1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kojirou, Jul 17, 2010.

1. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Les Alexander/Daryl Morey/Rick Adelman..first class management, the envy of the entire league, the glory days are ahead for the Houston Rockets.

2. batizy

batizy Member

Dont' worry about lux tax please

Morey is the person who needs to concern that, Les is a great owner back of him with the checks, why are we worried about the cap or lux tax? And I do believe Morey can dump 6M-9M salaries easily (possbile Anderson and/or Jeffris) before all star break.

We can just be relax and expect the wonderful season coming.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, but you guys are all missing one huge bit of info.

DD

4. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

ur sig is phat

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

I would estimate our current salary at a little less than 78 mil. I think we will dump Andersen to go down to around 75, then dump Jefferies or Battier to get under the luxury tax.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

good thread.

regardless of individual opinions on the recent signings/contracts, Les' willingness to go deep into luxury tax land (especially in light of not getting bosh) should be commended. i think many owners would have let lowry walk, and low balled scola.

7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Rest of the Houston franchises can learn something from Les by hiring the right people...wonder if Les would be interested in buying the DISAstros or the Texans.

8. tharges

tharges Member

Best owner in Houston hands down.
    He hired the best GM in the league as well and always puts a winner out on the floor. I have been a fan since I was 4 and I love our forumn as well.
    It would be nice if Drayton would learn how to run his team as well, worst move was letting GM Hunsicker leave. He reminds me Morey.

Thank you Les!

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL why can't we have an appreciation thread in this GARM without haters hating? Even something as good, as humane as Tmac donating to darfur, you have haters complaining that he isn't working on his game. You have a thread about Scola being resigned, and you have people complaining he's overpaid. Now we have a thread thanking Les for paying the tax, and you have this clown complaining he hasn't paid the tax for 10 years in a row :rolleyes:

The fact is the Houston Rockets are Les Alexander's property. If he wanted to, he could nickel and dime the franchise the way No and and PHX does, but he doesn't. In fact this year he's going above and beyond an owner's responsibility to pony up the dough. You can count on one hand the number of owners in the league who put winning over $$$, and I'm glad our owner is one of them.

10. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

IMO he is one of the top 5 owners in the NBA, and he doesn't care about his pockets when it comes to winning.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Les has been great to Houston.

I hope that this is the year the team brings another championship to both Mr. Alexander and the great city of Houston.

12. jedicro

jedicro Member

Getting insurance money doesn't mean that he is obligated to go over tax this year. He could just count himself ahead and move on.

13. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

We are so fortunate to have Les as well. Even though we praise Morey, he would not be able to do the things he does without a great owner backing him up. Don't forget, Les shelled out for Lowry and Scola and gave those guys contracts that they deserve. Les shelled out for Brad Miller as well knowing we could not go into the season with Hill / Hayes backing up Yao.

Les THANK YOU!

14. DaDakota

Yes he could but the team has made more money these last 2 years because of having large salaries covered, that they are basically playing with house money.

DD

15. rocket3forlife2

I've always likes Les.

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Les is a successful business man. He made smart business decisions.

17. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

do you guys really think we're gonna stay that far into the luxury tax all year? These guys make moves to get under the cap every season. I don't think they'll get under, but at least try to limit the damage.

whatever the case, thank you leslie.

18. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

So where should he have spent that money?

19. DaDakota

No, you are missing my point.

I don't give him that much credit if this is a "One year" thing......because they banked tons of money these last 2 years because of injuries that they could easily absorb a one year hit.

Sure, he could put the money in his pocket, and I admire the organization for stepping up this year, but if anyone thinks that this year and the over the lux tax line is not impacted by the organization making a killing these last 2 years, they are fooling themselves.

So, why I do give them credit, I don't think it is really that big of a deal.

DD

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Good point. I wish we could really find the facts of exactly what they have pocketed in the past few seasons with insurance included.