1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander and the luxury tax

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WestendMassive, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

WHOA WHOA WHOA

I understand Les may deserve zero respect, but he doesn't deserve to be branded with a racist label.

Les was a mediocre governor who stole our trophies, nothing more nothing less.

WestendMassive likes this.
  2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

who cares about the luxury tax............stop making it such a big deal, luxury tax doesn't defend or shoot the ball for you

tinman likes this.
  3. Aspiring Player

As someone who actually plays the game... I promise you that we would rather play for les.

Les:2
    Other Rockets owners combined: zero

BeardNation13 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Les may not have paid the tax

Les may have taken the trophies with him

Les may have been a self agrandizing billionaire

But les never raised this much bluster about how he is willing / "wants" to pay the tax .... and then "miraculously" roster moves are made to get under the tax

I would also argue from a risk perspective ... it was way more risky for les to go "all in" on the primes of his superstars (at least tmac and Yao years) because those guys were so injury prone .

There is just no excuse for tilman to not try to extend the WB trade or sign shumpert as an asset to use later .

If we win the title it will be because James and Russell are THAT good , not because the owner paid to bring in the best help for them

Kim, joshuaao and daywalker02 like this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He inherited the championship team

As a person who witnessed all of it

And a pure fan I know I am right and Les fans are wrong

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Barkley played for Les Alexander and got shafted three million dollars

I wish all Les fans If they have jobs that their employer forgets to pay them a large chunk of their salary

@Rasheed

Rasheed likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

He talked about new uniforms and we got them
    Les didn’t care that we hated the uniforms

8. Aspiring Player

At the end of the day, players do it for championships. It's what drives you, motivates you, keeps you going.

Les fostered that type of growth. Tilman and his fans don't understand motivation or how an athlete thinks.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

You obviously know nothing about the rockets history
    Your response has nothing to do with Barkley

You aren’t a rockets fans

Rasheed likes this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

All Les fans leave Clutchfans now
    You cheapskate, trophies stealing , Floridians
    Delete your accounts

Rasheed likes this.
  11. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Please show some respect to @tinman noob.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

I don’t want his respect
    I want his troll account deleted

jordnnnn likes this.
  13. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Several mistakes.

1. Les didn't pay the luxury tax willingly in 2016, Stan Van Gundy screwed him up. Morey made a tax ducking trade at the trading deadline of 2016 sending D-Mo and Marcus Thronton out and getting back 1 FRP. It would have kept us under the tax line: https://deadspin.com/the-pistons-are-voiding-a-three-way-trade-and-it-has-h-1760618513, but Stan Van Gundy voided the trade. Also it makes no sense to believe that he was willing to pay the tax that year, because there were really no reason to. We were completely irrelevant. If Les was really willing to pay tax that year, he would have paid tax every year.

2. Mark Cuban isn't a free spender. Cutting Finely, unwilling to pay Nash, JT, Chandler, even Dirk. Dirk should have gotten at least more than 10M per year for his last few seasons, but Cuban only paid him 5M.

#93 James.B.H, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I know Rudy T, Dawson, even Hakeem himself said signing with the Raptors was about the chance to win another championship. But anyone who followed news that year should know this is completely BS, it was all about money and nothing else. Hakeem wanted to retire as a Rocket with a decent pay, Les was unwilling to pay what he wanted(he wasn't demanding that much). 3 year 16.5M (that's what Hakeem got from Toronto) wasn't a unreasonable number, and it was not like Les had to pay Luxury tax(there was no such thing at that time) because of it. David Robinson got paid 20M for his last two years, and the Spurs even paid Luxury tax in 2003 because of it.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol tinman presses the call button and asks the nurse for another hit when he realizes les got drexler

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Les fans are no smarter than Lin fans

they both know nothing about the Rockets

absolutely NOTHING

17. tinman

Supporting Member

les wasn't racist, he just hated Rockets fans

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

We will all miss otis thorpe but kudos to uncle les for being a great owner and going for it getting hometown hero clyde drexler leading to our 2nd title:
    Feb 15 1995 HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    ROCKETS TRADE FOR FORMER UH STAR DREXLER
    "
    Get ready for Phi Slama Jama, Part II. One of Houston's favorite sons is coming home.

After 11½ years in Portland, the ever-popular Clyde Drexler is joining forces again with former University of Houston teammate Hakeem Olajuwon. In a blockbuster trade designed to put the Rockets on course for a repeat title, Houston acquired Drexler and Tracy Murray on Tuesday in exchange for power forward Otis Thorpe.

"This is a dream come true," Drexler said. "When I told my mother, she was so ecstatic she started to cry.

"I'm just going to come in and blend my talents with the talent that's already here. The Dream is the best in the game. All he needs is a little help and we can win another championship."

Olajuwon was almost giddy after hearing that he is being reunited with Drexler.

"It's too good to be true," Olajuwon said. "I can't believe it. Now, our team is going to be different. We'll have more speed. Clyde is a natural athlete who creates so many opportunities."

The Blazers will get a conditional draft pick from Houston, which will be determined prior to the 1995 draft. The Blazers also get the rights to 1993 second-round draft pick Marcelo Nicola.

"This is an exciting day for the Rockets and for the city of Houston," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. "We are dedicated in our quest to win another NBA championship and believe this will give us the opportunity. Clyde is a great competitor, one of the greatest players of all time and a future Hall of Famer."

The Rockets wanted to give their 1993-94 title team every opportunity to repeat. But it had become obvious to the Rockets' coaches after a slip-and-slide first half that something would have to be done if the Rockets were going to make another charge toward a title.
    Feb 15 1995
    "
    https://m.chron.com/local/history/s...trade-for-former-UH-star-Drexler-10973742.php

Aspiring Player likes this.
  19. Aspiring Player

Someone tell me why we have tilman only fans like @tinman and @Rasheed disrespecting our title teams?

BeardNation13 and IBTL like this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

When new users pop up with an agenda, they are usually troll accounts.

At Clutchfans, they tend to be deleted not so long afterwards