1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let the Drone Wars Begin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/22/iran-reverse-engineer-spy-dron

They have made premature claims about technology, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true either, especially since:

On the other hand, exaggerating this event may be a way to increase pressure on them.

I think this development is perhaps most terrifying to their own citizens.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They might be able to find out the basic chemical elements of the coatings but no way can they recreate them or their application. Knowing the elements is a far freaking cry from making the material. If they were smart they would have sold it to the chinese after the publicity pictures (they might have)

I'd be more worried about the helo that went down in Pakistan.

3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're right, I don't think it's an easy task but I wouldn't rule it out.

Also, I think tactically the most beneficial plan for the leadership is to study the hell out of it, THEN send it to China or Russia under condition that if China is able to build one then the secrets would be shared between the two parties. Seems like win-win, if win = improving your ranking in arms proliferation.

At the same time, whether this article or true or not, someone will unfortunately make the breakthrough inevitably.

4. Bandwagoner

I would rule it out. The USA has been working on these coatings since the 60's and that 50 years of development and testing with the best RADAR in the world cannot be copied in a year or 10 with subpar engineers.

There isn't really a breakthrough to make. The coatings aren't 0% one day then 100% the next. I could hand you all the raw materials and instructions for the latest automotive coatings that Ferrari uses, I doubt you could produce anything useful with it.

I think the helo was a bigger loss considering it was manned, ELITE and thus likely had the latest and greatest. This little drone didn't need anything special.

Seriously though, the AMRAAM we lost in Libya is a bigger deal than the toy drone.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Even if they could replicate it, which that can't since it probably is like trying to replicate a spacecraft from Galactica 9 to them, but even if they could, who cares? Like someone above said, we have made thousands and thousands of these, and if this really was designed for just recon, then what's the big deal? They might send it to China to replicate the coating, but China probably has something similar already anyway. They can then send it back to Iran, but I'm sure before we put it into action, we came up with a way to defeat it. That's just how our military works.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We just need to nuke them and the tech is back to us only.

;)

DD

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

They will reprogram it to find and terminate Sarah Connor. The drone will be back!

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

"Todd Humphreys’ tale about hacking a civilian drone in front of the Department of Homeland Security has gone viral since he conducted the experiment last month. Now the assistant professor at the University of Texas explains his work to RT."

http://rt.com/usa/news/texas-professor-drone-hacking-249/

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I thought this was a post about Star Wars.

Damn.

10. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Do you post anything other than "Nuke x country, total warfare, blah blah blah, I make video games and couldn't pick up a gun for the life of me but I continue to pretend to play General" or "U.S. should invade and annex mexico, why not, I love mexican food derp" or "You're right ATW, I <3you my D&D BFF!"

Oh and I also will post a " ;) " to ensure I don't have to respond to any questions or criticism.

3 people like this.
  11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Qball- just add him to your ignore list. It will make your overall clutchfans experience much better.

12. DaDakota

No, sometimes I find it more fun to be over the top ludicrous - just for ****s and giggles.

That is why I post with the winky guy......

DD

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yikes! Sadly, that pretty much describes him!

14. Apps

Apps Member

Blah blah blah blah blah. Believe me, Iran talks big game but they don't have the military technology to back it up. Israel's only realistic worry with Iran is Iran's proximity, but other than that, no American-allied nation has to worry about what Iran is "capable" of (save for maybe Saudi Arabia, but even that's a long shot). It's hilarious how so many people actually believe that Iran is the super-villain of the century.

As for the Iranian perspective, they should stick to nanotechnology and medical technologies (which they are supposedly doing well in) and actually try to help their citizens by further industrializing and modernizing the country, instead of wasting millions of dollars on outdated military tech from Russia, funding countries like Syria, Venezuela, NK and proxies like Hezbollah, and making useless crap like "fighter boats". Given the resources that Iran has, they could realistically be one of the premiere technological powers in the whole world. Too bad their government is hell-bent on vying for political and religious hegemony in one of the most unstable regions on Earth. Talk about a long-term plan. :rolleyes:

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I have a working remote controlled airplane, so I'm probably way ahead in drone development then Iran.

No matter how much you want to believe it, Iran will not overthrow the US government or topple Israel now that they have "the drone".

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Of course not, which is why they want a nuke. It's much easier for them to wield influence.

17. Bandwagoner

Iran has no need for a drone.

Mathloom is trying to spin it to suggest now that the USA handed Iran a super evil drone they will build thousands of them and spy on their own people.

It is just the most twisted thing I have ever heard. Totally misguided and factually asinine.

1 person likes this.
  18. HPD

HPD Member

hahahah spit out my vodka and sprite son

19. DaDakota

Not really, as a hunter, I am pretty good with a gun.

DD

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

So why does Iran have no need for a drone? Don't you believe that they're trying to attack Israel? That they would use it on their own people?

If you can't see that this can go wrong for Iranians, how much their leaders are willing to do to stay in power, then you have not been following.

The whole idea is arms proliferation is bad. Mostly for Iranians, whether the arms are used on Iranians or on others. Both will result in more atrocities against Iranians.