1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about Dwight's defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HtownRock, Mar 18, 2016.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Really???

Look at it again... Harden started to the right and then was in zone defense...

If he has bad ankles then sit....
    Yeah he should have been guarding his man and he wasn't and he didn't play help defense...

Yes, Howard should have played better defense..

T_Man

2. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I dunno man, the drives he had during the game looked like he could still move pretty decently. He usually has the opposing team's best defender on him every night. If he can go around them and finish at the rim with bad ankles, he can play defense. Jussss sayin'.

3. neruto

neruto Member

If you think Harden was in the same physical condition in that game, you must be blind, because he was clearly grimacing, was way slower with no explosiveness whatsoever. Him getting 24-16 is irrelevant, because that only means he would have played even better if he was not hurt, as he usually does against OKC. The sheer number of assists suggest that he was being more passive than aggressive.

BTW, those are not only two instances where Dwight f up during inbounds play. This has been an ongoing pattern throughout this season, and someone had to call him out on it.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

definitely not 100% on howard. There's so many other factors in that play that should of happened that dismiss this being 100% on howard. You aren't acknowledging the exposure of the lack of communication here which is a huge part in what makes a good defense.

If Adams walked to the basket being guarded one on one by Dwight without any players in the area that would be all on DH. That is not the case here.

5. neruto

neruto Member

Losing your man should be the first line of criticism in any defensive situation. Failing to help should be secondary focus, not first, especially when the help defender is physically hurt and had 5 fouls.

6. neruto

neruto Member

Losing your man should be the first line of criticism in any defensive situation. Failing to help should be secondary focus, not first, especially when the help defender is physically hurt and had 5 fouls.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

the funny thing is this is probably what makes the Rockets being the worst team in the league defensively. Thinking this exact same way.

I hope you realize team defense takes priority over individual. That's the basis of building a great defense

8. neruto

neruto Member

I would say among all the stupid errors we've made during inbounds play over this season, prob 70% of them was on Howard. He makes a lot of stupid decisions in those situations.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I've already said Adams getting open is Dwight's fault. But it's not arguable that Harden is guarding no one on the play, and he has the time and space to try and help Dwight out, but doesn't. Dwight looked at Harden right after the play, likely for that very reason, then pointed to himself, acknowledging it was ultimately his fault. But Harden's lack of help defense might show why you see Dwight trying to contest less shots. His teammates expect him to bail them out, but they stand in cement when he's beat.

Finally: If James Harden's ankle prohibits him from playing team defense, than he shouldn't be on the court.

1 person likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

however you decided to make up that random number i guess is on you so Ill just leave it at that.

11. neruto

neruto Member

I do acknowledge defense is primarily team effort. The reason I'm focusing on Dwight is there are ppl out there still believe that he's a great defender, when clearly he is not. We can disagree on that if you want, but eye-test and stats all suggest he's a mediocre defender now.

12. neruto

neruto Member

I will repeat this again, because some of you are just not getting it.

13. DVauthrin

I never said Harden was 100%. But if he was "healthy" enough to go, that means he's "healthy" enough to play basic help defense, especially in a two point game with 3 minutes left. If not, he should not be playing that night.

14. neruto

neruto Member

Doesn't matter. Your critical focus should be primarily on Howard, since he was the one who lost his man and f up that situation to begin with. Harden might be the second one to blame, but not the first, especially given the fact that he was hurt and had 5 fouls.

15. DVauthrin

Who here is saying this play ultimately doesn't fall on Dwight? I've already acknowledged that. But stop making excuses for Harden. His job was to play help defense on that play, and he didn't do it. If he has to play tentatively because of tender ankles and foul trouble, then he shouldn't be on the court for that play. But he was. Therefore, his lack of effort on the play is fair game.

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good assessment all around.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don't think anyone that has followed this team this year consistently still believes hes a great defender. Many of us have cited his regression more times than not. some people still think that beverley is a great defender. are you going to shift your focus later on them too?

18. neruto

neruto Member

I've never said anything to suggest Harden could've helped better in that situation. I'm saying your focusing way too much on Harden, when the first guy to blame is clearly Howard. Stop making excuses for Howard man, it's not like this is his first time he f up during the inbounds play.

He made the same mistake two games in a row, esp during the clutch time, and that was the problem I was referring to.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

why are you repeating a statement that is wrong if you're focus is on winning

20. DVauthrin

My focus is on why the play happened. The play happens because Durant sets a slight screen on Dwight(whether its an intentional pick or Ariza simply bringing Durant into Dwight's area can be debated), Dwight loses Adams as a result, and Harden doesn't slide over to help.

The one in Atlanta, Dwight was caught ball watching and let Horford get a free run at the rim. That is as inexcusable as Harden's laughable inbounds defense in Toronto a few weeks back.