1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lewis for MCE - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

He isn't worth the trouble. Seattle has built Rashard's ego to the point where he thinks he is similar to Kevin Garnett or Kobe - the centerpiece of a team. At this point in their respective careers he isn't close, and he's playing with one of the premier point guards of the era - how would he perform with something less (SF is a great player but not yet an excellent playmaker) ? He's a solid player with upside potential. Is that potential worth the max contract he demands? He's only using the other teams to try to coax Seattle into offering more, but Seattle offered much more than they had to offer, and still Rashard was insulted by their *low ball* offer.

I'm definitely not a big Cat fan, but at this ballpark price, Cat is worth it and Rashard is not in terms of contributions to a team. At least Cat was classier in his negotiations AFAIK.

2. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Who is Smith?

Sorry for the typo...:D

believe i tor not Im not too good on the computer lol, or else I would get you those quotes, but they were made.

And like I have said for the 20th time I havent seen NAchbar play, give me a break, before anyone seen Yao play they were comparing him to Ric Smits, and Shawn Bradley, Up until I see Nachbar play I will compare him to Dan Langhi, and I REALLY hope he proves me wrong, cause Im a Rocket fan through and through.

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

4. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

5. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Why is this crap still an issue?:confused: :mad:

6. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Was EDITED if you look and yes I did read it BTFW he wont sign for the MCE for 1 year or 3 years with the Rockets and if he takes the 60 mil they are offering him he will still be overpayed

HE WANTS MAX NOW and he is NO WHERE NEAR A MAX PLAYER

So I say why mess this team up with a player that wont fit in here even for 1 year its just plain STUPITDY to even think of him on this team

So again I say :mad: WE DONT NEED LEWIS:mad:

Not even if he will play for a bag of Doritos and a Coke to get MAX the next year.....:cool:

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Probably not, but you know you have him for a bargain for 1 or 2 MCE years, and then you work out something fair (7 year 50-60 Mil-ish provided he produces close to that level for you while he takes the MCE--you just lay out expectanctions before hand).

I don't know, guys like Peja, Christie, Bibby, BJ, and Clarke surely know they will get fewer shots yet they signed with Sac so that they would: 1) play for a championship caliber team, and 2) get fewer but better shots. I think most players would rather take 8 good shots and pick up extra assists in the flow of a potent offense, than chuck up 12 bad ones feeling little help or teamwork. Winning also cures a lot--and I think it is pretty big assumption to know how Lewis would react to the situation. When teams lose or do not meet expectations (see below) is when guys whine about shots.

Pippen, Barkley and Olajuwon (last Rocket team to make the playoffs) worked as did Drexler, Barkley, & Olajuwon. The limitations to both those teams were because the other guards either 1) did not have NBA starting material or 2) were rookies. Even though Pippen wasn't great rarely did I see another teams frontline beat on ours collectively. In sum the problem with those teams is the Rockets didn't have a well rounded starting 5--not that there was too many stars. It was just after the fact (losing, not meeting expectations, scapegoating) that the stars had their biggest conflicts.

Right now our hole is at the 3 and back-up 2, Rashard fills in both (note: you are hopefully Nachbar becomes a good NBA player, but to pass on a proven NBA player because you have a mid 1st round rookie you are high on is a mistake. If they both turn out very good then you just have more trade bait anyway). Now if Lewis played C or PF or PG or solely SG then there are complications. But right now the PT would be wide open for him, and given he is a fine spot up shooter, a very good rebounder for a 3/2, and reasonably athletic--he would seem to both fit our system and fill a lot of needs. The fact we could: a) get a very young player with that much talent w/o drafting him or trading for him, and b) get a player to fill an immediate need in a year where we will give up our first draft pick, all rolled in one homegrown package seeking us out, is a remarkable oppertunnity.

8. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

You are a person that knows basketball and you have a very good talent at knowing this team keep it up man ....:cool:

9. role

role Member

Hell YES!!!:D

10. Greg M

Greg M Member

So you have him at a bargain for a year or two. BFD. He will not sign for the MCE to take less money down the road than what the Sonics are offering right now. That's just an insane idea. Rashard is all about the money.

I agree with the principle of your theory here. Still you have to keep in mind that Sacramento paid these guys what they wanted. Rashard coming to Houston would never get what he wants financially or statisticly.

