1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron slams Phil Jackson for using the word "posse"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Houstunna, Nov 15, 2016.

1. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I think this is less about the racial undertones and more about the disrespect Phil is showing Lebron's people. Lebron seems to feel like his friends are competent workers who deserve everything they are now receiving. Phil is making it seem like they are freeloaders. That's probably what really got Lebron going, which I can understand.

I can see the argument where saying "posse" implies a racist undertone but I think it's pretty weak and flaky.

Pen15clubber and Houstunna like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

White people have entourages.
    Black people have posses.

Entourages are gay
    My posse's on broadway

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

For real.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

In his book, he refers to LeBron's posse as the guys who fetch his cars and girls for him, and that he has grown dependent on them, and that LeBron can't possibly develop into a mature, self sufficient human being. That is pretty much a direct quote. That was the first time he attacked LeBron and his corporate business partners. And now he's coming at them again. That's the Phil Jackson version of a posse. Make of it what u will. But I didn't like it then. And I don't like it now. Agree with LeBron and Jalen and others to air it out and hold him accountable.

#24 PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

From what I understand, most NBA superstars do have some sort of entourage or posse around them so I don't really see any racial undertones about this. Lebron may call him his partners, associates etc. but the reality is the only reason the 4 horsemen exist is because Lebron became a very successful NBA player. IIRC one of the reasons Lebron chafed under the heat was because Pat Riley didn't give in to a lot of his off-court demands including giving some of his homies jobs within the organization, so for Lebron to act all offended and stuff right now is pretty weaksauce IMHO.

If his partners established their business without capitalizing on Lebron's brand then yeah, maybe Lebron can say why are you undermining my partners' success they did it on their own etc. etc. But that's not how things happened, would the Cavs give Tristan Thompson his max contract if he wasn't signed to Lebron's sports agency? There were even rumors other players in the Cavs are getting subtle pressure to switch to Lebron's "family" so w/e.

BTW Lebron is married and with children so honestly if I were LBJ I would be more upset at Jackson saying I have people getting girls for me. Not only might allegations like that cause trouble for me in terms of sponsorships (Nike, Sprite, etc. don't advocate unfaithful people), it can also hurt my children and my wife might think it's time to file a divorce and get half of my bajillion dollars. Those would be way more damaging than any perceived or real slight against Lebron being African-American. Also, let's be real here millionaires, celebrities etc. live a very different life than normal people. Lebron is one of the most influential and powerful people in society how's one person's racism going to affect him? Lebron can hire 1000 lawyers and sue Phil Jackson for the next 300 years if he wants to.

oakdogg likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

inconceivable. you are by default already in the best posse in existence: 99 cent posse

pay no heed to our lowly wannabe groups

heypartner likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for giving the word posse a racial connotation Lebron! That's forever! No one even thought twice about it when Jackson tried to use it in a derogatory way.

Pen15clubber and Jontro like this.
  8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's too cliche' to even associate with racial undertones. I've heard it so many times in other movies where a group of white guys, mixed group people, asian comedies.. where they refer as their group as a 'Posse' I know Lebron James is still young but he'll regret his ignorance of this...

Rokman likes this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Every major celebrity has Posses that leech off the main guy, whether you are Justin Bieber or Floyd Mayweather.

isn't that what Entourage was all about. Lebron might not like his friends being called leeches, but pulling the race card is plain ignorant

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

hah these old dudes and their racist terminology!!! everybody knows the correct terms are squad or clique

krnxsnoopy and Jontro like this.
  11. heypartner

It's called the 99er Clique, not posse. Now, I'm offended.

Jontro likes this.
  12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Don't really get it. Friends coming up because of your own success isn't even a bad thing, if they prove they are capable of pulling their own.

Maybe Phil was saying they are bums waiting for a free hand out, and then Lebron took that to mean black people are bums, instead of just his friends.

Idk. I have a hard time believing Phil Jackson to be racist, being the acid dropping zen coach that he is. Spiritual energy and that jazz.

Emtenndo likes this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I do see the negative connotation but when I think of posse I think of a crew of people that follow around and chill with celebrities.

14. ryl

ryl Member

Disrespectful? Maybe. Racist? No. Posse, crony, crew, etc... all the same. No racial undertones. If Lebron had to study for the SAT's, he would know that.

krnxsnoopy and Pen15clubber like this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

16. Rokman

Rokman Member

He needs to pick up a dictionary before speaking. His calling the word 'posse' racist is so ignorant. He doesn't even know what it means.

17. bigben69

bigben69 Member

It is obviously racist from the meaning....

Definitions of Posse
    "a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law."
    "a group of people who have a common characteristic, occupation, or purpose."
    "a group of people who socialize together"

It came from Latin and spelled the same meaning "body of men, power," in the mid 17th century.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Phil Jackson about to make LeBron a father of five.

19. heypartner

Notice Clutch has a Clutch Crew and not a Clutch Posse

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This is the type of **** that makes me hate lebitch. I want to like him for going back home and trying to win a title for the city. I rooted for him in the Finals. I celebrated and was happy for him after the finals(maybe I hated the gs that much though). Then he goes and opens up his damn mouth. Shut the fuq up man..... Nobody cares what you think, just put le ball in le hoop.