1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Not Make Fun Of Ty Lawson's Drinking Problem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Jul 19, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I questioned Royce White's talent back then but Lawson has abundant NBA talent and has proven himself.

IMHO his issues are there, should be taken care of but I am not that worried.

2. omgTHEpotential

What's wrong with making a joke? (facepalm) Don't tell me you're one of those people who gets constantly offended by jokes just because they fall in some of the categories you or your surroundings think are taboo subjects...

I'll repeat, you can joke about everything. Laughter/humour can also be a way to convey criticism.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZNJyDyCocGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

It seems to me that there isn't enough information available to label Lawson with the Scarlet A. Alcoholic means different things to different people. If you go by addicted to alcohol, that means he'd more or less always be drinking.

Alcoholics that I've known do things like add vodka to their morning milk (or is it a splash of milk with the morning vodka?). They lament partying with friends at a bar because they can't wait to get home and drink straight from the bottle. They will always drink if they have access to alcohol.

I have a hard time believing that Lawson could put up the types of numbers he has if he's constantly drinking. If he has been able to, then that means he's got the talent of an all-time great.

To many of you, save your Scarlet Letters for yourself.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

I must be a hypocrite, but I was really really happy to find out we traded for Lawson by getting rid of all worst players. Why hypocrite? Because I always talked trash about Lawson ever since he disappointed me during lockout, signing with my favorite team in Europe and being totally unprofessional. Appearing on Reddit with his lame ass short videos after every good game, then disappearing every time he or Nuggets had a bad stretch. He's a horrible person, but I'm really glad about the potential as a team we have now.

If only we could have done this trade earlier, who knows, maybe some biggest FAs would have considered HOU.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll make fun of it and I plan to get very very rich because of it

I plan to open up a abr around TC and hire BBW waitresses.

Between the drunkard Lawson and the BBW loving Harden, I will get rich very quick. I might buy the Houston Rockets from Les #soon

6. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Does he have a drinking problem or just made a few dumb mistakes after leaving the bar/ club?

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I actually think Lawson plays better after a few drinks.

8. malakas

malakas Member

There are some people who are starting to make the opposite and it will happen more and more. Giving excuse and trying to say he has no problems
    When a person (any person) has multiple DUIs in the past and twice in 6 months that is NO coincidence. He has alcoholic issues.
    I would say the same if it was a friend of mine, or an nba player or whoever else.
    Especially if said person is a huge man tall and heavy and to get over the limit he must have consumed a lot of alcohol. It's not a half wine glass more like if it was a woman.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

This, great video too.

10. OpenLayup-Why3?

Is it confirmed though, that DUI was for alcohol, not drugs? It's Colorado you know.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

His problem is he's driving after consuming alcohol, it's a separate issue to alcoholism. Should he lose his license? given that it's his 3rd/4th time, probably 3 years minimum, but again a whole different issue.

12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

For those who think alcoholism is a joke. Why don't you try educating yourself first.

That being said, Ty is going to be great for us. He will have the drive back, and determination. A big difference now playing on a winning team. Ala Smoove last year.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

4 times? He had these two in 6 months and his last alcohol related incident was in college. Even with his alcohol issues, he still put up 15/9 last year. It hasn't really effected his game on the court.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That's what my first thought was as well. There was a reason the Rockets got him for next to nothing and it was due to his DUI issues. Even if he happens to somehow get out of doing any jail time (which is entirely possible given how athletes are treated these days), going forward, I don't trust his ability to stay out of trouble and he's no good to the Rox if he's unable to take to the court. This guy reminds me of Roy Tarpley in that you just know that there's another incident lurking just around the corner.

15. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Rudy T got the same star treatment back in 1994. He was definitely drinking and has been sober since the early 2000s.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My comment was directed more at the Cows for signing and then promoting that POS Greg Hardy. But I just don't get the feeling that this will be Lawson's last brush with the law since it hasn't really cost him anything yet. We have a huge problem with folks driving with multiple DUIs and about the only thing that appears to stop them is when they kill someone. However, my outlook may be considered skewed as I have lost a family member to someone driving under the influence.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So no 12 step and traveling jokes? I had like 30 of them...

1 person likes this.
  18. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I'm sorry about your family member and your feelings are very understandable. If Lawson really does have a problem, this won't be his last brush with the law. It's up to him to change his life. He's known as a great locker room guy and overall a nice person. If he doesn't get his act together, he could very well kill somebody. It can't be forced on him and will take a lifetime of work to stay sober. My personal opinion is that he is an alcoholic, because any healthy person wouldn't gamble on their 2nd, 3rd and 4th DUIs.

Not related to Hillboy's comments, but some others. There's just so much speculation about his drinking habits. Only those close to him know the reality. Some people don't believe that he could be an alcoholic and still play basketball at a high level. Vin Baker, Ron Artest, Jason Kidd, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury all hit the bottle very hard during their careers. You can even look at some all-time greats like Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle and see that this hypothesis is just flat out wrong. Guys can drink and still perform at elite levels.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Lawson could thrive here.

20. gogispade

gogispade Member

I think that plenty of clutchfans will get DUI after reading this thread.

ooops

cheers