1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander post-playoff comments "If you want to win big, you have to take big risk"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, May 30, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The idea that les won't pay the luxury tax is laughable. What do you think was going to happen after the signed bosh last year?

2. PJ86

PJ86 Member

He will only pay for a third star and you know Morey will go hard after one.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Center#Sponsorship

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will believe it when I SEE it. Les has known to exaggerate and never follows through.

DD

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

6. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

I'm just glad we have an owner that thinks about winning and not griping about needing to pay a few million in luxury taxes.

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Notice he said D-Mo is coming back next year, but mentioned nothing about Bev..hmm

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bev is a free agent and due for a raise. Dmo still under contract.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Leslie makes so much more sense than the crybabies who always want to see negatively.

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

He also said TJones is in that nucleus of core players. I can't imagine the rockets keeping Jones and certainly not both Dmo and Jones as they're RFA's next summer. Hope he's just spouting off names and just forgetting some at that same time.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Guys who hate on les are idiots. There are a lot of ****ty owners in sports. Les isn't one of them

12. Mr. Clutch

He's running circles around Cuban right now.

Cuban= Jerry Jones II

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Les isn't a sh-tty owner as much as he is a misguided one. Once they won that 2nd title after trading for Clyde, he's had it ingrained in his head that that's the formula for building a contender. He's never been willing to do it through lotto picks which is why the Rockets try to eek out every last win during his tenure and don't go for more ping pong balls(even the year they got Yao, they only had the 5th worst record and got lucky).

His philosophy is sign or trade for big name players and that's been the Rockets' formula for the last 2 decades. Barkley, Pippen, Francis, Griffin, T-Mac, Artest, Harden, Howard. Some of those worked out. Some didn't. Others blew up in their faces. But overall, I'd argue it has not been the best approach as we're sitting here with a franchise that has WCF appearances in 1997 and 2015 bookending 16 years of futility in between(aside from 2009).

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Every team has an up cycle and a down cycle. The Mavs or on the down cycle. Les has gone above the luxury tax once for 700k. The year the Mavs won the ship cuban paid 19mil. I just want my owner to spend money. It doesn't guarantee success, but its easier to win with a high payroll team.

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The only part of his statement that bothered me is the Terrance Jones part. Why bring him up in the context of the nucleus? We all know he is gone, if we are willing to take a big risk we will need to send him out anyways. This is one of those situations where I think Morey does a better job at being the front for the team than Les does.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So as a team this year we went to the conference finals and still have the flexibility to sign a max player. What situations have we had in the past where we needed to spend, didn't spend, and lost a player because of it? I'm legitimately asking here.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Morey saying he's bringing back this group with a tweek or two. Alexander saying he's all in and going to take a risk. Good cop, bad cop? I mean what is it?

18. Mr. Clutch

No one is paying luxury tax these days. Constrains the cap too much.

Cuban won mainly because he inherited Dirk and luckily that was enough despite the moronic move of not wanting to pay Steve Nash.

19. PJ86

PJ86 Member

Exactly, the myth that Leslie is this big spender is just not true.

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

What so shelling out 43M is supposed to be the work of a cheap owner now? :rolleyes:

Alexander does stuff cheap owners don't do, he may not be Cuban but he's far from the worst owner in sports. In fact in terms of spending I like that he puts money on getting picks and big name coaches rather than the tax, paying the tax just helps other teams I'd rather have a guy like Alexander who buys 3 2nd round picks for 9M than Cuban who lets Nash walk and then pay 20M to Eric Dampier in a high risk gamble.