soon. May be worth a look depending whether you are considering a sedan. I think dealers may be giving good deals on the 05 sedans as well.

06 325i
    http://research.cars.com/go/crp/sum...=wpost&call=crp&makeid=5&year=2006&modelid=31

You have any preferance towards sedans vs coupes or auto vs manual?

13. Kilgore Trout

Found this in a car and driver review.

Two adults of female size can fit comfortably into the rear, but headroom is definitely wanting for six-footers. Perhaps more amazingly, two golf bags will squeeze into the G35's eight-cubic-foot trunk. Don't believe it? There's a small placard thoughtfully pasted to the trunk liner to show how it's done.

Souds like it may be about the same as the back seat of a mustang but not by much.

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

drapg,

I was interested at one time in the Lexus IS300 but found that model to be pretty rare at the Nashville Lexus dealerships. I then fell in love with the Infiniti G35/Nissan 350Z.

I would go with the G35 sedan if you are worried about back seats; if that is not a problem, definitely go with the G35 coupe or a 350Z - I think horsepower is now up to 300 instead of the 287 I have!:mad:

Please in God's good name do not get a BMW 3 series unless you want to be classified with all the rich, spoiled beauty queens that are still in high school (like my next door neighbor's kid).

15. Kilgore Trout

I tend to take the screw the people in the back seat approach;) So long as there is at least enough room for them to physically fit back there is good enough for me. Having a small back seat has gotten my out of driving quite a lot.

Damn, I had kind of thought that to be the case with the 3 series but I guess im just not in an area where I see rich kids driving around much. Do they drive the coupes as well?

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

just go for the sc430 like my dad. now that is a car.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

my brother has the is300. great car. the only negative is the small space in the back seat. if only two people are traveling its great. but it sucks for any more then that.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

No man should be driving that car!

Lexus makes so many dainty cars like their "SUV" the RX330 and the SC430.

drapg,

Don't get a 3-series : yuppieville; although they're bumping up the performance on it with a better engine.

The new IS300 will be a good car; the current model handles well, but is underpowered compared to other cars in its segment.

Of all the cars you said, if I were to have to choose one now, it would be the G35. The coupe is useless for transporting more than 1 person comfortably and you can forget bringing anything other than a duffle bag or grocery bag home in it. They've also bumped the HP to 297 or 298 in the newest versions.

Ford... eh... I'm biased against them, so I won't comment for now. :)

19. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Looks: G35
    Luxury: IS300
    Price: IS300
    Power: G35
    Overall: IS300

Depends on what you want. The best advice anyone can give you is to go out and test drive all the vehicles your interested in to see which one you like best.

I love Honda/Toyota's reliability and no other manufactuer can touch them. I've owned many Honda's, Toyota, Lexus and Acura and only had a problem once where I had to get it fixed under warranty. My pops on the other hand has a Mercedez and that thing is a nightmare.

Im currently in the market myself and Im not sure If I want to purchase the current IS300, new IS300, S2000 or MR2-Spyder.

#19 chow_yun_fat, Apr 17, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  20. drapg

drapg Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so I'm going out to test drive the IS300, G35 (coupe and sedan), and new convertible 'stang.

No offense KT, but I have the same opinion about the BMW 3-series as DoD and Manny. I've seen too many of the stereotypical high school princesses and "$30K millionaires" with shiny shirts bumping around town in those cars.

I am definitely neither of those, and I would just feel uncomfortable driving one.

And since I have like 1 friend, i really shouldn't be concerned about a back seat. But at my age, I feel I should buy something more practical, now that I've had a fun car for most of my 20's. (That's my dilemna with the G35 couple vs. sedan, and why I was considering the IS300 - its sporty, plus its a 4-door.)