1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about Chandler, Wilson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Aug 30, 2013.

?

Wilson Chandler, yes or no?

1. Yes.

26.6%
  2. Yes, but only in a 6th man role of the bench/after adding a better piece.

35.5%
  3. Yes, the Rockets need a guy with a neck tatoo.

18.5%
  4. No.

19.4%
  1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

(If it wasn't August I'd post this in the random trade idea thread, but since it is August and there is pretty nothing going on, I figured I might as well start a thread.)

So... how would y'all feel about Wilson Chandler on this team?

I'm bringing him up, because it's very much possible none of the All-Star (caliber) PFs hit the trade market this year. LMA might. Bosh and Horford probably won't. Love is highly unlikely to.
    The Bucks seem to want to finish 8th again and their owner is said to love Ilyasova, so he might not hit the market either.
    Meanwhile, the Nuggets very conceivably could struggle coming out of the gate (no Iggy, no Gallinari until December, new coach, no Koufos, more McGee) and Chandler's production might go down some (he won't get to play PF much with Faried, Hickson and Arthur there and he'll probably have to take over more ball-handling duties than ideal), which is why it's quite possible that he'll become available (for [fairly] cheap) at the deadline. Chandler was brought in by a different regime, too.

I know some of y'all think the Rockets might just wait it out and go after Love or LMA with cap space in 2015, which I suppose is possible, though I would think they'd much prefer to add a quality piece now and use their cap room in 2015 as leverage in trade talks.
    Not saying Chandler is that piece and he obviously would not be my first choice, but I do think he could work really well here.

I'd prefer him to Jeff Green, for one (more equipped to be a low-usage role player, better shot selection, slightly better all-around game).
    I'd also rather have Chandler than Thad Young (similar to Chandler, but less range on his jumper), I'd much rather have Chandler than David Lee (awful on D, limited range, rebounding somewhat redundant next to Dwight, high usage player, high salary) and I'd rather have Chandler than Ryan Anderson (gives you nothing on D, one dimensional on offense, very limited all-around game, awful playoff track record [supposedly due to him being so limited on offense], high asking price [if the Pelicans reports of Pelicans wanting Asik+ are correct]).
    Paul Millsap and others may be little better in a vacuum, but I'd like to think that Chandler is a little better fit for this team.

Reasons to like Chandler:

-- Has improved his shot selection over the years and thus become much more efficient:

[​IMG]
    (No graph for 2011/12 since he only appeared in 8 NBA games after signing in China during the lock-out.)

-- Has played in a similar systems (D'Antoni-Knicks, Karl-Nuggets) and been a positive contributor to his teams:

[​IMG]

-- Versatile on offense. Good spotting up. Effective as a pick&pop player. A threat of the bounce. Can create his own shot if necessary. Can be effective as a pick&roll ball-handler in special situations/sets. Runs the floor well, can bring the ball up himself, good in transition.
    -- Position versatile, good perimeter defender. Probably best as a stretch-4 offensively, but can also play some SF and at times SG, even. Can guard some PGs, too. Can switch a lot of (ball-)screens without ending up being mismatched.
    -- On a fair contract ($6.76M/year on average for the next 3 years). Cheap enough to come off the bench, if you can add an even better PF in the process or later on.
    -- Shot 41.3% from 3 while attempting 4.2 threes/game (52/126) last year.
    -- Just turned 26 recently. Would fit the Rockets core from an age standpoint.
    -- Rockets were most effective playing small ball (vs. elite defenses) last year (via J.B. Bickerstaff)

Reason to be wary:

-- Injury prone? Has had sports hernia surgery, ankle surgery (2x) and hip surgery. Not counting his short stint in 11/12, still has only appeared in 187 games in his last 3 full seasons (62 games/year).
    -- Is he good enough to be a starter on a championship team?
    -- Is his 3-point shooting for real? Only a 33.5% shooter over his NBA career. Unlikely to stay at 41.3%, though mid to high 30s would probably still do.
    -- Hasn't produced in the playoffs. (Relatively small sample size of only 11 games, though. Probably was asked to do a little more than ideal last year. Had to take on more of the offense/ball handling, playing primarily the 3 with Gallinari out. Was playing primarily SG, matched up against Sefolosha in '10/11.)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hPI1bJzRV2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*(tattoo, obviously. can't edit the poll ;))

#1 HMMMHMM, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Only if he changes his name to Chandler Wilsons. His current name is too confusing.

Seriously though, he is a decent option. What would u trade for him, though? Would u rather have him than Asik or Lin? Will likely have to involve one of them given the salaries. And may require 3 team deals given that Denver is set at PG and C (seem committed to see the JaVale experiment through after trading Koufos).

We'll see how things turn out when the season starts. Will one of the current PFs prove competent? Will Casspi fill the stretch 4 role well enough? What will Denver do?

Speaking of Denver forwards, how about Gallinari? Will he be available or is he a core piece?

#2 Carl Herrera, Aug 30, 2013
  3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Guy is a more stable JR Smith, no? That's how I have seen him anyway. He's athletic, can shoot from deep, can play 2-4. I like his game. Dont know where he'd fit in, but apparently we like gathering guys who can play tweener.

4. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

He is not a 4. He is a three. I still wouldn't mind having him on the roster, he is a decent player and would be good for us off the bench.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Good read HMMMMM really enjoyed it.

My only question is, because he makes the apart which he does, it would require the release of Asik or lin.

Lets just assume we trade
    Asik to team X
    Chandler to Houston
    Team X player to Nuggets

Do u really think we get much better, we would have to rely on Greg smith at the 5 for defence unless camby shows somthing..

