1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legal Article: Royce White & Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans w/ Disabilities Act

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jan 2, 2013.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He was willing to drive to games.

What he was unwilling to do was play for the Rio Grande Vipers. Or report to Rio Grande for training camp.

The fact that Rockets keep sending our rookies to the Vipers and they comply definitely weakens White's argument that he is being punished for his mental health problems.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

God, I love this site! Great info IzakD!

3. Hak34

Hak34 Member

How dare you pair "the worlds most interesting man" (guy in white jacket on far left) with "the worlds most un-interesting cry baby" in one photo.

4. gate470

gate470 Rookie

So, this all went downhill when we assigned him to the d-league then. He thinks he's NBA ready and he insists the rockets are punishing him(his mental illness) by sending him to the d-league.

5. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

White playing in Europe will just increase his anxiety. The fans there can get crazy

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think very many people are taking him seriously. In fact, I don't think very many casual fans are even aware this situation exists. I seriously doubt there are many players who are taking this situation seriously.

I really feel like he's only hurting himself.

7. Jet036

Jet036 Member

This thread was WAY more interesting and necessary than the useless one you created. Every post I've seen of yours you try to sound better than other members or sound pompous in some way. You're sense of entitlement is worse than Royce White's. Get off your high horse and get off your period.

2 people like this.
  8. Jet036

Jet036 Member

This says it all right here.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not sure you read the OP when it was first posted. The Photoshopped pictures making fun of Royce White's mental illness-- and which OP had already posted in another Royce White thread-- were intermingled with quotes from the McCann article. Clutch had to separate those out into a separate post.

This is why I posted the reply you quoted. Frankly, it's all well and fine for people to argue Royce White is in the wrong (though much of the stuff is unknown since neither side is revealing any specifics-- I do believe that the team has every reason to make all reasonable mental health accommodations that they can make without unduly burdening the process of running a basketball team), but for OP to make fun of his mental illness (which the pictures do) bothers me. I don't think it's much better than for people who don't like the OP (for whatever reason, like his political opinion, for example) to make fun of the OP for having a child dealing with her own medical condition. Moreover, the OP's pictures and comments were just one of a gang of posts which basically say "Royce White sucks! Cut him pay him nothing!"

As for the value of the article-- frankly, it's not worth that much. It puts a good deal of focus on travel arrangements, which does not appear to be the heart of the dispute any more since the situation blew up over decision making power of GM vs. doctors and "protocol" issues well after the parties already agreed to the travel arrangement. Moreover, the solutions proposed in the article are simply unrealistic. As many have said here, there is simply no way the other 29 owners would give the Rockets a new draft pick for drafting a player that doesn't work out due to a risk that teams were aware of at the time. Also, permitting Royce White, or any other NBA player, to be put "on loan" to an overseas team would require an overhaul of the CBA.

Overall, the article seems to be just the author's speculation without much actual legal research into either relevant law or relevant provisions of the CBA or Uniform Player Contract.

Yes, this post here says it all about you and this thread.

As for your comments about the quality of the threads I created. If you don't think a particular thread is relevant to the discussion of this team (be it one talking about Kevin Pelton's explanation as to why HOU is outplaying preseason projections, the one talking about news of Delfino's food poisoning, the one looking at the upcoming strength of schedule of the Rockets remaining games or whatever) or do not believe anything I specifically posted is wrong, you can reply there. You seem to know how to operate the reply button.

#69 Carl Herrera, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. dragonz

dragonz Member

a quick guess, which is more, death caused by car accident or airplane accident in each year? quick quick.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

car crashes go into ten thousands

aviation accidents this year or past year 11-30 with about 100-200 fatalities

12. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I never once made fun of his mental condition, one picture was of him crying saying 'I don't want to play in the D-League', the other of him playing with a toy bus surrounded by his hash tags...but anyway, bygones.

Still Bros Brah?

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53210/will-royce-white-ever-play-in-the-nba

Not a bad article.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I thought the bus pic relates to his anxiety about flying, but I see that you do not intend to make fun of his illness. So, sorry that I misinterpreted-- and kudos for replying to me in a classy fashion. Thanks.

Still, don't think we need to just keep taking shots at the guy, when so many have already been taken in multiple places by multiple people.

As for the situation, it will get resolved somehow and the hidden details of what went on will eventually come to light. Not sure it is all that interesting to keep shouting about it, from one perspective or another, given that we are just arguing over a non-rotation player. At this point, I will take my own advice and stop arguing about it until some significant new info actually come to light.

1 person likes this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Are you seriously complaining about someone being an attention w****? Seriously? You of all people?

1 person likes this.
  15. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

16. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

So who has the upper hand for legally? Can we cut him without getting into trouble?

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Poor Royce, it's hard to keep the "anxiety" angle when it's all too apparent he's just an extremely manipulative, narcissistic person with a life-long and ongoing problem of people enabling him.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

No mention of the #protocol

19. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

The article highlights an unexplored perspective on the White debacle, so it's definitely thread-worthy. It's just crazy to lump this thread in with the other pile of crappy Royce White threads.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/01/05/white-says-chances-high-he-wont-play/?ls=iref:nbahpt6e