1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leigh Bodden Release

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Oct 28, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Pass completion percentage tend to be higher than pass % to just receivers. NFL offenses these days have too much dumpoffs to backs and ends for padding this stat.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I did not realize... Bodden's spot in the rotation will now be filled by... I can't even believe it: Atwuan Molden.

This guy can't be any good.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I was wondering about the Molden reference earlier in the thread. Who is playing safety for the Pats these days, John Busing?

Wouldn't it be funny if the Texans cut Trindon Holliday to make room for Bodden, then the Pats signed him too?

5. Nook

Nook Member

It is simple, if the Patriots think he is no longer good, then we do not want him. They have an uncanny ability to judge their own players....

Look at Warren, Merriweather, etc.

6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

anybody, i repeat anybody is a better option than Kareem Jackson (except matt stevens)

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

from some of the articles, it doesn't seem to be that clean cut from some of the articles. He wasn't playing the best but there was definitely some tension between him and the coaching staff.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is Kareem really that bad?

Wade Phillips keeps throwing him out there. He must be doing something right.

9. Hey Now!

From same site: "The Patriots have had Devin McCourty and Kyle Arrington as their starting corners, with Bodden the third man, followed by Molden in the dime. Rookie Ras-I Dowling is also on the depth chart, but he's been sidelined since Week 2 with a hip injury."
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...and-patriots-players-told-cb-leigh-bodden-cut

Sounds like the coach wasn't thrilled about paying his 3rd corner that much money - though, if he isn't claimed, he'll pay him the same amount to not play. He either really dislikes Bodden on a personal level, or the guy is not very good.

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i think he's an easy target and does give you those couple of "WTF" plays a game but I do think he has improved and really hasnt been so horrible the last couple of weeks.

His biggest problem is his lack of speed so he's susceptible to getting beat deap

11. DonnyMost

LOL that article was edited literally right after I posted it to show a new/different depth chart. The last version of the article was from 11PM on the 27th, now it says 2PM on the 28th.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

But if Bodden's playing nickel back, as several in this thread claim, he's defending against some of those dumpoffs to backs and ends.

13. Hey Now!

He's undoubtedly become a lightening rod - this often happens. You see it with Schaub; recently with Jacoby; previously with Mario - mob mentality. Which is not to say its unwarranted - but I think there is some hyper-focus that leans toward overboard.

Having said that, he undoubtedly gets picked on by opposing QBs; that's for sure. But the team is ranked 14th against the pass after being 32nd last year so... I mean, he's not so bad he's holding them back. But he could certainly be upgraded.

14. ima_drummer2k

Not a KJ fan at all, but I do think he takes a lot of unwarranted heat this year. The Texans are ranked 8th in the league in passing yards allowed, and their best pass rusher is out for the year. How bad could he be?

Again, I'm not a fan at ALL and I hope we look into signing Bodden, but defense hasn't been the problem this year.

15. DonnyMost

If our defense has one glaring weakness, it's the 2nd CB spot. And really, Mario may not be our best defensive player anymore. I mean, he's good, but it looks like we're going to do just fine without him. The defense isn't the problem, but just because it's good doesn't mean he isn't keeping it from being even better.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yep! i'm satisfied with the Texans!!! :grin:

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

This guy below agrees.

GregABedard Greg A. Bedard
    Same Bedard guy on Boston radio talking about it:

Bodden is released. We know his play wasn't great but how surprised are you that they went to this length?

I'm moderately surprised. I mean really when it comes down and you look at it, take whatever you thought of Leigh Bodden as a name, when he came here, he's been a good player in this league, if you just look at what he's done this year on the field, if you watch the film, he hasn't been effective. I think he's been hurt. Playing through injury. Now whether there is an issue of him thinking he needs rest and the team thinking he's healthy, I don't know.

The agent wanted to confirm it but also said it was amicable and Leigh is healthy and hunger to still play. I think he looked old out there. This team, looking at the schedule, guys coming off PUP, how much % did that weigh into it as opposed to Leigh Bodden just looked old. 70/30 this was a personnel roster decision?

I think its 70/30 yeah, personnel roster decision. I heard from a source that my reasoning I have been putting out there on twitter is accurate. When you take everything out and look at it, when they came out of camp, they had 6 CBs, that's a little heavy even with the Dowling injury. Say, Deadrick, Brace, Faulk, say they were ready to go by the end of TC, the team would have to made more tough choices. One of those choices would have been at CB. I think the decision would have come down to Molden and Bodden at the end of TC. Its definitely possible Bodden could have gotten released at the end of TC but because of the situation with the roster, they ended up keeping him and 6 CBs. Right now they got 5. Considering Dowling, you dont know whats going on with him, maybe they add someone else off the PS or FA. Looking at it, at this point, after the bye week, they think Molden is better than Bodden and they need the roster space.

Amazing that statement would ever even be made. The difficulty they had against the big physical reciever throughout the first 6 games, they had trouble making plays up in the air, now they're looking at recievers that look like the smurfs. QUick and shorter. Plaxico only big guy left. This team looks ahead at who they play. A lot of people will have a tough time with this release because it takes away depth at a position where they feel is thin, but is it more about matchups one on one with the teams they're playing down the road?

Definitely possible. I just think Molden at this point is better. When you talk about the smaller group of recievers they'll be going against, when you looked at Bodden, he had trouble moving, he was a long strider, he was just having trouble in a lot of areas. They just feel this personnel is more effective. They're playing more zone now. Maybe their other personnel fits that. When you take the name Leigh Bodden out of it, it does make sense. It doesnt make sense when you look at the struggles that they've had on pass defense but he's been part of it. The technique has been bad. Theyve gotten better since they went to zone. I think they feel better about their personnel now and felt Bodden wasnt good enough.

Is this an opening for more than one guy like a Molden. If Dowling can stay healthy, is this his chance to factor in?

Yeah. Coming out of camp, they wanted Dowling to be a starter. No question that he had the talent to do it. He had this injury history back to high school. The team knew they had to deal with this. When healthy, if ever there, he is one of the best CBs on the team, maybe the best.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/?podcast...k=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.BOSTON

18. ima_drummer2k

Just sayin'.... :)

19. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

This is a great opportunity for....you guessed it...

[​IMG]

I swear, If he finally starts playing good i'm going to be real annoyed.

20. Hey Now!

I don't know about that - anyone notice how quiet Anotonio Smith has been these past two weeks, and how quiet, overall, the pass rush was Sunday? I think, longer-term, we're really going to miss Mario Williams.