I would rather take the conservative approach and go for someone on a smaller scale contract until the 2015 offseason IMO.

Anyways good read, deserves more rep than 90% of the threads

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Fixed*

7. Turboman

Turboman New Member

Great post. I really like this guy

8. Convictedstupid

I was talking earlier in the summer with my cousin about Gallo being an answer for us at the 4 spot. But given his contract and what it would take to get him it may just be better to stand pat or get someone like Ily in the short run.

In a vacuum I really like him at the 4 for us though.

9. HMMMHMM

Thanks.

As of today, I would not trade Asik for Chandler, no. Not without getting an extra incentive, anyway.
    Obviously things change and if Howard and Asik aren't any effective playing together, you may have to re-consider your options at the deadline, though I probably still would hold onto Asik (it's tricky, because once you keep Asik beyond this upcoming trade deadline, his trade value probably goes down quite a bit, given that he'll be an expiring contract by next season and due for $15M, which thus essentially might lock you into plan cap space 2015).

Lin, I probably would trade for Chandler, because I think the downgrade from Lin to Beverley is rather insignificant (one could argue that Beverley fits better next to Harden, anyway) and I don't have much faith in Jones or D-Mo to be consistent contributers next season. I'd also be fine with Brooks (or Cannan, if he beats out Brooks) at backup PG. More so than D-Mo/Jones at PF, anyway.
    I also don't think Lin has much trade value, so if you could get Chandler for Lin (+ minor asset, if necessary), you could still trade Asik, picks, D-Mo and/or Jones for another, higher caliber PF (later on).
    Obviously the Nuggets do not have a need at PG, so, as you eluded to, a third team would have to be involved. I wonder if Hinkie would be interested in Lin, so that Carter-Williams could get brought along slowly. Something like Lin & D-Mo for Evan Turner (to DEN) for Chandler might work. Or not. Who knows.

I view Chandler as a 6th-man piece myself. Ideally, that is. I'd be fine with him starting for a bit, while waiting on other opportunities on the trade market to arise. If nothing else, you'd be getting a good look at him, have him develop chemistry with the rest of the guys and maybe he does turn out to be good enough to be your starting PF after all.

Who knows. Gallo does intrigue me, too. If he becomes available, I'd certainly take a long, hard look. I suppose Chandler may be better value for what he might be/end up being available for. Just to play devils advocate, what if Gallo doesn't quite work out as your 4? He's owed too much and too good a player to come off the bench. You'd have to ship him off to another team and sell low. Or trade Parsons and keep Gallo as your 3. Chandler, you can always bring him off the bench and have him be the backup 3/4. I don't think there's a whole lot of bust potential there with Chandler. Best case scenario he excels and is good enough to be your starter, worst case scenario his numbers regress a bit from this past season and he's still one of the better backups in the league.
    Don't get me wrong, though, I'd probably make a run at Gallo, if available.

#9 HMMMHMM, Aug 30, 2013
  10. conquistador#11

best no tattoo line up in the history of the nba
    Howard/Asik/Chandler*/Harden/Lin*

*those 2 might have matching tattoos but they're not visible only to each other and gfs who knows.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm always very leery of acquiring guys for the express purpose of playing them out of position. Can the guy play PF? Sure. Could he play it for us? Sure. But it's impossible (or, at least, disadvantageous) to employ a full-time small ball 4 unless he's a tolerable rebounder and inside defender in addition to his floor-stretching qualities. Chandler was 100th out of 143 rotation players in rebound rate among 6'8"+ guys. It's better than playing Parsons at the 4, certainly. But we'd be forced to play him exclusively at the 4 to get minutes to our already qualified bench wings at the backup 3. I'm not buying the idea myself.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's the best contract Denver has.

13. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I'd gladly take him, he was making real strides during the end of last year. I'm looking to see if he has a big break-out year next year

14. rogower

rogower Member

The advanced stats that Morey is looking at tell him that Wilson Chandler is okay but nothing special, and that Omri Casspi, who is signed to a minimum salary deal, is actually the better player. So I don't think Wilson Chandler is appealing to Morey, especially not at his price.

15. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Decent player on decent contract, but Morey is only interested in players who significantly outperform(or has legit potential to significantly outperform) their contracts...so no to him.

16. HMMMHMM

Which advanced stat(s) are you referring to?

WP?

WS, WS/48, PER, EWA, VA and RAPM all favor Chandler.

17. rogower

rogower Member

www.thenbageek.com

If you sort by WS/48 minutes, you will see that Morey seems to be using a similar model. I could be wrong but obviously I think I'm right. Chandler is okay but he is making a fair amount of money, plus, he's on the books for another year or two beyond this season. From a value (bang for your buck) standpoint, he seems to be a guy to avoid. The worst investment that teams make is the mid-sized contract ($5-$8 mil/year) to veteran role players. You'll notice that Morey avoids these contracts like the plague. Jeremy Lin was expected to be a good starting PG, rather than a role player. Omer Asik was expected to be a good starting C, not a role player. Morey is always looking for value. He looks for undervalued assets he can sign for cheap, like Carlos Delfino. He understands that you can find good veteran role players for cheap; thus, no reason to overpay.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

I go to his Alma Mater so of course! But seriously, he could play the 4 for us when we need it. But who would we trade for him?

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He was good coming out of New York

20. Asian Sensation

Too bad Marcus Morris didn't pan out. He's Wilson minus the neck tats and consistent offensive game.