1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leigh Bodden Release

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by MadMax, Oct 28, 2011.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If we can bring him in for just this season, of course you do it because it is an upgrade, regardless of how little of an upgrade it is.

However, if Leigh wants a 3+ year contract, then its a questionable decision to bring him in because that would still be an area of weakness, given how he's played over the last 2 seasons.

2. Buck Turgidson

...and now he's on IR for the season with a dislocated jaw.

1 person likes this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Well I havent had the pleasure of personally asking him about his groin... So how the hell am I to know... Dont know what kind of answer you're lookin for there....Are organizations supposed to wait until he's 100% before determining he isnt the same player as before?

Some cases when talking about players , people are either delusional or excessively optimistic..... In this case it may be both....

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's rare for anyone to score a multi-year deal following a midseason cut.

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

hes better than what we got

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, except that I don't.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's the thing though..you don't have to be excessively optimistic to know that Bodden is better than Kareem and/or Allen!! this is super simple!!!

you're in win now mode and you have a chance to upgrade...you do it!

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm a simple unforzen caveman lawyer - your new fangled shiny passes defensed statistics scare me.

It seems like a remarkably high success rate, no? I honestly have no idea. I'm reading up a bit and, my goodness - the Patriot pass defense is terrible; like Texans '10 terrible. It doesn't sound like it's all the CBs' fault - but they're not distinguishing themselves, either.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

How can I be more like you, Mr. Reid? I wanna change zip codes like I change clothes, too.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

It's not good, and it's not average, but it's not bad either. Especially compared to what we have. The Patriots pass D is bad, their pass rush is even worse. I think Bodden is a victim of circumstance. Given how KJ/Allen have played *almost* as bad as last year, despite the fact that our pass rush is a lot better... I have to think that those guys just flat out suck no matter what.

11. Hey Now!

It'll be interesting to see if the Texans bite. They obviously had interest last year - but that was pre-Wade Phillips.

12. rezdawg

I agree...but that still has to be something Leigh decides. For all I know, he's not the most humble guy when it comes to stuff like this.

Keep in mind that we are pressed up against the cap...if Leigh wants what he thinks he deserves, we'll have to shed about 2 million of payroll to bring him in.

13. MadMax

let's Kareem our payroll to make it happen. :cool:

14. DonnyMost

Let's not forget the all-important factor for Kubiak and Smith...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rezdawg

I'd be more than content with that.

16. Hey Now!

Let's also not forget at least 15 other teams will get a shot to claim him before we get around to the Texans. This is not a free agent free-for-all but a waiver wire pick-up which orders teams by record.

17. DonnyMost

He was released, not waived, no?

18. MadMax

I know we can always count on you to defend the Texans even before they fail or fail to do something. :grin: #preemptivedefense

1 person likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen him play in two years. There will be salary cap issues with bringing him in, but he may be worth the players the Texans would be giving up if he is still an okay CB still. If it involves any money tricks that could cost the Texans Mario or Foster next season, no way.

20. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

PFT says he's subject to waivers and whoever claims him picks up a 2.064 million cap spot for the rest of this year. I think we have that space, but I don't know how his contract works after that. It says he has a base salary of 3.9 in 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/28/pats-cut-leigh-bodden/