1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's get the prediction in before the playoffs: do you believe smallball will survive the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jul 31, 2020.

1. rocketseagles07

In the 4th he did, but I just don’t want to hear how good he was on defense because of one quarter when he was really bad the other 3.

He carried us, he actually tried in the 4th and obviously we don’t win without him. He has improved defensively, just don’t think last night is a good example

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

him being really bad the other 3 quarters just isn’t true

last night is a great example of his improved defensive play

it’s like we watched 2 completely different games...the only stretch he was “really bad” is for some parts of the 2nd half because he had 4 fouls and couldn’t afford to pick up another

if anyone on the team was really bad on defense for most of the game, but then made good defensive plays towards the end, it’s Russ

D-rock likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

We had some lapses, I still saw some hustle and communication. That goes for rebounding and boxing out as well.

I’ve been on record saying I don’t necessarily like small ball and think we need a big, but it is what it is. We can score with anyone and if we lock down on switches and keeping guys in front of you we’ll be alright

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I will always have faith in the rockets, but I don’t believe in the small ball strategy; mainly because there are so many guys out there with the length, athleticism, and shooting ability to match up with us. I still think it helps to have length and defense and those are the two areas I think will get exposed in 7-game playoff series.

I wouldn’t want to play Houston. We are dangerous to be sure and capable of beating anyone on any given night, but I don’t have a lot of confidence that we’re true contenders. I hope I’m wrong. Anything can happen. I’ll be rooting my ass off, but I’m not gonna make any bets in Vegas.

#64 Aruba77, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    roslolian likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't expect them to play 48 minutes of great defense night in and night out. The hope is that our offense will keep us close and we can clam down the defense in crunch time. Last night's game is a perfect example. But there will be games when our shots don't fall and we get into a hole too deep to climb back out.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Most definitely. I’ve been pushing for Small Ball while using SF’s (predominantly) in a 5-men out system for years.

Unfortunately the league has also caught on and there are several teams now that can throw 5 men lineups using
    mostly SF’s to counter the Rockets......but I feel most lack the two MVP caliber facilitators surrounded by good
    enough shooters surrounding them.

So yeah, Rockets all the way!! GO Rockets!!

D-rock likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Smallball works, I mean isnt that what the Hamptons 5 was? They had Green or Iggy at center anyway.

The problem is the Rox went small ball 100% of the time, I dont think thats a viable strat cuz it wears out the guys. You can count on Roco and Tucker to take punishment for like 1-2 quarters but not for 4 quarters and 82 games. It takes so much effort to get guys out of the paint they just get beaten mentally after some time. We sort of saw it cuz the team ran out of gas 1 month after the ASB the Rox were imploding and went on a huge losing streak.

However they are supremely lucky Corona happened and everybody got much needed rest. I think they have a good chance to be a dark horse and win it all.

Next season though I think SB has been passed by and became redundant thanks to TallBall. Teams ahead of the curve have been getting centers like Brook Lopez, Bolbol and Porzingis who are both tall and can hit 3s. They get the best of both worlds, no wonder Mavs had the league's best offense. Rox should try and get Aaron Baynes or Christian Wood do they dont get passed by.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol all these confident assertions following the first competitive game after a four-month lay-off. Let’s give it one more game.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Depends if we can hit our 3's! We live and die by the 3.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

No chance in $&@“ that we survive the playoffs. Fun to watch at times....who doesn’t like no defense and run and gun philosophy, but relying on guys like Tuck, RC, and Mac to hit 40-50% of their threes under playoff duress is just ludicrous. This style wears down the shorter players after several games of having to play twice as hard as their opponents to make up for the size inequality. We very well may not make it out of the first round.

ashleyem likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My prediction is that they will be fun to watch, maybe even scare a team. But in the end, i'm out. They are just not cohesive enough on the defensive end and although with time, they would normally have the possibility to rectify this, time isn't something they have enough of to pull it off.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fixed it for you brudah!

fattz likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Or even a few months earlier THIS season.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

This take coming from a Faried fan is hilarious.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

False narrative.

Luka was 1-9 from 3. Someone was playing tough D on him. :rolleyes:

Os Trigonum likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I dont do anything without confidence. LOL

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

Thank you, maybe this actually worked so we / I noticed it.

D-rock likes this.