1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander: Rockets will retire Yao Ming's number

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Even though he didn't win anything, I still think he deserves this. Back then Yao was pretty much the representative for the Rockets. He was a dominating center, and unlike lots of 7 footers his game wasn't one dimensional. He also did so much for the NBA internationally.

2. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Wow, great news. I still remember when Yao ming came over to the US; I was never really into sports but it was the hype around Yao in Houston that got me watching basketball. I remember the first laker game, the charles barkley ass kiss, every playoff series (**** dallas) and sadly I remember holding my breath everytime he fell :(. I have been a huge Rockets fan ever since he was drafted; he was the reason I started watching sports, so Yao will always hold a special place in my eyes. I think this honor is well deserved.

P.S. This is why I don't get too mad at LOF or HOF because one day they may become True Rockets Fans.

P.S.S. Don't let my join date fool you, I have been lurking Clutchfans since Yao was drafted, through steve franchise era, through the T-Mac era, through the aaron brooks era, through the lowry era and today. :p

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Hall of Fame, my crtieria will always be could you write the history of the nba without him in it. This is close. Not clear cut to me. We don't really know how much of a pioneer he was. I mean who is following in his footsteps? Nobody yet. He certainly was popular. But what about the NBA changed because of Yao. Nothing. I can't say that he had any impact. Anything worth writing about. He brought fans. He created fans. But to what extent that impact is reflected on the court will take decades to determine. I don't think he merits inclusion. Statisically he's pretty much irrelevant. He won no championships. Barely won a playoff series.

Nor did I think Petrovic deserved inclusion. I do realize basketball has sort of a lesser or different standard than say MLB. So it's up for grabs. But Yao doesn't merit inclusion in my opinon. Unless there is an asian explosion on the horizon.

As far as retiring his number. I think I'm good with that because he was a Houston icon for a decent period of time. Was he on the level of the others, not really, but he's a bit of legend in Houston and brought a lot of people happiness on and off the court. Could you write the History of Houston basketball without him? I think not. He's a part of our history.

But what he did to Charles Barkely alone should get him into the HOF.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

...but only played 3.5 seasons for the Rockets and continues to poison the organization to this day with his below-average intelligence and poor use of the english language.

Yao played 8 seasons, was the focal point of the offense, put the city on the map internationally and became a sports icon.

1 person likes this.
  8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

He deserves one of these :p

[​IMG]

9. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Obviously Yao's off-court resume plays a big part in this, but Yao is number 6 on the Rockets scoring list, only behind Olajuwon, Murphy, Rudy T, Hayes (who should have had his number retired), and Moses.

He was a dominant player for many years, and though injuries stopped him, he was a Rocket for his entire career.

He is totally worthy of getting his jersey retired. Good decision by Les.

11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Brought more fans to the Rockets/NBA than the entire population of USA.

well deserved

12. Summer Song Giver

And on that note, Mr. Alexander locks up the Chinese pocket books for years to come.

I liked Yao, hell I like Lin (I wish I got to watch him ever) but Leslie is on a big time paper chase and winning titles is a distant second at this point.

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Ehh not sure if he should be retireable but if clydes got his jersey up there so should yao imo

14. coweye

coweye Member

He deserves it. How he was able to reconcile his NBA career and the Nationalteam mentally was impressive even the games he played for China cost him his health and us a great Center. He always fought to get back.
    And before any discussion starts whether he deserves it or not in comparison to Hakeem and his production for the Rockets we should be aware. Hakeem was unique maybe the best Center ever played this game. But that doesn't mean that the Rockets can't retire a number of a Center anymore or even the NBA induct a Center into the HOF.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Retire hayes'

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Whether you think he as a player deserves it is beside the point.

He made a huge impact in a significant way on the Rockets as a franchise, so retiring his jersey is appropriate. It's no different than Carroll Dawson having a "jersey" retired in the rafters, CD made a significant impact on the franchise and therefore has a presence in the rafters.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Much deserved. We had a Rockets player lead the athletes at an Olympics for gods sake. Props to the big fella.

18. choujie

choujie Member

Again, for those "Yao's on court performance isn't good enough" club members, please check facts before making statements.

Yao as a Rocket in Rockets history:

#10 in games played.(Must be a big surprise to you)
    # 5 in win share.
    # 6 in total point.
    #6 in total rebounds.
    #2 in total blocks.
    #4 in FG%.
    #8 in FT%.
    #2 in all-star selection.
    #2 in all-nba team selection.

Top 5 Rocket to say at least. How is that not jersey-retirement worthy?

1 person likes this.
  19. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Yao Ming was unstoppable.

Players couldn't foul Yao like they could with Dwight or Shaq. Yao could actually make free throws.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

They should retire it, but as others have pointed out, as a player he didn't do much to deserve it.

Oh well..awesome!