1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legal Article: Royce White & Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans w/ Disabilities Act

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jan 2, 2013.

1. CertifiedTroll

Carl is an attention magnet, completely different than an attention w****. (am I a contributing member now?)

[​IMG]

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

White is a major douchebag who's using #Anxiety #MentalWellness as an excuse for his refusal to play right now.

I bet this is all over playing time and his role on the team, he was perfectly fine with flying at Iowa, now he can't? Hm...If this was a real issue his teammates and coaches from Iowa would've spoken up (for Royce) already..

3. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

This is my thought since the beginning. How'd he play in Division I college with no real problems?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

they had little talent otherwise. he was in charge

5. basketballholic

I think this issue should be revisited at this time. I'm wondering, since the whole season passed without Royce playing a single minute, with him walking away from RGV also, is there a possibility now that he can be waived due to mental disability without the Rockets owing him any money?

In Coon's Q&A (http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q62)

he states:

The key language here is the last sentence. Rookie scale contracts are not necessarily protected against mental disability. That is a negotiated protection.

I never saw anything about whether or not Royce's contract included this guarantee but it would only make sense that in regards to his previous history that Morey would have NOT negotiated this guarantee protection into Royce's contract.

If what I suspect is true (that is that there is no guarantee in Royce's contract for mental disability), then that would mean there is a possibility of simply escaping his contract at this time if the league deemed that he is mentally disabled enough to not be able to perform.

Morey has been intentionally quiet on this matter, refusing to make any comments at all about Royce. That leads me to believe that he has been in communication with the league office regarding Royce and has a very good idea on what he is going to be able to do with Royce's guarantee for 2013/14. I am suspecting that Morey may release White prior to 2013/14 with league approval waiving his 2013/14 salary hit and perhaps even the league approving some sort of settlement with Royce that would essentially go against our 13 cap somehow. If this happens, of course Royce and his team are going to sue and the case will drag out in court for several years most likely. But if the league has already ruled some sort of out (since mental disability in the CBA is not more clearly spelled out than it is) for Morey all Royce's protesting isn't going to reverse the release and the give-back of his cap space for 2013-14.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I can't wait till Royce demands a service dog with him on the bench to combat anxiety

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As a dog lover, I support this idea. Just make sure the beastie loves to fly.

[​IMG]

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I am hoping we are able to deal White with Robinson.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Royce White's anxiety service dog

[​IMG]

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

White's service dog shoots free throws better than he does.

11. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I can't wait to play this coming season...

<a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ManHunt&amp;src=hash">#ManHunt</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/statuses/349935905773072387">June 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He must really like the Rio Grande Valley

2 people like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

I know for a fact that Morey is really tired of White and his antics -- a close friend of mine is a friend of DM's and said he's beyond pissed off. I'd venture a guess that the Rockets will take the first chance they get to end the relationship with White, assuming it can be done cleanly, without hurting the team much financially and without resulting in any bad publicity.

14. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

That made me laugh out loud at work....

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought White Man can't fly I mean fly

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

White does have issues if he believes he's going to get playing time. He burnt that bridge many times over.

17. basketballholic

18. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

19. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

#ManHunt sounds like a gay dating service web site...

The plot thickens!

1 person likes this.
  20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member