1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Major

Major Member

Why does someone have to be proven? Or course a coaching change will be a gamble. But Drew's strength was super-recruiting and then letting the players run around a bunch. If he's not super-recruiting anymore, what's his real value, and what are Baylor's real expectations

Why not look for an up and coming coach to build on the foundation Drew built? If they take a step backwards, so be it. The idea that everyone needs someone proven is crazy. Look at college football and how much success non-proven coaches had in the last decade - Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, Pete Carroll, Jimbo Fisher, Gus Malzahn, Chip Kelly, etc. And these were coaches that big time top-tier programs hired. Even those schools aren't setting a standard of only taking proven commodities.

2. Mattj

Mattj Member

They don't have to be proven. I guess I just assume that Baylor would hire someone with head coaching experience rather than an assistant from an elite program.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm stunned Baylor won that game. Legitimately stunned.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The second win of the season against a top 10 team. Maybe we can still sneak into the tourney.

5. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Just when we were ready to write off the season... There's still a long way to go, so I'll keep my expectations tempered. Still can't afford many more WVU or TTU type losses.

I'd love to see Heslip continue to get shots like that, and Gathers continue to get around 25 minutes a game when fouls aren't an issue.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They can't afford any more of those losses. They need to sweep their remaining games against TCU, TT and WVU for sure. Beating ISU at home would be helpful.

I was very impressed by the win. Several times it looked like OSU was about to take over, but Baylor never wavered. I thought the combination of the absolutely awful flagrant call against Gathers (seriously one of the worst calls in recent memory) and the Smart dunk to make it a 4-pt trip and tie the game was the nail in the coffin.

7. MadMax

Huge game against the Horns tonight.

8. MadMax

My Lord, how many times did a Texas post catch the ball standing 3 feet under the basket? Geez. Charmin Soft.

9. sammy

I'll be happy with a tournament win at this point. I think they can get it.

The team should make it if they win out.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

2-1 gets us in.

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

What a turnaround for the Bears, definitely a lock for the dance.

12. MadMax

I'm blown away. I didn't think they had this in them.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Big 12 Championship Game

FIRE SCOTT DREW!!

Have some faith like your guy McClain! ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What a performance by those Fightin' Baylor Bears, beating Texas 86-69. Bears play Iowa State for the Big 12 title. Sic 'Em!</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/444680549961961472">March 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Baylor, 24-10, is the 7th seed playing I State, 4th seed. Bears beat TCU, Oklahoma and UT. Six consecutive victories.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/444680771148599296">March 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Baylor trying to become the first Big 12 team to win 4 games in 4 days and win the tournament. Terrific coaching by Scott Drew.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/444681020088918016">March 15, 2014</a></blockquote>

Congrats and Sic'Em!

#1233 J.R., Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  14. MadMax

Can't believe it. Amazing turnaround.

15. Zergling

Zergling Member

Your coach is still Scott Drew though. Joke's on you!

16. MadMax

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. sammy

His teams always play well when it counts most. Even those NIT finals teams were beating ranked opponents to close out the season.

I believe this is our third big 12 championship game in 5 years. Let's get it.

18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

What a roller coaster season. I can't believe that only 2 weeks ago, I was ready to see him go :eek:

Really hope they pull this one out. I think we'll have an elite 8 run on our hands if we close out the Big 12 tourney. Sic 'Em!!!

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

Wow, Baylor got the hookup from the NCAA selection committee! 6 seed and getting to play in San Antonio. At this point it should be a disappointment if they don't get to the Sweet 16.

Pretty clear they value "what have you done for me lately" way more than what you did before that, because otherwise it's unjustifiable to have them seeded over Texas who beat them twice and have more impressive resume wins.

20. DwightHoward13

#Blessed for Baylor. UT has Michigan in the Round of 32 if they get past ASU. Not really fair, but UT should not have lost to Tech 10 days ago.