1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Astro101, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ryan Bowen MVP

lol A&M managed to outrank Cornell and Stanford in something? Here's another wacky article from a more prominent news source -
    http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/fsb/0708/gallery.bestcolleges_undergrads.fsb/3.html

2. grambolo

grambolo Contributing Member

Here is a more reputable source for you:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/college

Notice A&M's rank. Notice Baylor's rank.

Notice Baylor's cost.

Best colleges for making money:

1) TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY

Median Salary 3 Years After Graduation: $49,700

Out-of-State Degree Cost (Class of 2005): $47,213

Median Salary 15 Years After Graduation: $96,100

Out-of-State Degree Cost (Class of 1993): $18,297

Average Payback: 315%

http://www.smartmoney.com/Personal-Finance/College-Planning/colleges-that-pay-off/

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-ed...aking-Money;_ylt=AqS80eiSRIFkgM7Gk3.pM4e7YWsA

3. grambolo

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Cheaters

Baylor Pays for SAT Gains

October 15, 2008

Baylor University is being called "the poster child for SAT misuse" after the student newspaper revealed an unusual practice: paying admitted freshmen to retake the SAT and offering large financial rewards for those whose scores go up by certain levels.

Hysterical!

But enough of this. It's gone from fun to sad.

Ags, give them their thread back and let them police their own now. There are enough good folks in Waco not to stand for those who make fun of tragedy...

Good luck the rest of the way!

5. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Thanks, Hank! See you back in here in a few days.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nope, not this time. I'm really gone!

With one parting shot, because the original statement was just too stupid to ignore...

"And as far as T1 goes, Baylor made that accomplishment a long time ago after it entered the Big 12. Real T1 schools (see: Harvard, Yale) have an endowment of at least a billion dollars. Baylor has this. A&M's is barely around $200 million."

Really?

Re: endowment...

Baylor has 1.06 billion as of 2008. Pretty good for a small school actually.

TAMU?

Let's put it this way. Our annual budget is about the same as Baylor's entire endowment at slightly over a billion dollars a year. As for that actual endowment? Top 5 nationally among public schools, so not bad in that regard, but let me toss you some numbers...

We just recently completed a 1.5 billion dollar fundraising campaign. By itself, the results of that campaign are larger than collective total of your entire university endowment. Go ahead and let that sink in for a moment.

But it's not all good news. The economy has been a b**** and we've taken an extreme hit financially. Yep. We're hurting and I'll admit it!

We lost the equivalent of your ENTIRE endowment between 2007 and 2008 alone.

Yep. Right down the ****ter.

1.2 billion dollar loss, taking us down to 3.9 billion, or still nearly 4 times what you have...

But it's not about that. Nor should it be!

You went to Baylor for whatever reasons, and I am sure it is great for you. Enjoy it for what it is, just be careful about throwing around "facts" that you can't back up. It's embarassing when you get called out on it!

And with that, this time honestly, I say goodbye!

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Cheers.

Funny cuz Ive never opened the Aggie basketball thread. You have too much time on your hands

8. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Back on the real topic...

Good news: We beat Nebraska today.

Bad news: We play Kansas tomorrow.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Honestly, Baylor has the right bracket setup to make a run. I know Kansas plays well as a team, but they don't have anywhere near the overall talent of Oklahoma. Likewise, both of the Oklahoma teams (massive home court advantage) are in the opposite side of the bracket and Baylor would avoid them until the finals, if at all (and of course the crowd support would be behind Baylor against Kansas). I don't think anyone is particularly scared of UT or KSU.

With that said, knowing Baylor, Aldrich will eat them alive tomorrow and that will be that.

10. The Cat

Baylor up 21-9 on Kansas early.

This time of year, so much comes down to raw talent. For whatever reason Baylor has no consistency, but the talent is there. On the flip side, Kansas isn't as good as people think. Self has done an amazing job and they play phenomenally well together, but they're a very limited team from a talent perspective. Only one real creator off the dribble (Collins), and while Aldrich is a very large man, he's not exactly a guy you can dump it into and expect him to create his own offense on a regular basis. Baylor can win this.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

BU looking good so far. We'll see how that holds up.

Cat - interesting take on KU. As funny as it sounds to say, I actually think KU is a sleeper. I think Self has teams ready to play. I think people have overlooked them because everyone graduated. I could see them making noise in the tournament.

12. MadMax

queston:

does BU have to win the whole tourney to get in the NCAA tourney?

if they beat KU today...and beat Texas tomorrow....would that be enough??

13. The Cat

I think Bill Self is the best coach in the country, hands down, and I think everyone slept on them during the regular season far too much. I'm just skeptical about this particular team in the tourney, because deep tourney runs are centered around athleticism and outside shooting, and they're lacking there. They're also very, very young and have been a very different team outside of Lawrence.

With that said, it doesn't matter if they go out in the first round or make a deep run -- what they've already accomplished is amazing enough. Truth be told, I think Baylor has a more talented roster than KU right now. The difference in their seasons is all about the leadership and coaching.

14. The Cat

I don't see any way a team that went 5-11 in conference in the regular season with an RPI in the 70s could get in. If the Big 12 somehow got an seventh team, which I highly doubt, it would be Kansas State, who has the same RPI profile as Baylor but went 9-7 in conference and got the No. 4 seed.

Baylor needs to win it. I think they've got a good chance today and tomorrow, but I'm afraid everyone's going to fall victim to OU this week. They've got clearly the most talented team, they're motivated after choking the regular-season title away down the stretch, and they're playing at home. Honestly, I think the best chance for them to lose might be tonight against Okie State, who is also hot and also has the HCA...

15. MadMax

Agreed with all that.

KU is likely going to find a way to win this game, anyway. Only a 4 point game now at half.

16. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Baylor looks good at the end of the game. Good win for them.

17. MadMax

I'm shocked...didn't see it coming.

18. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Jesus. Freakin' Baylor. This was the team I expected all season long.

2 down, 2 to go!

19. MadMax

That's part of what is so frustrating. Watching that game...if they had played like that, particularly on the defensive end of the ball...like they were capable of...then they'd be tourney-bound.

20. grambolo

Great win for Baylor. :eek: