1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

less is more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Jan 10, 2011.

1. denniscd

denniscd Contributing Member

a well timed injury or two really helped narrow our rotation tonight and get our best players more time. we can score with anyone, we made the celtics d look like our d at times tonight. martin must play d or sit, same with miller, same goes for all of them

2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I think you are absolutely right. We have found what really works for us and won with it. The problem is sometimes too much depth is just not a good thing. Players complain about roles, not sure whether they are gonna play the next night or not, worry about minutes, want to start and want big contracts, or whatever.

I think it also says something about having useless offensive players in this system. Under van Gundy it was perfectly fine. But in this Adelman system players like Chuck Hayes are absolutely useless. We really won the game in the fourth quarter, and thats how we should be winning all our games, with offense, not defense.

Adelman went with 1 big plus 4 small, and we can't have a non-shooting small nor a 6'6 big.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

The insider has spoken!
    Luis's days as a Rocket are numbered! :eek:

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

threads are up everywhere when the rockets win

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

As excited as I am about this win, remember one key piece that was missing from the Celts lineup...Kevin Garnett. He maybe a little B#$#$tch but he is the key to their defense.

Saying that, I was as excited as i've been all season with that 4th quarter lineup of AB, Bud, CLee, PPat and JHill...well minus Bud getting his ass beat by Daniels but the answer to that issue was sitting on the bench.

6. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

Couldn't agree less. Chuck Hayes is very familiar with a high post offense. At Kentucky, Tubby Smith ran a large portion of the offense through Chuck at the elbow.

HayesFan, where you at?

7. DJ

DJ Member

Don't overlook the value of Chuck Hayes. Chuck is our best defensive big and in the games before this we struggled with the opposing centers going off on us. Chuck is not just some regular 6'6 guy that you make it seem to be. Remember the games against the Clippers and Knicks on the Road? There is a reason why Amare struggled in the 4th against us and Blake Griffin barely scored over the "6'6 big."

O boy my 1,000th post! Who would have thought it would have taken 11 years!

8. aicedo

aicedo Member

A shorter rotation is good come playoff time but I think its the gms job to have the most possible on the squad. Would you rather have Jeffries, Williams, Patterson. and Ish Smith at the end of your bench or scrubs that are just passing out towels during timeouts.

9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Congrats!

I'd like to see more Chuck, Patterson, and Jeffries. A lot less Brad Miller. Our offense isn't the problem as much as it is just stopping the opposing team. We have Martin, Brooks, and Scola for that.

10. mbe1996

mbe1996 Member

What do you mean?

11. blunto

blunto Member

You can't count on the group that played tonight to consistently scorch it from the field like they did tonight. I'd hardly say they found the solution moving forward, or that we are better w/o Martin getting minutes.

12. Relentless

Relentless Member

But you do agree right?

You just can't agree less...??

Maybe more?

13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

8 players max!!!

14. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

How bout 'I couldn't disagree more.'

Lol Touche'

15. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

Wrong. Not how I saw the game at all. We played great defense all game. Players were contesting jumpshots, blitzing screens, and playing good weakside help. Aside from Chase getting abused by Daniels, Lee and Lowry did an excellent job stifling Ray Allen, leaving him no airspace at all. Jeffries stepped in and provided a nice spark to the team defense where Jordan struggled and when Battier took a breather. On offense, we still looked a bit discombobulated at certain spots of the game especially not running the sets until about 16 seconds left in the shot clock. It was our late game defense that kept us from losing the 4th quarter lead. The absence of Martin and Miller and the presence of Jeffries had a lot to do with this victory. Not saying that losing Martin or Miller for an extended period of time would result in more victories, but today the defense shined.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sort of like having two $2 bills instead of having 3 bills for $1 each, genius. And please tell Deke we need him back.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

With so many injuries, RA was forced out of his normal rotation. The guys who haven't been given too much PT showed how hungry they were to play, so they were focused and gave it their best shot.

With the kind of line-up we have, we really need creativity from RA to know how to mix and match the line-ups to maximize players' strengths and hide their weaknesses.

I hope RA is up to it and fall back in a rut. Play the guys who are effective in that night's match-ups.

18. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

Did you know that defense wins games ?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I thought it was balance.....weird.

DD

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Ridiculous post. The first unit has performed much better this year when Chuck has played. We have really struggled with Hill playing with the starters. Chuck is very good playing in the Adelman system.

Great win last night, but it was a game of unusually good shooting. Bud, Patterson, and Battier going a combined 14 of 17 from the field. Brooks throwing in bombs from long range. You can't depend on this type of offense every night.