1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's go after Markieff Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FLASH21, Aug 6, 2015.

?

Would you trade for Markieff Morris

1. Yes

27.6%
  2. No

72.4%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Obviously this is all true.

And obviously Markieff has other issues of his own to deal with.

That said... we don't really know what kind of conversations went on when Markieff (and Marcus) re-upped. If they did so after having real conversations about taking the deals they were taking because of an expectation of continuing to play together in the future, then at a minimum it is indeed dumb of Suns management to not have communicated the Marcus trade better to them, and further does give Markieff room to act this way... where acting this way is just "business"...

He could certainly be more professional and quiet about it... but then again, we don't know what kind of communication has gone on behind closed doors. I suspect while Markieff himself hasn't been talking to management, his agent has been, asking for a trade, and probably has been told... "well, you know his deal is for 4 more years, yada, yada, why would we trade him"... hence the escalation.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Haha!

Called it. Get'r done Mowry!

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Please don't trade for Morris, smh.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

I like James Johnson the player and James Johnson the contract.

On offense, he gives you most of what you lose in TJones, minus the upside and potential shooting ability. He's a beast attacking the basket off the dribble and face up. On defense, he's a good post defender with quick feet and the ability to cover on the perimeter. We can guess that the Rockets liked him since he was playing for RGV before he signed with Memphis.

As for his contract, he's got 1 year left at $2.5 million. That gives you flexibility to either trade him at the deadline, waive his rights in the offseason, or you can bring him back using either early bird or the MLE.

The "more money" issue doesn't really matter unless you sign Montrezl Harrell to an amount more than the rookie minimum. Here's the thing though....they *MIGHT* be able to do this trade even if Harrell is signed for something more than the minimum. Here's how it would look:

86.18 - Current salary commitments (including Hayes and excluding Wood)
    - 2.49 - TJones Outgoing
    +4.01 - Johnson and Wright Incoming

87.67 - Total New Salary
    88.74 - Apron Hard Cap

1.07 - Max starting salary to Harrell we could offer and stay below the Hard Cap

We don't know what Wood's guarantee is, so I can't factor that into the analysis. Regardless, I don't believe it would make a significant difference.

The $1.07 starting for Harrell is $100k less than what Jordan Mickey (drafted immediately after Harrell at #33) got from Boston. HOWEVER, we could easily make that up to Harrell by fully guaranteeing his 3rd year (which Mickey did not get).....if you recall, we also did this for Nick Johnson last year.

The obvious problem with all of this is that the Rockets would have to send out MORE money than they receive in any future trades, but given the makeup of the roster, that shouldn't be too difficult. We've got a large "middle class" now with Beverley, Brewer and Ariza, plus expirings in DMo, Johnson, and potentially Lawson.

Love this roster:

Lawson / Beverley / Wright
    Harden / Thornton / McDaniels
    Ariza / Brewer / Dekker
    DMo / Johnson / Harrell
    Howard / Capela / Hayes

My only concern is that DMo is your only shooter in the front court, but given how much small ball we're probably going to play, that's not a big issue.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

WTF. Morris is a nobody, the salary he makes is reasonable but can't be compared to rookie salaries of Dekker/TJ and McDaniel's even more reasonable 3m PER, and he is a risk because he might be jailed because of assault. Why go through all those hoops when you have Motiejunas and TJ and Harrell and maybe even Dekker who can play PF.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i prefer the potential of a dominant twin towers lineup with dwight and dmo. if that doesnt work jones is much cheaper than morris

7. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

I think he is a better player than Terrance Jones and think Booker has the potential to be a great fit and player with the Rockets.

Does that answer it enough for you?

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No he's actually a starter on a competitive western conf team. Starting in the west on a team with around 40 wins isn't something to write off.

Markieff averaged 15 points, 6 boards, 2 assist, a steal this year, has range on his shot, shoots FT's well, and has been healthy his whole career while playing big minutes, on a competitive Suns team

Jazz/Suns players stat's aren't inflated IMO, they're competitive teams in the west.

Btw his assault was on an old coach who supposedly was sending his mom sexual and inappropriate text. Bball players aren't all role models, they're people and if somebody where to harass my mother I wouldn't blink to assault somebody, just like most other people, including the Morris twins wouldn't.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like DMo and he is 7 feet tall, but he does not play tall at all. Negligible blocks, not a good rebounder. I don't consider DMo and Dwight as twin towers.

10. oakdogg

Patrick Patterson is a wayyyyy better shooter than this guy. When he was here, all anybody could do was b*tch and moan about his rebounding. Markief is a worse rebounder, but nobody will acknowledge it. What's the deal??

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I wonder about that as well. If you recall, Dragic had a lot of bad stuff to say about the Phoenix front office leading up to his eventual trade to Miami. It seems they made promises to him regarding what position he would play and the construction of the roster that went unfulfilled. It's very possible Phoenix made promises to keep Markieff and Marcus together, whether on the Suns or in a trade.

That's one thing I like about Morey...he seems like he's pretty frank with players and he doesn't hide from the volume of trades he's completed. When the whole Melo/Lin number drama broke, Morey said something like "look...it was obvious we would have to trade Lin in order to sign Melo". Ruthless, but honest.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Morris is a average rebounder, he's slightly better then Patterson, and the same as Motiejunas (going off of TRB%).

Patterson also has a career 56% TS percentage, Markieff 54% (Dmo 54%) for comparison. Patterson shoots more 3's, Markieff more mid range shots.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One flaw in your post .... otherwise good information.

Since they are over the cap they can only sign Harrell to a rookie minimum deal and avoid the hard cap. This years rookie min is $525,093.

To exceed that amount they would have to use an exception and the only exception they have remaining is the non taxpayer MLE since what they signed KJ to was basically the full taxpayer version. Use of any part of that hard caps them at $4m above the tax line or 88.4m as your numbers suggest.

Basically it boils down to the following options with option 1 being the only scenario where the team is hard capped.

1) Using the remainder of that MLE and paying Harrell that max of 1.07m and being hard capped which allows them to ink him to a deal of up to 4 years.

2) Extending the rookie minimum qualifying offer of $525,093 which he either accepts as a two year deal which wouldn't cap the team.

3) Extending the rookie minimum qualifying offer of $525,093 which he rejects and plays overseas for a season (or more) with the Rockets retaining his NBA rights.

4) Trading his rights prior to inking a deal with him for a player who's salary fits within the Shved TPE.

The $525,093 figure is from Real GM's salary scale chart. http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/minimum_scale

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Wasn't a flaw .... I somehow confused myself ....

Still , $525,093 and 2 years for Harrell with no hard cap or $1.07m 4 years max length and hard capped.

15. oakdogg

So, what is this saying that's different from what I'm saying? What makes Markieff more attractive than Patrick Patterson, who everybody complained about?

I admit I don't know much about TRB%. Markieff gets 6 rebounds a game with good minutes. Last I checked, Patterson and DMo do better than that when they're all doing that per 36.

16. malakas

malakas Member

really? so the answer to harassing texts is no to report it to the police but have near 7fters pro athletes taking the law in their own hands and attacking as a gang a single person while making sure that noone comes and helps him? are you serious?
    They deserve jail for this, as every single regular person would if they did something like that.

17. oakdogg

I don't know.....if someone messes with your Mom????? I'm a little more sympathetic to the guy. That coach had it coming.