1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander: Rockets plan 'to bring in a terrific free agent', will 'be a lot better' next seas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 5, 2014.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I think Toronto keeps him or tries to keep him.

2. Nook

Nook Member

He is talking about moving Lin and Asik for capspace so the Rockets can add a key player......

3. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets can move Lin and Asik easily if they include a young player, and/or draft considerations. Honestly, I don't think they would have a hard time getting a taker on Asik without giving up any assets. Asik has one year left on his deal and is a starting caliber center.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Everyone keep in mind that Les Alexander is prone to hyperbole.

"Terrific" in his mind may mean "good enough to play 20 minutes+ on this team."

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

A few teams may be desperate for short term, immediate improvement. Lin & Asik's 1 year deals gives that. Cavs, Bobcats, Pistons come to mind.

Perhaps even Toronto given their situation. They've got so many players off contract. The unexpected success may not fit into their new GM's longterm vision. None of those players are his guys.

In June some of those teams will be 10M+ under the cap.

The question is will Morey bite the bullet and settle for a heavily protected second round pick for those two?, ie trade for the cap room only. Or even throw in Jones as a sweetener?

6. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

If the Rockets were to make Parsons a restricted free agent this summer by declining his contract and then matched whatever offer he was given (say 8-10 mil), would they be able to immediately turn around and trade him or would they have to wait a certain amount of time?

If they could trade him immediately after, this would give the Rockets even more salary to send out in a trade in order to match salaries. This would let the Rockets trade just two of Lin, Parsons, or Asik for 8.3mil + Parsons 8-10mil + 125% out in order to match a big contract such as Melo's or Love's. The Knicks might prefer this over having to take on Asik since he would be redundant with Tyson Chandler.

I don't know if it is even possible to match Parsons and then immediately trade him and even if it is, it could be seen as a sort of mistreatment by the organization. Can you imagine Parsons signing a contract with a contender, to be matched by the Rockets, just to end up with the Knicks? That would suck for him.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to do this?

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He will call his bluff that's why Melo will need leverage, and he will need to be willing to walk away and take less money to go to either:

-the Rockets (if they have deals lined up to take on Lin/Asik)
    -Chicago (assuming they are amnestying Boozer, & have a trade lined up for Taj Gibson),
    -the Mavs(who could renounce Dirk, sign him for 10 to 12 mil & have roughly 20 mil in cap space).
    -Lakers (if he just wants to be on the Lakers for no real reason other than to be in LA)

and the dark-horse-

-Phoenix - who have max cap space to offer and a good young team

So Melo will have at least one more deal lined up for a team that he is ok going to as well, and he will tell Phil either S&T me to the Rockets, get expirings and picks from them or you can watch me walk away to X team with cap space for nothing.

My guess is Phil says walk for nothing, and its up to Melo to accept the 17 to 19 million they can get him after they trade Asik/Lin/Picks to Philly or another team that wants the picks & expirings, or choose another team that can maybe give him a few million dollars more a year.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so tired of this mediocre midget blowing sunshine out of his ass every year trying to sell his season ticket packages.

"we will be a lot better" is just BS when other owners are going all in "trying to get a ring"

maybe he likes keeping mchale around just so he can hear himself laugh.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Les loves trolling.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Here is who I would consider "terrific" free agents:

Dirk Nowitzski
    Greg Monroe
    Lance Stephenson
    Lebron James
    Chris Bosh
    Dwayne Wade
    Carmelo Anthony
    Tim Duncan
    Kyle Lowry

And to a lesser extent:

Luol Deng
    Paul Pierce
    Trevor Ariza
    Marcin Gortat

You dump Lin/pick/Dmo and pick up any of those guys + a replacement PG (Lets say Aaron Brooks) I think you take a significant step forward.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol trying to keep the season ticket holders happy. I'm pretty sure they aren't dumb enough to think that the lack of stars was this team's problem. If we want to recreate the lakers of last year then so be it.

12. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Goodbye sweet Lin

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Les probably said the same thing last year...how did that go? :p

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Bring both Ariza and Lowry back after 86ing Lin and Asik.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Les gets who he wants...we are getting Lebron...:)

16. Rockness

Rockness Member

Isn't it sad that we supposedly need another big free agent?? Bring back Lowry!!

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

By that same token...Les gets what he wants, and we wound up with Jeremy Lin.

No offense to Jeremy Lin, but....$8,300,000 in cap space; $15,000,000 out of Les' pocket.

Unless he can find a sucker...er, good-hearted less-than-opportunistic GM who believes in the return of Linsanity, at least at the turnstile.

18. houtown

houtown Member

I don't think Carmelo, or anyone of his talent level comes to the Rockets. With Phil Jackson at the helm and handling the situation well so far, i don't think Carmelo leaves a organization that is in NYC and run by Phil Jackson. I think if Phil is giving his autonomy to run the team, the Knicks are the most attractive situation if they could get two stars. No better place to play basketball and win than MSG when things are run well. Carmelo got it good in NYC with Phil, and i won't blame him if he stay's in New York. Not to mention the Knicks are actually going to have some structure with the triangle offense. None of this simplistic run and gun stuff.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And then he got Howard over the summer:rolleyes:

20. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thank you Les, you deserve a better coach