1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's not forget 2005... this series is FAR from over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

If Aldridge goes to Dallas, he will start alongside Chandler and Dirk will come off the bench. And that's a scary thought. But no need to worry about that right now. Game 3

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Always the coolers......always sme trying to blow our high.

Rocket River

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Back in 1995, Kenny Smith said that once the Magic lost game 1 and saw Shaq's face, he knew it was over.

4. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

Dirk is washed up and Rondo sucks.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Good point, but he still has a lot of extra motivation for this series.

And Brewer IS pissed off. There was a quote from him on the local broadcast last night saying he was traded for a "bag of chips."

6. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Carlisle did all he could to adjust to the pick and roll going into game 2. He just doesn't have the players to stop it. That on top of Rondo quitting on the team (who Carlisle went into game 2 relying on to stop Harden), Parsons being potentially out or playing hurt, and Dirk/Chandler looking too slow to properly switch off the PnR, this series is over. Yeah, Dirk probably wont have such a bad night shooting again but I don't see us missing so many damn layups.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the mavs just dont have the firepower this time around

8. pippsux

pippsux Member

3-0 then ill say it's over... can't let the mavs see a hint of daylight. Winning this series will wipe off the stench of that collapse in 05.

9. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Not necessarily game 3 but we have to take one. If they even up the series all the pressure will shift back onto us.

10. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Forget Rondo, Dirk is the face of the franchise playing lost and hesitant out there. This series is over though, Harden is only going to play better. I'm thinking we split in Dallas and win game 5 back home. But, I also look at it this way. We need 16 wins to get the title. We now need 14.

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I gave the OP 5 stars on this thread. Thank you, OP.

Coming back from a 2-0 deficit has only happened 15 times in the NBA. 2 of those comebacks were done against the Rockets. Both were in the last 10 years. Both were in the 1st round. And one of them was Dallas. We are 1 of only 4 teams that has twice allowed a team to comeback from a 2-0 deficit. Other members of this club are Suns, Spurs & Knicks.

2 times Houston let someone come back from down 2-0:

#1: Dallas (vs. Houston) 2005 Western Conference First Round (I was at game 3. *gutpunch* #neverforget)
    #2: Utah (vs. Houston) 2007 Western Conference First Round

I said it prior to Game 1 and I'll keep saying it: The key to this Round 1 series is RESPECT YOUR OPPONENT! Especially after last year when we were all hotdoggin' and happy to get matched up with Portland, only to get sent home early. This league is too good, and these professional basketball players are too good to let your guard down. Anyone can beat anyone if you phone in a half-a**, unfocused effort. Don't take the guy in front of you lightly.

source

#91 cdrive, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  12. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Repped!!!

I completely agree.

SWEEP CITTTTTY

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dirk is obviously past his prime... the goal for them was to ease his deficiencies by surrounding him with younger/faster/slasher-types (Parsons, Ellis) that could draw defenders and let Dirk shoot more open shots.

If Dirk isn't scoring, he's a huge liability on the court as his negative defensive impact will be exposed again and again.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dallas looked pretty bad and are severely under-manned. And yet, it was a rather close game throughout, which is concerning. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but the Rockets will be crushed in the next round if they make it, playing like this. Harden and Jones, in particular, need to be better.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This was my first thought after the game was over. However, Harden definitely said the right thing, per Clutch:

"We did what we were supposed to do -- win, take care of home court advantage. Now the series really starts."

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Couldn't agree more. This team can't afford to hinge their confidence on an inferior opponent.

IF we make it to the second round, it gets 10x tougher.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

far from the truth. this is playoff basketball. the rockets are playing fine. dont get spoiled by not seeing pretty regular season numbers.

18. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

2005 has nothing to do with 2015. Entirely different teams. The Rockets are much better than the Mavericks, they are terribly outmanned. Rockets were a very good road team this year, I like our chances in Dallas.

As far as the officiating, last night was ridiculous, but the Rockets have always received worse officiating at home than on the road. The calls will go more our way in Dallas, just watch.

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

This is a totally different team than 05 and 07. Who were the role players those years? Having JET, JSmoove, and Brewer this time around is really helping. Their vets, they have been through it before and dont get rattled in tight games. I just feel like this team has something to prove this year. That's a great way to play.

We will need Harden to be on it in game 3. Road games are where your stars need to carry you. We need to get a early lead and keep the crowd out of it, that will be great. The defense has go to be there on the road.

20. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's the playoffs, you typically wont see a lot of blowout games, regardless of the matchups. Boston is playing Cleveland pretty close every game. NO was hanging with GS last game.

They got the stops when they needed to. Through 3 quarters they were off, they got it going at the right time and closed it out at the end. I suspect Harden will get his game going and then it will be a whole different animal for Dallas to have to deal with.