1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Lewis for MCE - Yes or No

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Sep 4, 2002.

1. tariq

tariq Member

2. Dro04

Dro04 Member

I think we should forget about rashard lewis. honestly it would be great to have him on the team. but its become to much of a hassle anyways. besides we really dont need him. i my opinon....we keep mo griffin and kt. swtch griffin to 3. then we have:
    Ming/Cato
    Taylor/Kt
    Griffin/Nachbar/Rice
    Mobley/Torres
    Francis/Moochie/Brown
    But if we did have to trade for lewis. i'd throw in rice kt torres/brown.....and then ry to ge mroe out of them. anyone agree?

3. because24

because24 Member

4. magyuan

magyuan Member

yes yes yes

Ming
    Griffin
    Lewis
    Mobley
    Francis

Hey.,Shaq watch out !!!

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Yes as long it won't hurt the team chemistry

6. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

HELL YES!

I have no idea what people are talking about that say he isn't a proven player. We're talking about getting an 8 million dollar a year young stud for a little over half that. Buy low!

7. MONON

MONON Member

YES

If he will sign for 3 years & be content being the 3, 4 or 5th option.

We won't have a draft pick next year & Lewis softens that blow. Plus he can play the 2 against 2nd string 2s.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Sorry, anyone who says "no" to this is plain clueless or just trying to make a stink.

If the question is should we trade for Rashard--and if so for whom and at what cost over how many years--then you have a legit debate.

9. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Looks like you have no clue to TEAM sports Lewis wants MAX money who are you going to leave out to give him max Yao,Eddie, Cat and what does it say to those 3 that some guy can have 1 good year and we will trade and pay them MAX over a team we devlope and nuture to some player that cries cause he cant get max from his team that he has played for from the start BTW that team doesnt think he is worth MAX either

Again I say :mad: WE DONT NEED LEWIS :mad: ...:cool:

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

YES!!!!!!!!! and did you read the title of the thread or are you just clueless of how to read as well? It said Lewis for the MCE.........That means for minimum money buddy

11. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

MCE=yes S&T=no

12. Desert Scar

Exactly, no one can deny 1) Lewis would the best or among the best $4.something Mil per year SF in the league (that is all the MCE allows for) and 2) we have a lot questions about our SF spot. Offering the MCE to Lewis is a no brainer. Signing him to a contract double that and trading for him--that you can debate about.

13. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

The recent demise of USA basketball demonstrates that an amalgamation of high talent big ego players will not win games. We already have a big ego player in Francis and it won't be long until Griffin and Ming get a huge ego. These guys are the future of Rockets basketball. We need to fill in the gaps with role players who can defend! Not players that are constantly going to demand more money and more shots.

Lewis is a baller, but not what we need. Just like the Steelers shouldn't go and sign more linebackers just because they are talented. Just like the Bulls don't need another 7 foot high schooler, just like Real Madrid doesn't need any more midfielders.

14. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

The mistake of the USA basketball team is a lack of cohesiveness, they didnt train near as long as some of the other teams did together, These foreign clubs train together all the time...How often did the USA team train for the WC? I bet it wasnt even a month. That is why you have soo many turnovers at the All-star game, You cant compare a REAL team to this USA group or to ANY past All-star team simply because they dont practice together they dont know eachothers every move.

15. LeGrouper

No, incorrect. They trained the same amount of time as the other national teams. Yugoslavian stars Vlade and Peja are NBA players and they couldn't join their teams until the season was over. All of the players on these international teams play for a professional team during the year and the national teams get together to practice during the summer just like team USA. In fact team USA has the advantage that all of their players play in the same league while most of the international players play in several different leagues and so only get to know each other during the summer.

The real problem for the Americans was that no matter how much talent we had, we could not get any chemistry down. Time after time you would see Paul Pierce isolating or Baron Davis driving wildly through the lane or O'Neil pathetically trying to overpower the foreign big men. And then you see Argentina willing to distribute so that they have several players in double figures. Open man takes the shot. And with Yugoslavia you saw a team who respected their old center and followed his lead and intensity by doing everything that was needed. Great team defense and even the no name subs played like it was their last game.

