1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets talk about Bodybuilding.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hoee Ass, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Adding more muscle to your frame than you would carry naturally rarely is but the gift of youth makes up for a lot of things.

2. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I have been in the OP's boat as well.

I used to be strictly a cardio man - and I was 6'1" and 155-165 pounds all throughout my 20s. Then I hit my 30s and decided I wanted to put on some muscle, so I started a serious weight training program about 2 years ago.

I'm now up to 180 - having added over 20 pounds of muscle in those 2 years - but I've reached a plateau. I can't get over the 180 lb. hurdle no matter what i try.

I did the NO Xplode, i did the creatine, i did the weightgainer shakes.

i just started adding whole milk to my 4 daily protein drinks (instead of using water) to see if the added protein/calories might slowly push me over this plateau.

but most of the messages here are absolutely correct from my own personal experience. I got the MOST gains when i started doing compound exercises back in Jan. 2008 - squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull ups...

however, i still do cardio b/c i want a lean 6'1", 190-195 lbs body type... i just need to figure out how to add that extra 10-15 pounds of muscle without adding to much fat.

3. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Squat, Squat, Squat.....oh and add deadlifts and bench..do compound exercises. Did I say Squat? I am 5'11 220# built like a running back (34" waist too) after years of heavy squatting. Eat right (carbs, protein, water...get your diet down), this means limit your fast food and sleep at least 7-9 hours. It takes dedication and determination but you will see results after awhile.

4. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have been looking to change my routine and have decided on strength training 3 days a week using 5x5.

Thanks for opening the thread.

5. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Why wouldn't it be healthy?

6. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

You may need to cut out the cardio and do a slow bulk while eating ultra healthy foods to achieve that goal. The other option would be to just try as hard as you can to add lean mass, then go through a cutting phase when you hit your muscle gain goal.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Not doing any cardio (ie: walking being the fastest you ever move) -- I'm no expert, but that can't be good for your heart.

8. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

I know, the only ugly spot on me is my belly, I'm told to run more, and using one of those electrical bells to share off some fat, does that bell really work?

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

There are a certain amount of cardiovascular and heart health benefits conferred through weight training. Obviously, while integrating aerobic exercise would add even more benefits, I wouldn't say that what he was doing "can't be good for the heart." More like, what he was doing is good for the heart, but could be better with a more balanced workout regimen.

Kind of nit-picky, but I just wanted to get that out there.

10. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You want to keep cardio to a bare minimum during any bulking phase. 20 minutes on the treadmill once a week is more than adequate.

Any discussion about working out should start and end with two words: squat. deadlift.

really. the rest of this discussion about designer supplements is irrelevant nonsense.

eat. squat. bench. deadlift. repeat.

you shouldn't even be thinking/asking about anything else until you have that basic formula down.

11. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

if you are lifting correctly you are getting more cardio exercise than 80% of people in the USA.

compared to other lifestyles its practically being a healthnut.

12. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Asian? or Vietnamese? ;)

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I don't get it?

14. Hoee Ass

Hoee Ass Member

NONE, I'M LAOTIAN ;) , you ever head of that race?! Usually people will say no. LOL

15. fmullegun

Isn't that what the girl on King of the Hill is? The one who plays violin.

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Connie.

17. BmwM3

I think she's Vietnamese. I heard her mom speak in Vietnamese a couple of times if I'm not mistaking.

Back on topic: Just eat a lot like everyone is saying, lift regularly, and please don't avoid Squats and deadlifts. And also please don't be the guys that only workout their upperbody.

18. fmullegun

nope I was right

19. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

What's Laotian? I've never heard of that.

20. BmwM3

I've could have sworn I heard them speak Vietnamese a couple of times.