1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander: It's time to say goodbye

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Jones, Jan 11, 2012.

?

Alexander bye bye ?

1. 100% YES and take Morey with you.

21 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Yes! It's time for a fresh breeze

37 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. No, he's been a great owner!

105 vote(s)
    43.6%
  4. No, he's not the problem (roster, coach, gm is /are)

41 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Meh...he's okay

37 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. ACL1

ACL1 Member

lat i checked this is a privately owned team, and he is the owner, he can do whatever he wants to the team .
    otherwise, he has been a grerat owner, may I remid you people Burd Adams?

2. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

step downb and give his company to the Salvation Army?

3. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Exactly. (especially appreciate the BA mention...that buttwipe)

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

People don't agree with your completely idiotic statements, so please close thread?

This is a forum, not a group of people who willfully agree with every word you write.

BTW I wanted to comment on all the stupid things you said, but it would take me too long, so I'll just comment on these:

1) Drafting a superstar keeps his loyal (as opposed to trading or signing in FA):

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Lets just think back no further than the last 2 years: CP3, Deron, Lebron, Bosh, Melo all left their teams. Dwight has been wanting out for almost 2 years now. Superstars want whatever they want. Whether that be go play with friends, go to NYC, go to LA, or whatever. Drafting doesn't make them loyal.

2) You should keep role players over superstars.

I'm sorry are you r****ded? Role players are found EVERYWHERE for cheap. Morey turned a completely terrible group of players into our role player heavy team. If you have superstars you can sign role players without any trouble (see Heat, see Battier AND see Clippers, see Chauncey).

If the Rockets had to give their entire team away today for Lebron I'd make the trade. You can fill up players around Lebron and a superstar makes you a magnet as well as competitive almost singlehandly.

3) All your example trades.

Les went out and got 3 Top 50 ALL TIME players (Barkley, Pippen, and Drexler). In hindsight only Drexler worked (aka got us a title). That said had Dream not got hurt, Drex, Dream, Barkley could've won a title and had Pippen not turned into Quitten, that team was poised to win a title too.

Then you go on and bash Tmac trade. Francis and Mobley for a guy who has quite possibly the most talent in the league at the time. Had we given Tmac/Yao the role players that are there today, that team would've won a title. Hell they might have won a title had Tmac not quit on the season that Artest was brought in. Or in 2005 when the Refs screwed us out of the series vs the Mavs.

Teams don't win titles without superstars (Detroit being the only exception I can think of).

1 person likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Whats the average age on the Rockets roster???... If thats not rebuilding I dont know what is.

Ok, maybe it has been 14 months and not 12 months since Yao was the cornerstone... I do remember last year was the year that the Rockets went after Bosh to complement Yao so they could be contenders.

Whether Yao was healthy or not, they were still giving it one more chance with Yao and giving him a large chunk of the payroll. Either way, Morey has not been able to completely blow up the roster and rebuild until now, and leveraged roster flexibility to rebuild on the fly if Yao went down again. Hence where we are today.

Luis/Martin/Dalembert are the only three players who are not considered young prospects. You can question the signing of Dalembert if you want, but I would argue that his contract will actually be a low risk asset for Morey to use in trades, and Dalembert can make other players better by eleviating pressure on the defensive end.

-You could argue for or against tanking, but lets face it, you arent going to convince a coach and players who are trying to make millions of dollars on their next deal to kick the ball out of bounds and openly lose on purpose so they can get somebody in the draft/new head coach to replace them in the future.

Either way, the Rockets are rebuilding, but they aren't going to do it by being bad. You think its cause Les is cheap and doesnt want to sacrifice empty seats. Maybe your right, maybe your wrong, but its way too early to say that Les and Morey are wrong just yet. Good franchises do not spend decades in NBA hell like the Wizards or TWolves.

I do not blame Morey/Les one bit for doing it the way of the Celtics or Lakers which I personally believe have a much better model to follow. Maybe you are right and the Wizards model for rebuilding is the right way to rebuild... I guess we will see in a few years.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

There's MAYBE a half dozen owners I would prefer to Les - that aint many... We should all be thankful we have an owner in the top 25% of his peers...

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Clue number 1, he is a dude and his name is Leslie.

DD

8. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Leslie Alexander is clearly a better than average owner...

9. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

He’s good because he hired Morey, and that's it.

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Trade veterans for picks.

Play the young guys.

Get a lotto pick.

A Ferris wheel of mediocrity , is utterly pointless.

11. caneks

caneks Rookie

This team has the same owner who won two rings, spent money on draft picks and are willing to spend more than the cap limit to bring right player.

The owner is fine, we just need better GM who knows NBA, has right evaluation on players and can make trades to improve this club.

12. Dei

Dei Member

If you're gonna blame Les for keeping his product mediocre, you may as well blame the fans for buying it.

13. Half Nelson

Half Nelson Member

Yeah that's true. Les is the least of our worries. It could be a lot worse.

14. Red&BlackPudman

It's either this or trade for a beast. No other option. Les and Morey are not the problem by the way so this thread is about as stupid as it gets.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is no League FOR OLD MEN. He is not getting superstars he wants, nor even allstars , maybe Lowry but thats about it. He'll has to stick to .500 basketball for a while.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Hornets went bankrupt. Bob Johnson lost millions on the Bobcats.

Do I think Les is losing money? Absolutely not. Obviously once he sales it, he will profit, but is he realizing big profits while owning it? According to Forbes, only since Yao Ming came aboard.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He might care about his offspring
    but I doubt in the twilight of his years Leslie personally is still thinking about how much more money he will haul in.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Time for Les to say goodbye? What do you say Les?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3_CF3tALIuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Les is laughing at you! :grin:

[rquoter]Alexander cannot foresee any scenario that would cause him to sell his franchise.

"No, it's like a Picasso," Alexander said. "You don't want to really sell a Picasso, so no."[/rquoter]

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

man I can't believe what a bad owner. He had the nerve to trade tracy murray for clyde drexler.

What was he thinking trying to get barkley?

I mean glen rice that guy was good on NBA live but..

oh yeah that time he traded dickerson and went after the #2 pick in stevie franchise, that was a move that showed me he doesn't want to win.

I couldnt stand it when he tried to step to the plate and get artest behind everyones back.

Tracy mcgrady move showed me he didnt want a scorer either.

20. choujie

choujie Member

Well, you gotta look who's on the roaster. Even cheap Cavs owner paid top dollar with Lebron in the lineup.

Top 10(and I'm not sure if that's true) in payroll when one of the biggest money making machine is on the team actually makes the owner look cheap,

He had healthy Yao and Tmac at one time and didn't want go over the luxury tax line, left those two without much help, if at all.

Making a push for Nene and Gasol + Hayes in exchange for Martin and Scola means nothing either, most of the NBA owners will do that.

I feel Alexander is an average NBA owner, and that's being generous.