He would only come to Houston for a wink wink deal or to pad his stats for a contract elsewhere. Houston has a track record of taking care of guys who sign below market value. Rashard not too interested in what he can bring to the team. He's only looking out for his best financial interst.

Rashard is not a 2. If Mobley got injured, I would not want Rashard to be my main SG. With no injuries in the backcourt, Moochie comes in, Cat goes to the bench and Francis moves to the 2. Rahard's only PT would come at the 3, at the expense of the development of Nachbar.

Signing Rashard would be a remarkable opportunity if a) he was excited to be part of the Rocket's team, b) he wasn't looking to suck cap space. and c) he could play defense.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

<blockQUOTE>Originally posted by Desert Scar
    Probably not, but you know you have him for a bargain for 1 or 2 MCE years, and then you work out something fair (7 year 50-60 Mil-ish provided he produces close to that level for you while he takes the MCE--you just lay out expectanctions before hand).</blockQUOTE>Desert Scar. Lewis cannot sign for 1 or 2 yrs then get a raise over an MCE. He will not have Bird rights, and we will not be under the cap. The only reason Mo and Shandon signed with us in that manner is because we were projected to be under the cap.

We are no longer in that situation. There is no "wink wink" deal scenario with us. If he signs with us, he loses his Bird rights and has to wait 3 yrs for a raise. It is foolish to sign him for 1 or 2yrs, because he'll just become a free agent and bail for bigger money with another team.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

HP, I see a 1 or 2 year deal is an impossibility, but what else are you saying? Are you saying 1) Rashard is out of the picture, 2) in the picture but by trade only, or 3) in the picture via a 3 year MCE (even better) with wink wink money when he has Bird's Rights thereafter.

I just think too many people are relying on way too big assumptions about how Rashard would fit in on the basketball court based on how he has publically negotiated with Seattle and/or perhaps how he acted after the draft as an 18 year old heartbroken kid. You don't not take a chance on a guy with Rashard's relative age and proven skill based on such assumptions about his character and court influence from such limited and likely agent/PR filtered information. That just wouldn't be good business to rely on such generalizations based nothing on how he performs or acts on the actual basketball court.

The other big assumption is the Nachbar is our long term stud SF. I am hopeful, but you don't pass on adding another good player because of a prospect--especially one I think Rudy has admitted he only expects to play 15-20 minutes a game for you at your weakest position in a year you give up your #1 pick. Should Sac have not resigned Peja because they have Turkoglu?--of course not. Did Peja hurt Hedo's development?--Sure does NOT look like it. You need all the quality players you can get for injury purposes or for trade bait. Further if Nachbar is as good or better than Rashard (far less than 50/50 based on most mid/or even late lotto-1st round picks), when his rookie contract would be up (the same time as a 3 year MCE with Rashard) he would demand high money as well. So why pass on closer to a sure thing (Rashard) when even your hopefull prospect would be nearly as expensive down the line. Try to get them both, and then you really have some options the next few years if they both turn out exceptional for you.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm just saying that if Lewis signs with the Rockets for an MCE, he cannot get more than that for 3 more years, because he'll lose his Bird Rights, and we'll never be under the cap to give him more.

People seem to assume we can sign him for an MCE like Shandon and Maurice and then give him a big wink-wink deal in 1 or 2yrs. We can't. Not counting SnTs, the best Lewis can get from us for 3 yrs is MCE money. Lewis is in a Joe Smith/Rick Fox scenario, not a Maurice one.

A Joe Smith/Rick Fox scenario is, Lewis could sign a 1yr MCE with us, and shop himself nexts summer's FA market. Failing a big contract from another team, he could sign a 2nd MCE with us. Then repeat that for a 3rd year. After 3 yrs, he would then have Bird Rights with us.

14. slimpooky

slimpooky Member

To me this would be a good deal: Glen Rice(final year of deal), Kenny Thomas(final year of deal), and resign and deal The Wizard for Rashard Lewis......this would allow the Sonics to create much needed cap room for next year's run at the free agent crop and allow the Rockets to get yet another rising star to help this squad back into the playoffs! Rashard wants to play in Houston so lets allow him the opportunity...........

15. Panda

Panda Member

Lewis' forte is offense, unfortunately the Rockets have already excessive firepower. Let the Sonics sign him to the max and rot in hell.