I don't see Rashard coming in and giving us that kind of intensity on defense. He is capable of it but it would never happen. The kind of player we really need at SF is a player like Robert Horry. He doesn't need alot of shots to be effective, he plays defense, he doesn't need any glory. And don't forget he was starting his rookie year and making huge contributions so it is not so far fetched that Nachbar could do the same.

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I stand corrected concerning the national teams and their practice time...

However Im still not sold on Nachbar, for one reason, we have been hyped about players before, in fact when we first got Dan "the looser" Langhi, EVERYone was saying how great and awesome he would be, All-star team by 2004, Im just a little leary of guys that I have never seen play ball, I was leary of Yao, I saw him play I read the papers, I guess if I have seen him play like you have I could be more secure.

17. LeGrouper

Who in the Nine Hells was saying that about Dan Langhi? I remember saying to myself when he was drafted "What in the &*^% is Dawson thinking?"

Nachbar was a 15th pick in a draft where Caron Butler went 10th. Don't compare him to a late second rounder in a draft where Kandi went #1............

18. Desert Scar

I just think the whole "you just want a couple of stars and just role players around them" theory is kind of bunk. Sure it works if you have Shaq and Kobe, or Jordan, Pippen + an all-NBA defense PF (which all the Bulls championship teams had) or Hakeem and co. If you are lucky enough to have the 1st or 2nd best player in the league (or maybe a couple top 8 players) then you can afford to perhaps focus on less dynamic but nontheless well-rounded guys. For the rest of the league however, they have to try to put the best, most talented 5 guys on the floor they can. It sure as heck almost overcame Shaq and Kobe last year, and 3 years ago it sure almost worked for Portland. Those teams had legitimate chances to get rings.

In sum, you never pass up the oppertunity to get a young good player at a reasonable price (e.g., at the MCE)--those guys are too scarce in the league and those oppertunnities don't grow on trees. Quite simply, until Ming becomes the next Hakeem or Shaq or Francis becomes the next Jordan--we need all the talent we can get, whereever and whenver we can get it.You add in the fact that Rashard plays our position with the most questionmarks--of course you would offer him the MCE.

19. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Amen Desert Scar!

By the way I think LeGrouper just likes to aruge, and there were people of this board saying the exact same crap about Langhi that your saying about Nachbar, for example, "Our PG, SG, PF is set, and now that we drafted Langhi, all we need is a Center, and we can contend in the West." OR with give Langhi one yr and he will replace Wizard in the Starting five" OR now that we have Langhi, we can try and trade Wizard with some scrubs for a "better" center!"

And dont tell me who I can and cant compare, I will compare Ozzy Osbourne with George Bush if I feel like making the comparison!:D

20. LeGrouper

Do you really think he is going to take the MCE for more than a year? Do you really think he is going to be happy when his shot attempts take a nose dive? Did Pippen and Barkley and Olajuwon work? Do you really think we will be able to resign Griffin and Ming at the same time we will be trying to resign Rashard? Is it worth taking a brash 23 year old on board for a year or two while we are trying to develop a system involving our new superstar center? There is a gentle art to adding talent to your ballclub. We need to shed Rice and either Taylor or Smith before we pickup another high minute forward. And I think he should be defensive minded.

And no Sofine81, I don't like to aruge, or argue. I just can't stand it when people get on here and post without knowing what the hell they are talking about! At least Desert Scar made some basketball points, you keep listing these anonymous quotes about Langhi that I simply can't believe. Maybe Langhi's Mom posted those things but I can't see anyone else doing that. And just because someone posted it on here doesn't mean that it has any merit. After all, I post here all the time:D

And I will tell you not to compare someone who played a major role in winning a championship on a professional team and been voted best under 21 talent in Europe two years in a row to a player who was considered a reach in the late second round. Use your head dude. That's what this board is for. For me to tell you that you are daft man.......