1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lewis Lloyd Dead at age 60

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jturbofuel, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I watched it.

Loved that team. My walls and even my ceiling were completely covered in Houston Post and Chronicle clippings from the 86 team.

Hakeemtheking, Nook and Jturbofuel like this.
  3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

That game was the game that got me into the Rockets. Every time Lew shot the crowd would scream “Lewwwww” right when the shot went up. He was my favorite player of all time. Mad Max a close second. RIP Lewis!!!

Nook and Jturbofuel like this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I loved Lew on the break it seemed like every time Sampson got a rebound he would throw that baseball pass to Lew on the other side of half court and one on one in the open court you were at Lew's mercy.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Lew has a lot of talent. He was one of the best players I have ever seen in transition. He was extremely fast down the court and explosive, had a natural instinct for getting to the basket. At the time he was bigger and stronger than most so he could go through or over almost anyone. Good ball handler and just great feel for scoring.

He loved to party and while not a bad guy, ran with some guys that were not all that great. Drugs and alcohol did him in. He also didn’t really take well to coaching, you just had to trust him that he would make the right play. Fitch (of all people) let him go and he flourished. Could have been so much more had he not had some of his issues.

Other than watching a young Olajuwon play defense, nothing was as satisfying as watching Lloyd in the open court.

Blurr#7 and Jturbofuel like this.
  6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sad day for Rockets fans! :(

Love watching him play back in the day. Truly a great athlete and fierce competitor! Part of a great “What If” team....

Qué en paz descanse.

alethios likes this.
  7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

When they came back from the suspension you could tell it was an eye opener for Mitch Wiggins because he came back better, but Lew came back really overweight and he was never the same guy and was gone shortly after his return. There is no what might have been in the history of Houston sports than what this team could have done if everyone was on the straight and narrow and Sampson stayed healthy.

Nook likes this.
  8. jch1911

jch1911 Member

RIP Sweet Lew :(

alethios likes this.
  9. MONON

MONON Member

Sad day in Rocket land! RIP Sweet Lou!! Our prayers go out to you & your family!

10. raining threes

RIP Black Magic

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lew was money on the break. RIP :(

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Biggest waste of potential I can recall. That team would have been incredible if not for the drugs.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

RIP Lew. *sniff*

14. Jbarrachina

Jbarrachina Member

15. Remlap

Remlap Member

Gone WAY too soon.

Thanks for giving us reasons to cheer Lew