1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Astro101, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

I think this is the team we all expected to see all year. I don't know what exactly has brought this on, but I hope it sticks with us for a couple more days.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think it was as much about Kansas as it was about Baylor. If you don't foolishly double-team Aldrich, and if you close off the lane so that Collins doesn't draw your entire defense in, they're not all that great. Baylor hit some big triples when they had to, and that was enough.

I actually think Texas is a little bit worse matchup for Baylor, in that Pittman is a monster inside and James has the length to deal with Rogers better than a lot of teams can. But obviously Texas doesn't have the offense to blow many teams out, so it should be close. I expect Texas to hold a slight lead for a lot of the game, but I think Baylor will have a shot in the last five minutes and we'll see if they can bury some huge threes again. It would be a great story.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, I get that. but i've watched bu play a ton this season....and rarely have i seen them play with that kind of intensity. and rarely have i seen them play as well in the final minutes as they did today. they were the anti-bears today. they did the things they hadn't been doing..some of which included merely expending some effort on the defensive end.

4. Astro101

Astro101 Member

We've lost to UT, I think, 24 times in a row?

That streak needs to end.

5. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

true. i noticed today more than ever that jerrells sucks at passing...just horrible and lace should have been starting for a while..

hendu def took a step backwards in his senior season

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

If Baylor hits their 3s they can beat anyone, and its a mystery why it took them so long to get it together. I think they have a legit shot at taking these 2 games and saving their season.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They should make a rule where the conference season champ either doesn't participate in the tournament or gets a bye until the championship game. Why I am posting this here? No idea.

8. MadMax

I've said all season...over and over again...lace needs to be playing more minutes and probably needs to be starting.

9. The Cat

Baylor needs to be aggressive and take the ball to the basket, and it has to start with Jerrells setting the tone. I don't see any way Baylor can beat UT in a slow, half-court game. Pittman's just too good and will eat them alive inside. Baylor has to ideally get him in foul trouble, but if they can't, at least take advantage of his fatigue issue and tire him out.

By the way, and yes there's probably some homerism here, but I think the winner of this game needs to be cheering hard for Oklahoma State. If Mizzou is in the final, whoever wins between BU/UT will be playing their fourth game in four days tomorrow, and doing so at the pace Missouri plays at would wear them out in a hurry, imo.

10. MadMax

No homerism there at all. Mizzou is the better team. I'd rather play OSU.

11. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Texas has the athletes to stay with Missouri. Mizzou has to worry about Dexter Pittman this time around. Things have changed since Mizzou's win over Texas. Balbay and Pittman now start for one thing. Balbay only got 2 minutes against Mizzou and Pittman only had 23 minutes (yet got 25 and 7). Mizzou will probably get destroyed on the boards and won't have an answer for Pittman. Just like Baylor, they have to hope they make a good % of their threes.

12. The Cat

There's some serious exaggerations going on there. First of all, "get destroyed"? Texas outrebounded Mizzou 36-29 in Austin -- an advantage, but hardly "getting destroyed." Secondly, Pittman "only" had 23 minutes? Are we talking about the same guy that's played 30+ minutes one time in his entire career? The same guy whose max minutes in conference play (pre-tourney) was 24?

It's not like Texas just discovered Pittman was good. He's a monster. The problem is his weight and his inability to play for long stretches. If you honestly think he's going to play significantly more than 23 minutes on his fourth game in four nights against an up-tempo team like Missouri, I'd like to see what you're smoking. (And that's not even mentioning the foul trouble Mizzou got him into, which tends to happen when you put a slow, tired, plodding player in that environment.)

Mizzou has to make a good % of their threes? Dude, in Austin, they made 33% from three, a pathetic 52% from the line, and still won. They didn't play particularly well at all. They won because they had superior athletes, especially up front. I'm not saying I know Mizzou would win a rematch, because I don't. But to make it out like they'd be the underdog (which is what it sounds like you're doing) is just silly. Mizzou has been a superior team all season, as evidenced by overall record, Big 12 record and a head-to-head win in Austin.

13. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Pay attention to what Pittman has been doing in the last few games. This Pittman is dominating and it's not going to be anymore different in the Mizzou game. Either they allow Dexy to destroy Mizzou or they have to go zone, opening up looks for Abrams, Johnson, and James.

The whole "we didn't play well and still won" is a BS argument. Texas' defense has a lot to do with that, and it's not going to change. Mizzou had the better season no doubt and will be rewarded for that with the higher seed, but I don't know if they're the better team right now. We'll see what happens assuming both teams advance.

14. The Cat

Dude, Pittman had 25 and 7 in the first game, in Austin... and Mizzou still won. Yes, this Pittman is dominating. So is the one that we faced a month ago, and that wasn't enough for you guys. You're going to have to have other players step up to win this game, not just Dexter.

Also, I don't think Texas' defense had a lot to do with Mizzou shooting 52% from the line.

15. The Cat

Back on topic, I think you have to feel somewhat good if you're a Baylor fan. Texas shot the best I've seen them shoot all year in that half, and they're only up six. I think this one's going down to the wire.

16. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Mizzou is better and more balanced than OU, and for a team that likes to run and gun they are very under control. Thats what I like about them. They're poised and mature-unlike the Sooners.

Don't be surprised if they make a deep run in the tourney.

And just a little FYI, Dexter's dad played at OSU, but for some reason we didn't offer him and gave the scholly to Gary Flowers instead. Boy, BIG mistake huh? :p

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Niiiice. But y'all probably missed Yao's 3. So I dunno... But niiiice. Fun to see y'all get in assuming you don't replace TAMU.

18. Major

Major Member

It's going to be entertaining to read these threads if Baylor wins the B12 Title and manages to knock A&M out of the NCAA Tourney.

Texas, OU, Kansas & Missou are in.
    OSU is almost definite with their B12 tourney run.

A&M should be in, but the B12 probably doesn't get 7 teams. Baylor jumping in the mix might knock them out.

19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think A&M makes it in even if Baylor wins tomorrow, but I think I'll root against you guys just in case ;)

Pretty good run here from the Bears, but if they don't win tomorrow you'll just be left wondering where this was all year. Everyone knew they could play, and its amazing it took this long for them to start playing well. It'll be an interesting game tomorrow.

20. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

Damn. Congrats to Baylor. First win in 25 games against Texas. Cat was right when he/she said Pittman was going to get worn out. Foul trouble killed him and then was taken out. There are a few Horns fans that are glad A.J. Abrams is leaving this year. When the game gets close, he chucks up bad shot after bad shot. He thinks he's really good and wants to emulate his hero Allen Iverson, but he's nowhere close. He's a great shooter but can't create his own shot.

Baylor needed this game much more and played like it. Now it's at least 5 days off and praying we're not stuck in the 8/9 seed.

BU winning tomorrow won't kick out A&M, but it would be so hilarious. Some people will be upset if they see the Big 12 get 7 teams in, but that's how it goes.