1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander: Rockets will retire Yao Ming's number

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 13, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's the number after 10 and before 12.

he's getting his number retired because they feel he's an all time Rocket.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Thread hijacked and ruin.

Sorry Yao, it got linmac on us.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yao taking it all the way to 11!

DD

4. queazie

queazie Member

At least Yao only played for the Rockets his entire NBA career. That's something... I guess haha

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No, you can't write NBA history without mentioning him.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Linmac is kinda right on this one. The #1 is being assigned out easy and often like its a practice jersey #. While #11 has seemingly been off limits since Yao's exit. Lack of protection on #1 would show there isnt much consideration to put it into retirement

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

(But yeah, there always is hijack potential)

I dont think Yao's # should be retired. But he's as good an example of a sportsman that you can find who you'd want to honor

8. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I concur. He was a pretty elite player when he was here. When he was healthy, I don't remember him ever not getting better. Whether you agreed with VanGundy's decision or not, putting him primarily in the post would have eventually made him a great player, if he could have stayed healthy. Cheers, big fella, you were always a quality guy when you were here.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

So Yao brought all future china players to the Rocket exclusively!

Next time an Indian player play for the Rocket, we should retire his jersey too

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is Amare Stoudamire a Hall of Famer? He averaged over 25ppg 9 rbs and 2 blocked shots a game in 2007 and shot 59%. He also averaged 29.9ppg, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks over 15 games in the 2002 playoffs.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to mention his number. :confused:

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

You know, I'm pretty sure I had a follow-up to that statement... but, I guess, if you don't omit it in your reply... you haven't much to argue against...

13. Hardensway

Hardensway Member

Way the go yao. Interesting point that no one took that number 11 jersey, but that #1 being passed to the likes of Canaan. Lol. Is t mac even going to be an hof? I mean he was 2 time scoring champ.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I left your additional statements out because they were irrelevant. I could make all the same types of statements about Amare that you made about Yao. Great ability, injuries derailed his career, had a lot of media scrutiny playing in New York, Amare was the rookie of the year not Yao, multiple time all-star, much more playoff success than Yao, a higher career scoring average.

So is Amare a Hall of Famer?

15. pippsux

pippsux Member

Congrats to Yao

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

No... I'm seriously saying Tracy McGrady. Who was 'injured' and sitting there reading Vogue, compared to Yao fighting to stay on the court.

Nothing but love for Chuck Hayes.

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Tracy only played half of the streak. And he played pretty poorly for some of it too.

18. williamjyl

williamjyl Member

Well deserved!

19. Raven

Raven Member

On a side note, remember everyone predicting a flood of Chinese players entering the league? Never happened. I think this solidifies the enormous accomplishments of Yao. He didn't play many years. He didn't win any rings. He never put up jaw dropping stats, but intelligent fans of the game will look beyond that and acknowledge the incredible hurdle he had to overcome. Yeah, he deserves to have his number retired, and he deserves to be in the hall of fame.

20. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Nothing right about it. T-Mac's number belongs up in the rafters as much as Scottie Pippen's does.