1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Letting Courtney Lee Walk?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by quinnolivarez, Jun 29, 2012.

?

Re-sign Lee, or Let him walk?

1. Yes, resign Lee / make Lamb the 3rd string SG

93 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. No, start Martin / give Lamb backup minutes

33 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

Would you rather let Lee walk in FA, start Martin and give Lamb the lion's share of the backup minutes (and hope for a trade to be executed, giving Lamb the starter's job, with Livingston playing the role of a combo guard off the bench), or re-sign Courtney Lee, and have Lamb be a 3rd string SG?

Choosing the first seems to make the team worse in the short term, but lets a very young player get playing time early on so that we can see what he brings to the table at the NBA level. The second choice practically erases the possibility of him getting playing time, barring a trade during the season, or an injury.

Personally, I'm in favor of the former because I'd like to see what Lamb can do.

2. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Great thread title.

3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Resign lee trade martin. Make Lee the 6th man.

4. Prince

Prince Member

Courtney Lee doesn't walk, he runs.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Neither of your options. Trade Kmart, let lee and lamb battle for a spot

1 person likes this.
  6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

No. Re-sign Lee and trade Martin for whatever we can get, even if it’s just cap space. Hate Martin's game, hate Martin's attitude, hate everything about Martin.

7. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Where's the let Jeremy Lamb start option? :confused:

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

We nees his defense... trade kmart...

10. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

In my mind, this sounds like the best option; HOWEVER, there are a few factors to take in to consideration:

a) would Morey trade Martin when his trade value is arguably at its lowest? I don't think so, so this doesn't seem like a viable option.

b) re-signing Lee will eat cap space that could be valuable in the future.

c) let's say we elect to take this option, but Lamb blossoms quickly in to a great talent. At that point, we're either a) still bringing Lamb off the bench unnecessarily, or b) we relegate Lee to the bench because he is the lesser player, leaving him disgruntled, which can affect his play and, consequently, his trade value.

11. AFS

AFS Member

This.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Start Lamb, let Courtney Lee walk, and trade Martin. That's what I want.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

This ...

Why the hell wasn't that an option ?

14. yobod

yobod Member

Because we have to sign Lee if we want him to "battle it out" with Lamb.

He can't battle it out unless we sign him.

15. m_scott

m_scott New Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Among Rockets expected housekeeping moves today will tender qualifying offer to Courtney Lee.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/218782467220443136" data-datetime="2012-06-29T19:06:19+00:00">June 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Martin is an expiring. He doesnt really need to get his stock up to get traded. Teams will want him sooner, rather than later, so that they can evaluate him for the yea and figure out what do with him.

Lee's going to be re-signed at a good price. Taking that into consideration, and his age, he won't be hard to trade if needed, or if we keep him, he won't be overpaid.

Trade Martin, split the time at the 2 between Lamb and Lee.. If we unclog the SF spot, Lamb could potentially play some there as well, once he puts on some weight.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Am I missing something here? Why would Lamb be third string if Lee was signed?

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Resign Lee... let hm amd Lamb battle for starting job...
    trade Kmart to Minnesota already (along with a pf or 3...).... id love Pekovic or Derrick Williams, but at this point I'd settle for darko...lol

19. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

That choice makes it seems like I'm choosing to keep Martin and bench lamb. I want C. Trade Martin for whatever then let Lamb and Lee battle for postion

20. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I've resisted tanking, but don't see any real options now, unless we just put on more band-aids (Gasol, ect). C-Lee has been an inconsistant starter since his Orlando days. If we're not competing, why keep him? Let him walk and allow our youngsters the playing time they need.