1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Letting Chuck Hayes Sign FA Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WoodlandsBoy, Jul 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Okay so at what point do we not match Chucks contract.

Assuming a 4/5 year deal

2. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Chuck will be back....no way he is getting crazy money, Houston likes him, he comes cheap, its been reported we will resign him

3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

way to end a thread :(

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

start out at 3.5 and the contract can move up to 4 or 5 mill by ends time. not bad for someone undersized and with not basketball talent. I dont see any other team offering him more than 5 mill a year but who knows. Foyle got 10 mill :eek:

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It will be very interesting to see what Hayes is offered by the Rockets.

I think one of the intended consequences of the Rockets making it well known that they fully intend to re-sign Chuck is to discourage other teams from making him any offers. This way, Hayes will have to sit by almost all summer while other free agents sign their deals and other teams use up their MLEs. Meanwhile, the Rockets will fill out the rest of their roster while knowing that Hayes can't sign elsewhere. But if no one else tries to sign Chuck to an offer sheet (I haven't heard of a single team targeting him in free agency), what do the Rockets offer him? Fortunately, they don't have to worry (too much) about insulting him with an initial offer, since they can always match a higher offer later. Still, I could envision a scenario where Chuck ends up re-signing, or the Rockets end up matching an offer sheet, for an amount far in excess of what people on this BBS value Hayes at.

6. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Where is reported? Any Links?

The way I look at it. He had great numbers last year in +/- (thanks to Juwan), wins at position & rebound rate. Any stat geek could see he is well worth 3-4 million a year.

I hope you are right but I doubt it.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets should wait on those offer sheets to come in. If they do not, a two year league minimum contract would be in order. Why overpay?

8. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

just as a sign of respect, he should get offered more. rarely do guys 'deserve' a couple/3/4 million a year playing basketball, but i would say chuck has earned it.

9. mag

mag Contributing Member

Earned what? He barely can make free throws and layups.
    He is a hard worker and 2 - 2.5 mill should be more than enough.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

you kidding? his hard work made him improve his layups by alot at the end of the season. he always had offense rebounds, and fit yao realy well. also his free throws, he might have missed them, but he always had 2nd chance, because of lane violation and made them pay for it. :D hayes were the only few players that didn't choke in the playoff, see howard and luther. he and battier made the opponent players think twice before they drive, because their always there taking a charge. without hayes, we wouldn't have won 52 games. reggie evans is just like hayes except for height, and he makes 5-6 million dollar year.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

No reason to overpay, but you don't want to lowball him either. Paying less than he deserves assures he's out the door in a year.

Reading up in the Coon FAQ, I found this very interesting section about the "Gilbert Arenas Provision." It has very limited applicability to Chuck Hayes, because some team would need to want to spend more than the MLE on him for it to be relevant.

What it would mean for the Rockets and Hayes is that the Rockets will always be able to match, but it may kill us 3 years from now if they offer enough. It also means Hayes cannot make more than MLE money this coming season but can build in a huge raise (if he was worth that much) for later.

In any case, in a free market, I could see someone offering a bit more than half an MLE on Hayes, say $3-3.5 million, and preserve the rest for another free agent. Since it is not a free market, I don't think he'll get any offers. Assuming a 4-year deal, I don't think I'd match beyond $4 million.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#36

12. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

In the interest of full disclosure I don't like Chuck Hayes very much. I don't think he's a good player. I would gladly let him walk.

13. AMD

AMD Member

I would say he's at least worth 2-2.5 mil a year. He's a hard worker and gives us a lot of extra possessions on the offensive glass. I don't think he's a great shot blocker but from a rebounding standpoint, he reminds me of a smaller Ben Wallace...he can rebound, plays with a lot of energy but can't score well at all.

14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

2-4 million...i would agree. but certainly not league min. sorry if i think one of the good guys in the league should not be lowballed

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

For an undersized backup Power Forward without any decent offence should be very happy with $2 mil per year, especially considering that he might not even fit into the new team considering Coach 'A' is making is it an offensive team.

16. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'd only gamble and low ball him if we can obtain a legit PF. Anyways, i think 3 million is more than enough for his skills. However, if he starts every game he would definitely want and arguably deserve more money. :confused:

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Absolutely right. His replacement may be five pounds lighter, but Carl Landry is almost two inches taller than Chuck Hayes. Our empowered PFs will be overpowering!

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I liked the way Hayes shut down Boozer in the playoffs.

The Rockets are actively trying to make a backup Hayes at best next year. Add in that the Rockets will also want to give rookie Carl Landry some PT and Hayes may not average more than 10 mpg.

19. okeezie

okeezie Member

Yao is the one who got abused by Boozer. Don't blame Chuck.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Heck, the Jazz would have trounced the Rockets in that series if it weren't for Chuck Hayes and his suffocating defense on Mehmet Okur. He (and, believe it or not, Juwan Howard) played excellent defense on Okur (an All-Star THIS SEASON) and shut him down for almost the entire series. If Okur were able to ever get two shots in a row off without Hayes all over him, then I don't think this series ever sees a Game 7.