1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander Pursuing NHL Team for Houston

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MadMax, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I worked for a hockey team. I triple dog dare you to say that to the face of a hockey player. Preferably this guy (whom I know):

[​IMG]

My prediction is within 10 seconds of the word gay coming out of your mouth, your teeth will enter your stomach.

How much live hockey have you watched? If you are comparing it to soccer it can't have been much.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The only way this would be cool is if he sold the Rockets to do it.

3. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

You're posting that comment on a site devoted to watching grown men run around in shorts and undershirts.

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I could care less what the hell a hockey player is built like

I'm saying I hate the sport and it's lame.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good for you, don't watch it then. But coming into a thread about hockey and calling people that play it or like it, "gay", is juvenile. However, seeing some of your other posts, I'd expect nothing less.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Buy a Hockey team on the cheap...sell tickets at reasonable prices...wait a few years for hockey to come back...sell high.

7. mulletman

mulletman Member

aside from taking our oilers, didnt the NHL originally pick nashville over houston when they were deciding where to put the team?

8. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That's the biggest flaming homosexual I have ever seen.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Holy Jeebus, texxx, I never thought of that. AWESOME! :D

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

That's the best reason I've heard. Nashville owes Houston a franchise!

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wasn't the Nashville city that beat out Houston when were trying to get that very NHL expansion team?

I say they owe us 2 Franchises right now.

12. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

man I want to take Nashville's team!

I'm in college in Nashville.. and I live in an apartment downtown a few blocks from the arena.. I wish I had Houston Predators gear to wear and hang in my window for people going to the Nashville Predators games to see as they drive down the road.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I remember years ago we were weeks away from taking over Edmonton's hockey team. Until some Canadians decided that Edmonton still deserved its team and bought it before Les could get his hands on it...

Man we almost had the Houston Oilers again (except this time in hockey)

Although it seems like there are plenty of teams in hockey that we could take because they expanded way too fast. Cities like Columbus, Tampa Bay, San Jose, etc.. dont need hockey teams. Take Tampa Bay's Stanley Cup team so we get a good team to start.

14. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Unless the price of NHL tickets have gone down, I don't see it working here in Houston.

I think I'd be a little fired up to see an NHL team here, that being said, I know next to nothing about hockey but would really like to understand how the game is played and it would be nice to follow a team. I've never really been able to get into the Aeros since it seems that their team turns over every year.

If Alexander can do it...great, if not then oh well. I've gone years without hockey and I guess I'll never know what I'm missing.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

What they need to do is contract some teams.

16. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't think Hockey will be succesful in Houston. Didn't the NHL learn from it's mistakes?

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

What you say is logical but the fact that the NHL is expanding to Columbus, Tampa Bay, San Jose etc... is evidence enough that the fourth largest city in the country can have hockey. There are probably enough transplants from the north that like hockey. I'm sure we could do as well as the franchises in smaller cities. Plus the salary cap and new changes to hockey make having a franchise much more feasible.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

An NHL franchise has been a great way to lose money over the last few years as many have declined in value.

Maybe Les can pick one up on the cheap now or something.

19. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

IMHO, If the NHL were to succeed here in Houston it needs to be embraced by corporate dollars and a solid fan base. I'm pretty sure companies around Houston would buy suites and season tickets, but you also need the AIS factor and if tickets aren't affordable then hardly anyone will show up.

As much as I love them, the Rockets have a hard enough time drawing large crowds and we know there is a solid fan base for them (look at what site we're at). Unfortunately there are a lot of fair-weather fans here in Houston and it is my opinion that if the team does not win right away, it may not succeed here in Houston.

20. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

I still remembered I have started a thread some months ago on the possibilities of Houston landing an NHL franchise... and responses (from this board at least) were not that great... There were some cases where people would like to see the Aeros remain rather than having an NHL team (due to increased costs to see a game)...

Is it because of the hatred against Nashville for stealing the Oilers that fans would like to have some "revenge" against the Music City?