1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lefty Shrugged

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Phil Mickelson contemplating "drastic changes" due to California tax hikes

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And then, Mr. Mickelson went right back to playing a fat, old, drunken man's game for meeeeelions of dollars!

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think California would manage to survive without Phil. That's should he actually decide to move.

4. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How many Phils will there be?

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If Mickelson is actually paying 62 or 63 percent, he should consider getting himself a tax attorney and a CPA. I could get him a lower rate and I am neither.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seriously- good to know sometimes you can judge a book by its cover. Behind that imbecilic grin is an actual imbecile

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

So far not even one has moved out of the state.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story...ts-says-he-should-have-kept-it-private-012213

Golf
    Mickelson apologizes for tax talk

Phil Mickelson didn't wait for his normal pre-tournament press conference to address his comments about looming tax questions that he will face in his native California.

On Tuesday morning, he released this statement:

"I know I have my usual pre-tournament press conference scheduled this week, but I felt I needed to address the comments I made following the Humana Challenge now.

"I absolutely love what I do. I love and appreciate the game of golf and the people who surround it. I’m as motivated as I’ve ever been to work on my game, to compete and to win championships.

"Right now, I’m like many Americans who are trying to understand the new tax laws. I’ve been learning a lot over the last few months and talking with people who are trying to help me make intelligent and informed decisions. I certainly don’t have a definitive plan at this time, but like everyone else I want to make decisions that are best for my future and my family.
    "Finances and taxes are a personal matter, and I should not have made my opinions on them public. I apologize to those I have upset or insulted and assure you I intend to not let it happen again."

Mickelson is scheduled to meet with the media on Wednesday at Torrey Pines, a day before he begins the Farmers Insurance Open about 10 miles south of his home in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.

The response to Mickelson's opinions on taxes ranged from mocking a guy who has become a multi-millionaire by playing golf for a living to support for having such a high tax rate and not being afraid to speak his mind. A majority of PGA Tour players live in Florida and others in Texas, two states that have no state income tax.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry even weighed in with this tweet: ''Hey Phil....Texas is home to liberty and low taxes...we would love to have you as well!!''

Mickelson has earned just under $70 million in PGA Tour earnings for his career, which doesn't include corporate endorsements or his golf course design company, which is thriving in China. Forbes magazine reported Mickelson earned more than $40 million in endorsements last year, trailing only Tiger Woods among golfers.

Mickelson was raised in San Diego and, after playing golf at Arizona State, settled in the Phoenix area when he started his career before moving back home to San Diego County.

In November, California voters approved Proposition 30, the first statewide tax increase since 2004.

''If you add up all the federal and you look at the disability and the unemployment and the Social Security and the state, my tax rate is 62, 63 percent,'' Mickelson had said. ''So I've got to make some decisions on what I'm going to do.''

He said taxes ''absolutely'' were a factor in his decision not to become part of the San Diego Padres' new ownership group.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

No different than the exodus of the wealthy when Britain raised taxes on the wealthy to 50%. I can't blame them, it is there money and their right. It won't be all of them, but it will have an impact.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The fact he said it at all doesn't matter, so the fact that he apologized for it also doesn't matter. It matters very little indeed. It's not really of any consequence unless one is interested in how bad and pitiful Phil's accountant is.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I, for one, will light a candle in support of Phil Mickleson's struggles. May none of us ever have to earn a living playing golf and getting paid millions of dollars in prize money and endorsements to do so.

+

:(

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nobody is asking for your pity......

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is so anti-American and unpatriotic to be a libertarian. They have no allegiance to any country-- just their peculiar theology/philosopht of the market and selfishness.

It is indeed strange to see this philosophy become somewhat mainstream in the Republican Party which often wraps themselves in the flag.

15. Svpernaut

Indeed. He has his right to his opinion just like everyone else... and California's financial troubles help give his argument legs to stand on.

16. SamFisher

Good timing!

California budget balanced

17. Svpernaut

Knowing that state, it will take a miracle. But I wish them well.

18. SamFisher

You know that state? Please regale us with tales of your very special knowledge

1 person likes this.
  19. Svpernaut

I have family and friends there... and I've spent tons of time there. In fact, I have one friend in real estate who is from San Diego and owns a house there, but he makes his home and business here simply because of the ridiculousness of real estate, taxes and laws there.

Either way that doesn't stop me from having an understanding of their recent financial woes, it's not exactly hidden information. For many years California has been an instruction manual of how not to run a state government.

20. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the way it should be. let the wilderness be wild