1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander post-playoff comments "If you want to win big, you have to take big risk"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, May 30, 2015.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is not shietty I give you that. He is not wealthy to be a big spender and he does not know much about basketball.

And he let go of good coaches. Hired some high profile ex player but rookie coach, and used Lin and Yao as cash cows.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

No it simply doesn't, people who keep saying this have no idea how the cap and $$$ works. Brainlessly going into the lux tax for mediocre players is just a stupid move, look at what Dallas had to do just to get Rondo. If they weren't maxxed out, they wouldn't have had to gut their entire bench to get Rondo just to make salaries match. If we had reached the lux tax, then we wouldn't have been able to sign Josh Smith and do the Brewer trade.

Miami went to championships and 4 finals without breaking the lux tax barrier. Brooklyn paid like 40M in lux tax and still haven't gone to the 2nd round. How does spending more money in lux tax equate to getting more wins?

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Going over the salary cap is not a good idea unless you know you have a team that can win a championship. Many teams have screwed themselves by going over the cap and not having a team that is a true contender.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morey did that for him. Morey is not perfect but he is very good at his job.

Les is a decent partner, average owner.

He is a blind hen that sometimes or rarely finds his corn.

He is not terrible but also not great or very good.

Great owner and a very good GM - plus good coach would equal at least 2 or 3 more championships

Spurs like - we could be better than them and they are a small market

5. brooksstephens

Anybody criticizing Les for the way he runs this team or saying things like "I'll believe it when I see it" is an absolute imbecile.

You idiots don't know what bad ownership actually looks like. There's plenty of examples to go around. Les basically has given Morey a blank check to do anything that makes us a contender, and that's the extent of his involvement in basketball operations.

You literally could not ask for a better owner than that.

1 person likes this.
  6. brooksstephens

Yeah this is a terrible post. Show me any source at all that shows Les interfering with Morey's basketball moves.

Les doesn't need to know a lot about basketball... that's why he pays Morey and gets out of his way.

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I agree. Give the man some props. We were a couple of steps away from be champs.

8. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

As a former bond trader, you won't listen to him.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

The only thing I've been frustrated with Les for was the time he was going to move the team to Louisville... Well threatened due to the whole arena fiasco. Louisville Rockets just doesn't work.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Well it looks like, he doesn't like Smith, Brewer and Terry as much the guys forming the nucleus.:)

I will be upset if he ends up trading Capela though.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Misdirection, he's pumping up his trade value. Take these comments as seriously as pre-draft comments by NFL General Managers.

12. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Wouldn't be a bad idea if it landed us a guy like Kyle Lowry..

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

What an extremely ignorant post. Guess how many teams spent more money on players than the Rockets this season? TWO.

Top three teams spending the most money on player salaries in 2014/2015

1st Portland Trailblazers spent $92,220,907
    2nd Brooklyn Nets spent $91,873,492

and coming in at 3rd is the Houston Rockets who spent $87,299,371 dollars on NBA players salary.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/?lid=header_morelinks

Only $74,052,585 actually counts against the cap for various reasons. If you are complaining because Daryl Morey always figures out how to keep the Rockets official salary under the Tax Threshold then you are an idiot.

2 people like this.
  14. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Couldn't agree more and laughed and laughed at that comment.

They said DM and the Rockets season was finished after the Chris Bosh failureand could not be overcome...and they said I'll believe it when I see it.

They said Josh Smith was a cancer and even McHale could not integrate him into the team...and said I'll believe it when I see it.

They said McHale could not coach us out of the first round against Carlise...and said I'll believe it when I see it.

They said Doc Rivers was the superior coach and that without two starters one of them our PG we didn't have a chance against the Clippers...and said I'll believe it when I see it.

They said McHale is clueless and then he sat Harden for an entire 4th quarter in a historic comeback against the Clippers...and said I'll believe it when I see it.

The idiot haters have suffered mightily this joyous season for Rockets fans and for the most part are on the run with their tail between their legs.

Too bad their hate prevents them from ever believing what they and the rest of us see.

8 people like this.
  15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I wish I could rep this post multiple times.

2 people like this.
  16. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

shame on you.

Les Alexander, best sports owner in Houston history. There is no debate.

Les the community knows how committed you are.

And it shows in the team and management.

Go Rockets !

17. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Thank goodness there are so many rational, knowledgeable fans on Clutchfans. Otherwise, it would jsut be another ESPN black hole.

It's why I keep coming back since the first rendition.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

:grin: Had me rolling....

19. GottaHaveHeart

Les does not like to lose. We could of tanked all those years but he wanted to keep a competitive team for the fans and because he is unconventional and Morey obliged. He is the best owner HOUSTON has had and has never shied away from bringing name players to HOUSTON.

We finally have some pieces in place.

I believe Les!

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

For real!