1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let the triggering begin: Breitbart among Top 10 Publishers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BruceAndre, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

https://www.politifact.com/personalities/breitbart/statements/?list=speaker

quikkag likes this.
  2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A ranking of news sources based on likes and shares says nothing about them as a source of legitimate journalism.

quikkag likes this.
  3. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

For better or worse, that's where people are getting their news these days. There's nothing inherently wrong with using FB to source various news outlets. It's the sources that you tap into or read, on FB, that is the question or issue.....

BTW that video is giving me vertigo …..

4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Hmmmmm, I think this is debatable, at the very least. And I'm not sure there is a whole lot of "legitimate journalism" going on these days.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's absolutely for the worse.

Many people's level of nuance on politics/government are at meme level such as the President's understanding, Thank social media for that.

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Breitbart
    Says the California flag was supposed to be a pear, not a bear.

— PunditFact on Thursday, June 18th, 2015

Yes, this is right up there with peace in North Korea in importance.

And, this is where a lot of people get the idea that Trump "is lying all the time." They trip him up on small inconsistencies and then say "OMG....the lies!" The flag is a pear or a bear......who cares?

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

You literally just did the same thing by picking the most innocuous lie on that page.

quikkag, mdrowe00 and jo mama like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Editor Admits Breitbart Publishes Fake News
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/breitbart-fake-news-alex-marlow/

And this fake news checker:

Breitbart uses sensational emotionally loaded language in their headlines such as “Obama Loses 2 Million+ Followers During Twitter Fake Account Purge.” They utilize sources such as tabloid entertainment magazine Variety, and credible sources such as Bloomberg. as well as factually mixed sources such as the Daily Mail. Under the Big Hollywood section they publish tabloid stories such as “Fashion Notes: Melania Trump is Posh and Proper for Final Day in England” utilizing fashion sources such as farfetch.com

In general, the majority of published stories favor the right and are highly pro-Trump in tone and story selection.

A factual search reveals numerous failed fact checks by IFCN Fact Checkers. Here are just a few of many as an example:

Overall, we rate Breitbart Questionable based on extreme right wing bias and publication of numerous false claims. (M. Huitsing 7/14/2018)
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/breitbart/

quikkag likes this.
  9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

threadstarter is the only one who seems triggered here.:D

not surprising coming from someone who says that fox news is "leftist", breitbart is the only reliable source of news and people who actually pay attention to the news have no lives or full-time jobs. he has also repeatedly used the word "slavish" to describe people who follow the news and current events.

he also seems to hold breitbart to a lower standard of accuracy than all other media. one incorrect story from a news outlet means everything else they say is fake, but breitbart can push lie after lie...fake story after fake story...and he claims that they are the only one who is not biased.

but in the past you have said breitbart is the only reliable source of news. i dont think you understand the difference b/t news vs opinion.

every single other media outlet you criticize and dismiss has a better track record than breitbart, yet you want to claim that they are all biased liars and breitbart is not.

#29 jo mama, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    quikkag likes this.
  10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

How do you feel about Infowars as a news source?

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

AP News just simply reports the news, no bias or opinion in it.

So, if that graph is opinion based, then everything is. You have no right to call out anyone for their news sources. If someone says they only read Huffington Post and watch MSNBC for their news then it may as well be just as credible as Breitbart. Which has been caught, as others pointed out, as fabricating and lying.

12. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Popularity does not equal accuracy, or factual. Just because several people like to use this source to reinforce their own echo chamber, it doesn't make it right.

Of course the above might be difficult to distinguish for a Trump supporter.

13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well, isn't it appropriate, then?

14. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This place (D&D) is an echo chamber. "Not that there's anything wrong that"

Side note: I didn't vote for Trump. But it's beautiful to watch him trigger certain people.

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

16. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

It is science, not opinion. If you would read the text accompanying the chart you would learn that the product isn't some cute graphics some dude cutely composed, but a thorough and time-intensive examination of the articles from the listed news sources, fact-checked. Dude gathered the data, assessed the validity on a sentence-by-sentence basis, and tabulated the results. This is empirical science. Not opinion.

Wrong. There are observable facts. There is corroborated testimony. There is measureable phenomena. There are direct quotes of the statements of officials, scholars, etc.--people informed or responsible for execution or oversight.

Again, "credible" per the chart we are discussing has been assessed from exhaustive fact checking of multitudinous articles. You act as though anything less than 100% accuracy equals 100% unreliability. The chart isn't a straight line. It clearly indicates a spectrum. Your Jason Blair is ONE incident of error from, as you say, a decade ago. You're pinning your argument on that?

And again, you assert your opinion carries any kind of weight against an exhaustive clinical measure of source accuracy. Ludicrous.

When one person posts unsubstantiated opinion as if it carries weight against fact, and in response, any number of people respond with fact-based correction, that is not an echo chamber. That is a number of informed people calling out error.

17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Haha please provide empirical evidence of any time that I have been "triggered" in here. I'd like to think that I keep things pretty civil, I am genuinely interested in trying to understand the other side better.

But I do understand that saying "triggered" and "snowflake" is a popular defense mechanism. I'm not offended in the least.

18. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I never said that you were triggered by anything. And as far as I can recall, you have been pretty civil.

Rather, I let those who are triggered out themselves by saying something like "OMG Breitbart....I can't even....WOW just WOW." :D

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Triggering? smh I feel sorry for OP. I'm a conservative for the record.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Pretty much eveyone's reaction was "It's a facebook ranking".