1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Letter to V-SPAN

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Foutixx, Jul 4, 2007.

1. zilches

zilches Member

The American thing wasn't meant to be directed at you. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Maybe it is just a human thing...you have your own agenda for V-Span. I think that he has his own life to live. I guess that is our disagreement.

If he ain't happy in the States, then let it go, it wasn't meant to be...that's all.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Of course I'm disappointed, but that doesn't change the facts.

(or the fact that the more I know, the more I know I don't know ... :) )

He is what he is, and that is manifested by what one does for all to see.

He's hurting a lot more than just his mommy's feelings. He's hurting the Rockets, their fans, his country's reputation and those who might want to go where he couldn't.

I don't feels sorry for him, his dishonor makes me mad. Some people, like Yao, choose to become better, not bitter, turning challenges into opportunities to grow. They choose to overcome, not be overwhelmed, to be victors, not victims, to improve, not make excuses. There are solutions without dishonor, but he chose dishonor, and now we suffer the consequences.

3. zilches

zilches Member

I recommend an excellent documentary on the life of Bob Dylan called "No Direction Home".

Bob Dylan was the darling of so many fans, but refused to live up to their expectations. In the long run, by being true to himself rather than all these notions of other people's expectations he became arguably the foremost artist of the 20th century.

Living up to other's expectations is hollow when abandoning your own. If his heart wasn't in it, then let it go.

4. howe070523

howe070523 Member

harsh but true...man ur too hardcore.

5. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

It's sad to see that he is willing to leave what he could have. More money, more respect... he could also bring his family to the states and live here.. but I guess he would rather live in Greece.. Good Luck!

6. blender

blender Member

VSpan's choices:

1) Make a lot of money but be miserable and most probably be relegated to a life on the bench worrying about playing time, fighting for backup minutes with a slight chance of becoming a starter, much less a star.

2) Make probably a lot less money but be happy, spending time with the people you love in the country you love and not worry about playing time.

I don't blame him at all for making choice No. 2. Be happy VSpan.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

My biggest beef with V-Span is not his choice, since it is his life and I have no right to judge his priorities. But rather the fact that he breached his 3-yr contract after only a year. A contract goes both ways. The Rockets have to pay him his millions no matter what he does on the court the next 3 years. And he has the obligation to play for ONLY the Rockets during this time.

It's one thing if he was afraid of the NBA and not coming here at all. I'd be cool with that. Or if he only signs a 1 year contract because he has reservations about the culture shock. I'm also ok with that.

But the man signed a 3-year contract to play basketball with the Rockets. If he wasn't fully commited to the Rockets for these 3 years, then he shouldn't have signed the contract. Pure and simple.

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

VSpan!,

You SUCK!! Ahaahahaahahahahahahahahah........... :D :D

9. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

I agree with that...Mentioned in the other thread how bringing his mom over was a a bad idea with regards to adjusting....

An extra factor we need to remember though is that Span's father died at a young age..... Leading to a family bond between him, his bro and his mother whose strength has been well documented by greek press before...

10. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

greek...mother...dead father...family bond...emo....unnatural attachment to mother....

This screams Oedipus Complex

11. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

Or simply strong family ties....Always been the case in Greek culture :)

12. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Family ties is one thing. He shouldn't have made the decision to come here and sign to a two year contract if he wasn't willing to stay. I know a lot of you want to wish him well, and in general, so do I, but we spent time, money, and effort training him. To say that he needs to do what's best for himself doesn't cut it. He let down a lot of people: the Rockets, the fans, and Greek American basketball fans. We have a right to be dissapointed with him.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

or it screams he is a chump. last time I checked MANY countries had strong family ties.

14. Madman George

Madman George Member

It is hard to go to a new country and start fresh. I moved to Australia when I was 12 and I was lucky that my family in Australia was very open minded and introduced me to multiculturalism.
    But some people find it very hard to adjust to a totally new way of life and a different culture and this is a bigger factor for Greek people due to various cultural factors. We cant be sure how hard Vspan tried to adjust but I don't think it was hard enough. Mano, I just wish more people in Greece would see how massive the world really is. (something that is gradually happening with Greece becoming a multicultural society itself).

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to have him gone, We dont need guys with this kind of lack of character such as Span

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well in spite of v-span I hope some of the greek fans hang around and cheer for the rockets. we will gladly welcome you guys.

17. alex_jr

alex_jr Member

I'm def sticking around...I'm disappointed in how things turned out with Span but I'm still rooting for the rockets....

Cept in the Panathinaikos vs Rox game in october....I'm green at heart :D

That REALLY will be an interesting game ....

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you know what I don't get is being a professional athlete and being afraid to test yourself. it's one more year....it's not that much in the grand scheme of your life if you want to know if you could have made it. how selfish is his family for not supporting him? and how weak is v-span for not telling his family to wait to see if he can make it under the right circumstances with the right coach?

19. thesaint

thesaint Member

Man i had so much expectations from Span!! What a dissapointment!!! I really thought this would have been a breakout year for him with the coaching changes n all. But seriously i see now why JVG didnt play him because he prolly cried n whined about playing time. Real athletes dont cry n moms calling to get his son back n stufff.....seriously very pathetic. Honestly if Spanoulis has any confidence in his game than he has no other place to prove it n be something than in the NBA but he is letting go the opportunity that he is getting!!!

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

John Lucas had a monster preseason and he got a bit hyped to where the Rockets HAD to keep him, they COULDNT let him go to another team. Yet if Lucas asks to get dealt or cut to go to a better place for himself there'd hardly be a BLIP of news. Why, cuz everyone's expectation came back down to earth and Lucas was just the expendable ball-hogging midget. If he said I dont want to be a Rocket anymore he wouldnt get NEAR the fury Spanoulis is receiving back and get called a quitter/contract breacher, whatever..

I'm really asking, WHY'S this Spanoulis thing so different and so compelling to people? It HAS to be the big time hype that people bought into. The best thing to happen to him was actually the worst thing - the big game against the U.S.A. in the World Championships. EVERYONE'S hopes got up including his own, just to be let down. And though he has a right to pursue whats best for him and has feelings, everyone's taking it out on Spanoulis for not coming through...

I'd say its a TAD unfair that there's another standard for him like that. Just a tad though, cuz he did bring it upon himself with his actions, mannerisms, expressions, and his pouty homesickness, Not practicing hard enough, that kind of thing. He surely didnt help out his situation. But it is his right to do what makes him happy...in the end its still all the same, his decision to come and go has put everyone in a bind and people are either going to hate it or like it. Obviously the hate's showing through more than the like :)

I'd say to Spanoulis...good luck in whatever he does and dont live for people, like he's seemingly doing. But do some damage control and dont close down doors like you're doing and don't play a victim to circumstances. Be a man and say it was good, i tried, it didnt work out now & maybe I'll try again later, just that now isnt the time...that wouldnt be too hard, would it?