1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's not forget 2005... this series is FAR from over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by andyacecandy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He couldn't produce 4 wins.

And he didn't really that many playoff games as a rocket when you compare him to other franchise players.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Go flat out from the start, with Howard and Smith in Game 3 to set the tone.
    I am hopeful that Harden will have a good game 3.

Don't let up Houston Rockets! Victory will be yours!

3. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Watch people on here say T-mac was great in the play-offs because he had a game winner and great shooting games, while Harden is not because he doesn't hit a high % and does not average around 30ppg...

4. Asian Sensation

I know this is a Tmac thread and all but we can't win 4 without winning 3 first.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its a completely different situation from 2005, first of all we only had Tmac and a bunch of retiring vets like Jon Barry vs prime Dirk, Jet and Finley. Now it is reversed they have old dudes while we have in prime superstars.

Parsons is jacked up, Rondo is pouting, we're up 2-0. And Harden who historically takes some time to heat up in the playoffs hasnt had a great game yet. Nothingbis set in stone but it would take a historic collapse for the rox to blow the series. It. Is. Over.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

bottomline results are team oriented not individual oriented. By your metric Pau Gasol was a piece of trash because he couldnt win one playoff game prior to getting traded to Lakers despite the fact that he brought a pathetic team against prime Duncan Spurs. Conversely some random dude known more for his moustache than his game has 2 back to back rings.

Tmac lead a team missing Yao Ming with Rafer Alston and Juwan Howard to a top 4 record and then faced Jazz with Deron, Ak24 and Boozer or Dallas with Dirk, Jet and Finley. Sure he didnt win a playoff series, but considering the opponent and his team I dont think he should be blamed for it.

7. Asian Sensation

We thought it was over COMING home with a 2-0 lead. We thought it was over going up 2-0 against Utah.

Nothing is over until it's over.

8. krouchchocolate

I'll be glad if we can sweep them. However, if we can't Please just let us get a win on the road and win the 4th game in our house.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not over until it is over.

Optimist here.

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Dirk is not as good. Josh Smith, Brwer etc are too much for mavs.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'd like you to point out the specific individual playoff stats that determine he didn't show up when it counted, NOT wins-losses.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

The Dallas team was dangerous because they had guys who could explode, this time Dallas is old and they are imploding thanks to Rondo cancer and Pretty boy being injured. Totally different situation and totally different players as well.

13. brooksstephens

People are giving Rick Carlisle WAY too much credit. He's been BADLY out-coached by McHale for two straight games now.

The lob off the pick and roll was there for BOTH games. There is no adjustment coming, they're just garbage.

The Rockets switched EVERY Dirk screen and he couldn't do anything with it. The rest of the Mavs team has to be PERFECT on defense to try to cover up Dirk's pathetic defense.

The only way the Mavs have a chance is if Carlisle has the guts to bench Dirk instead of Rondo.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Don't think it'll be a sweep but this Mavs team is a mess. Rockets played a horribly sloppy game last night and were never in much danger, at least none that wasn't self inflicted.

If they play smart and keep their TO down in game 3, pull that win out, it could be a sweep, could....

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's not over. The Rockets still need to try to win a game in Dallas this weekend. Coming back home tied 2-2 would give the Mavs hope in this series(especially if they get Parsons back), so they need to be focused going into these next 2 games.

That being said, these are not the same Rockets as the 2005 and 2007 teams. T-Mac was a terrific player, but I don't think he had that intangible quality that the truly great ones possess where they find it in them to carry their teams to victory in crunch time. At least not during the playoffs. And Yao didn't really display that ability either until 2009 against Portland and LA(culminating in his Game 1 performance), but by then it was too late thanks to his foot injury.

And this Mavs group ain't even close to their 2005 counterparts or the 2007 Jazz. These Mavs are old, tired, banged up, and don't look hungry. Who do they have who'll lead them to victory? Ellis and Dirk could maybe win a game or two for them this series, but they simply don't have the firepower as those other teams who came back from 0-2 deficits.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First off- We have to wait and see what adjustments Carlisle makes defensively on Harden and the P&R coverage. Also what type of game is Dirk going to have offensively, and can Carlisle hide him defensively?

If Carlisle elects to allow Harden to go one on one, and stop allowing the bigs to do whatever they want in the lane, we could see Harden look like the regular season MVP Harden that was able to get whatever he wants whenever he wants. That would be the blow to the jugular that we all want to see in game 3 in my opinion.

If Carlisle still revolves his gameplan around taking Harden out of the game, and is able to defend the PRN better, they are still going to make each game a knuckle-ball dogfight. Gonna still need big performances out of Jet, Smith, Dwight, and Brewer. Ariza will also need to shoot the ball better than he did in game 2. (have to say though, Ariza's defense again though was spectacular).

We've been waiting for it all series but I think in game 3 we will get the "James Harden Game". I think he's going to see alot less double team defense, and will be able to put on an offensive display if he has it in him. Could be a defining game for the "Harden doesn't show up in the playoffs" narrative.

Looking forward to Friday night.

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Def not acting like this is over. Need to continue playing like this throughout the series. Cannot let them off the hook.

They are who we thought they were.

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

My response in bold letters

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

I posted this in another thread. I am glad you brought it up. That was painful and humiliating. I won't forget it, none of us should. Game three is critical. Need to bring the "A" game and drop them in the deep hole.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!