1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Legal Article: Royce White & Reasonable Accommodations Under the Americans w/ Disabilities Act

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jan 2, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, this mainly touches on his fear of flying. Pretty sure that's not the issue at hand here. And Stern/the NBA isn't going to gift a pick back to the Rockets because they screwed up here.

2. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

How the hell is this another "he sucks" post? There were like 2000 words worth of very interesting analysis and a nice explanation/timeline of the situation. It wasn't even all that critical of him, pretty dry description of the situation...

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't need another thread called "The Royce White Situation", though this is a good article that should be read. WAY too many opinions and mocking photos inserted into a legal article though. I moved those to a second reply.

Can't see any way this happens... teams would flip out by saying they would have picked Royce if they knew there was a fallback plan of a compensatory pick if he didn't pan out. Teams could easily argue that the risk taken was the Rockets' and the Rockets' alone.

But if it was possible, I'd be all over exploring this option if I was the Rockets.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. If HOU gets compensation for White's mental illness, does Portland also gets compensated for the later-revealed physical disability of Sam Bowie and Greg Oden? The risk on Royce White, as reflected in the Grantland.com video, is well known among teams and caused many not to consider him. Even Morey said they knew the risk and took it because White's talent level would make him a much higher pick without the mental illness risk. There is no claiming that the situation is a total surprise to HOU and uniquely entitles it to compensation for a draft pick that did not work out. Caveat Emptor.

2. One thing in the article that may be interesting, if the rules allow, is the possibility of finding a way for the Rockets to hold on to Royce White's rights while he figure things out, possibly while playing for an non-NBA team.

For what it's worth, there these tweets posted on hoopshype (not sure who the source is), saying that White's agent is exploring options in Europe:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Ante las previsiblemente malas derivadas legales que podría tener una disputa legal entre Royce White y los Houston Rockets, (sigue)</p>&mdash; Miguel Á. Paniagua (@pantxopaniagua) <a href="https://twitter.com/pantxopaniagua/status/286560814004072448" data-datetime="2013-01-02T19:53:16+00:00">January 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>su agencia de representación se dispone a explorar opciones en Europa la semana que viene. Habría, eso sí clausula "No Fly" en su contrato.</p>&mdash; Miguel Á. Paniagua (@pantxopaniagua) <a href="https://twitter.com/pantxopaniagua/status/286561409775566849" data-datetime="2013-01-02T19:55:38+00:00">January 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't really see how they do it unless Royce White is released and clears waivers. I remember Ersan Ilyasova was drafted and played for MIL, then spent a few years in Europe, before coming back to MIL, but the contractual situation is different. Ilysasova was a 2nd round pick and had a 2 year contract. He left after the contract ended, but MIL retained his Bird Rights and Restricted FA status. Being a 1st round pick, the situation does not seem to match for White.

#24 Carl Herrera, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think the article is suggesting that the league office might utilize such measures to incentivize Houston to cut ties with white rather than prolong a pr potential nightmare. The article suggests that since Houston can just continue to fine white it will eventually recoup a large portion of the contract and if being the case there's no reason for Houston to cut white in hopes that he might turn things around. They've already used a pick for him. Unless they get a pick back there's no reason to cut him since his value can only increase at this point.

Not saying stern would/could do it. Just saying the writer implies that's why the league office would be incentivized to do it if they could.

6. Lostie

Lostie Member

I doubt there will any compensation given in the form of additional picks.

That just sets a pretty terrible precedent.

7. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Feel like all Houston fans should get compensation.

#timewasted #carewasted #hashtagphobia

8. CertifiedTroll

I am just pretending he is Hasheem Thabeet 2.0 and counting days till he is cleansed of the roster

9. logggur

logggur Member

I have to assume the standard for compensatory draft picks was set 26 years ago when Len Bias died and the Celtics didn't get an extra pick.

I would guess the Rockets were more likely to get a draft pick in compensation for the botched Gasol trade (due to mishandling the situation by the league) than this, and we all know how that turned out.

10. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

some fans have anxiety issues over white...

11. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

when did royce white become lebron james and the #1 draft pick of the nba and future nba superstar?

all this haggling and commotion for a mid round pick who has yet played an nba regular season game is pathetically nauseating.

12. Lostie

Lostie Member

Man, it's about all the #anxietytroopers who want the #Rockets to follow #protocol and be #transparent for #people with #disabilities.

13. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

14. bongman

bongman Member

I wish this was true. It will give RW and idea on how many professional teams in this universe will give him a "No Fly" contract based on 0 NBA minutes.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like YOU really care. You are butthurt that a worthy thread was started by someone that was not you?

CH complaining about starting a new thread? That's rich. All along I thought CH cared about new info/helpful but really it's a pissing contest? son I am disappoint.

Btw thanks OP for starting a new thread that is interesting new, and will get many posts... sorry it wasn't CH that started it.

You can be assured in the next 10 minutes CH will start a new thread on something in 3.2.1 . Anything. doesnt matter. posted thread.

3 people like this.
  16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point -- it does seem to be saying that more. I still don't see it though ... this is so much more of a black eye for the Rockets than it is for the NBA. It doesn't seem like the NBA would have an incentive to avoid the PR nightmare, but the Rockets would.

I wonder if the Rockets really can recoup the entire salary in fines. I highly doubt that the Players Union would allow that. The article says "diminish the incentive" to release him. I truly don't know, but I assume there is a limit to player fines.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

but isn't player insurance paying his salary while he's 'incapacitated' anyways?

18. TdashDUB

TdashDUB Contributing Member

Thanks for posting.
    I doubt I would have seen it if it were only posted in the other thread.

19. alethios

alethios Member

We should be able to put him on disabled list for the season and request another roster spot to make up for him being gone for the season, a la Yao Ming, correct?

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We never got an extra roster spot for Yao Ming, only a salary exception, which is not applicable in this case (because we have cap room, need no exception).