1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about the Rockets' real Issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Dec 28, 2015.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Well your post just answered the OP question on what the real issue is...

That first half they were looking freaking good on offense...

Hey Thanks for the info guys....

T_Man

2. Jerry36

Jerry36 Member

All the good teams have to do is play the first half. In the second half apply defensive pressure and the rockets will give you the game.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, so much for the "they just can't hit shots" analysis by some people. They were hitting shots and still lost last night.

It is clear to me that it is not the lacking of shooting accuracy but the lack of some intangibles that can't be fully analyzed by numbers alone.

I know lav8 thinks this is just "rhetoric" or whatever. I don't care. The Rockets are good at finding ways to lose.

#103 Easy, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Anyone that has ever played sports, been part of a winning team, or coached them understands the importance of chemistry and camaraderie, sometimes winning can mask problems - but more often than not the team that wins it all has talent and chemistry.

DD

5. T_Man

Yeah I got into a long discussion with that comment....

Stats don't tell the entire story...

T_Man

6. DaDakota

Stats are for "After the fact" - Seasoned eyeballs are far more important.

I doubt Jerry West worried about Stats when building all his championship teams....including...btw the Warriors.

DD

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

larsv8 is also a moron that thought McHale was on par with Pop and PJ. There needs to be middle ground when it comes to issues, he's too far on the "criticize rockets and you not good fan" spiel.

I like your point btw, and you are 100% correct in stating that one of the biggest flaws with the team is one that can't be assessed quantitatively. Its the chemistry and attitude the rockets go out with night after night.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Beat me to it. Its actually sad that it needs to be stated though. You would think fans avid enough to discuss basketball on this site would already acknowledge this.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This thread has gone far from where larsv8 intended

People are just talking general clichés and banalities

10. dmoneybangbang

This. We turn it over too much and play inconsistent defense.

11. Mr. Clutch

We need more heart

We need better chemistry

We need leadership

We need a real (all caps) head coach

Morey needs to feel nervous about his job

Les needs to spend money

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well no, not really.

Yesterday was more of the same. The opponent got a ton of extra possessions due to Turnovers and Defensive Rebounding, which is basically exactly what was summarized in the first post. I do recall making the hit open shots argument earlier in the year, when we weren't hitting open shots, but that hasn't been an issue really since late November.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No rebounding from Ariza or Beverley. Dmo can't rebound to save his life and a lack of Jones or any other 3rd / 4th big really hurt the team. 69.5% Defensive rebounding isn't going to cut it.

As for turnovers, Brewer and Dmo were bad, Harden also troubling, although some of Hardens were due to his teamates bad hands or not being where they were supposed to be.

Last nights game really just re-emphasized what we already know. We need another big who can rebound the ball well.

13. DaDakota

Why do you always make excuses for Harden's mistakes?

His turnovers are his alone, if a player is not where he is supposed to be, don't pass the ball into the stands.

You continually criticize role players like DMo and his rebounding, yet he had 7 yesterday, yet you continually make excuses for Harden. BTW the hold the ball while the shot clock expires that Harden did/does counts as a team turnover, not his...even though it was all him.

Be consistent, if a player sucks - say it, Harden can have a bad game, it is ok to admit it, doesn't make him a bad player.

DD

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Well because they weren't really mistakes?

One looks like a kicked ball not called:

One Capella fumbles the ball instead of getting a dunk, but it was a very gettable ball by Capella.

One Howard just fumbles the ball out bounds

One Brewer collapses into the paint on a fast break instead of spacing the floor like he should have.

http://on.nba.com/1IDcEPe

Aren't you the one who says he should trust his teammates? How about his teammates stand where they should be or when they get a good pass, not fumble it out of bounds? Those aren't mistakes, those are the passes he is supposed to make.

Yea, Dmo's 7 rebounds were completely uncontested. 5 of the 7, there was no Hawk in sight. One is wide open and he manages to fumble it off the backboard and almost turn the ball over.

http://on.nba.com/1OtMAlK

4 of Milsaps offensive rebounds on Dmo

http://on.nba.com/1OtMKJQ

He sucks at rebounding. This is your problem, you have overdone it on how great Dmo is and you can't accept reality.

I accurately spread the issues onto many players, like any objective fan does. Its really not my problem that you like to make heros out of some our players and villains of others. That is on you.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

^^

This guy is an idiot whose basketball knowledge is on par with Jeremy Lin fans who used to make excuses for Lin's turnovers saying Asik couldn't catch the ball and would fumble it. LOL

Replace Lin and Asik with Harden and Capela/Dwight and the poster above with delusional no knowledge Lin fans and you have the same excuses

1 person likes this.
  16. T_Man

All the things you mentioned go back to what easy was saying about stats...

T_Man

17. Mr. Clutch

Except the stats are clearly worse in certain areas this year.

They do show up, you dont need to talk about hackneyed phrases like heart or platitudes like chemistry.

Those things are never even defined, they just allow the poster to claim whatever he wants.

Fire the coach, trade this guy, bench that guy, scare the GM...because heart and stuff!

18. T_Man

I totally agree with you....

I think what we're saying (I believe you're saying it also) is that a lot of the issues with the Rockets go beyond stats...

Too many people try to rely on or fix everything with stats on this board...

T_Man

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Your "accurate spread" somehow always excuses Harden and blames all other players, even though everyone can see the elephant in the room.

20. Mr. Clutch

Yes I agree. The worse play shows up in the stats, but whatever caused the problem has something to do with the player's characters