1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron need Rockets. Rockets need LeBron. Please pick one option!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballscientist1, Jan 24, 2018.

?

Assume that Rockets have 44 million to spend in summer? Which option do you pick?

1. LeBron 36 million and Wade 8 million. Let Capela, Ariza, Luc Moute walk for nothing.

45.1%
  2. Pay Capela 23 million, Ariza 10 million, LMM 10 million. Don't want LeBron and his no-trade clause.

54.9%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

Lebron doesn't need the Rockets. He can go sign somewhere like Chicago with no bad contracts and huge capspace, form another superstar team with PG13 and trading for another superstar with the Chicago high pick and be the GM, coach and agent of the roster.

2. beardsanity713

IMO Some may say i'm crazy but honestly I don't want LBJ in Houston...

I'd like our team to win a ring w/o Lebron's services jumping on our bandwagon bc his team is falling apart and he has a lot to with it bc of his indecisiveness ... No thank you!

The Cavs roster thats assembled is all Lebron's doing he made his mess in Cleveland don't bring that shid to Houston

I'd take PG instead

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Pick a situation where the Rockets will Fail and the Warriors will remain dominant . . . PLEASE!!!!" - Ball Cancer Scientist

Rocket River

4. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

You guys seriously wouldn't trade Capela, Ariza and booty for the GOAT? Do you guys watch basketball? Did we give up too much for CP3?

RasaqBoi and Rocket River like this.
  5. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

LeBron and Chris and ariza will take whatever discount is needed so capela can sign back here and i think capela love this team so much he may take a less offer who knows but as long as we keep Gordon ariza and luc we are ok just all depends on what the rockets plan is next year cause melo will be in play also

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, once upon a time that was true, but it's not anymore. As such, Lebron will need a lot of help if he wants to catch Jordan in the ring chase. He can't just go to any team and hope to beat the Warriors or the Rockets. If the only way Lebron would agree to come here would cost the team Capela, I think they'd tell him to kick rocks and go after someone else. You don't tear down what you have just to add an over the hill superstar.....I would think the Barkley trade would have taught Rockets fans that lesson.

s3ts likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LeBron won't Cost us Capela.
    If it did . .. I would just have to take that loss
    This is not Barkley for Horry AND Cassell
    This is LEBRON for Capela

LeBron still good for 3~4 CHAMPIONSHIP RUNS

If cleveland insists on Capela. . . . Well it would be a striaght 1 for 1 trade (Sign And Trade)
    (because Capela is getting MAX MONTIES!!!)

Rocket River

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Since there's a way to keep Capela and get Lebron, I think that would be how it would happen. If Lebron is demanding the max, the Rockets will lose a lot more than just Capela, and if winning is Lebron's goal, why would he want to hamper that just to make a bit more money? My point was that it wouldn't make sense and if he just wants to maximize the money he can make rather than putting himself in a position to win then he's not a player I'd want. A players motivation matters IMO.

#50 Bobbythegreat, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    s3ts likes this.
  11. mightybosstone

OP's math doesn't make sense. Where is this $44 million figure coming from? The Rockets have about $80ish million in salary locked in for next next season, but that's before cap holds, and Paul's cap hold alone makes it essentially impossible to sign Lebron for the $36 million figure OP mentions. To get to $44 million (or even $36 million for that matter), they would have to renounce the cap holds on their free agents (including Paul, Ariza and Capela) AND still get rid of Ryno or Gordon plus Tucker.

If they don't renounce the cap holds or even just the cap holds on key guys, then it's basically impossible to get to that figure. They have a whopping $67 million in cap holds, and about $60 million of it comes from Paul, Ariza and Capela. And the key here that fans forget (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but once they renounce the cap holds, they can no longer sign players using their Bird rights. So they're free to renounce those cap holds, but you can kiss Paul, Capela and Ariza goodbye.

Basically, the only way to keep Harden and Paul and add Lebron would be through a sign and trade deal. Either that or Lebron would have to take a truly massive discount to play in Houston or Paul and the rest of the free agents would have to take massive discounts, and they'd still have to make room for a Lebron deal that would likely still be a massive pay cut.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Doesn't matter how much Lebron makes (in an opt in and trade scenario) , the Rockets can resign Ariza above the cap due to bird rights (and give him a raise) , they can do the same with Capela above the cap having right of first refusal & matching rights and they would have the taxpayer MLE to throw at Luc , again above the cap.

All of that works assuming there is no "sign and trade" and the BAE isn't used as BOTH of those invoke the hard cap. Avoid triggering the hard cap and .... you can keep your core and bring in Lebron ...

OP along with most commenting in this thread have absolutely no understanding of the cap. They just see a hard number and freak out.
    The Rockets likely wont have ANY cap space this offseason , they will start Above the cap - forget the OP's you have $Xm scenario.

mightybosstone likes this.
  13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Rasheed Wallace and Kevin Garnett point out one of the most important things in NBA basketball... CHEMISTRY!!! Teams that have it are more likely to win and I like the chemistry of this team. We have a solid 9 to 10 man rotation if he plays G. Green. The relationships are strong and the team gets along well. Clint is young and takes a lot of abuse from the veterans, which is good.

I don't like adding Lebron because he will take the ball out of Chris's and James's hand in crunch time and James likes being the man on the Houston Rockets.

Jayzers_100 and Stormy1234 like this.
  14. ballscientist1

Rockets have cap space after renouncing the rights for Capela, Ariza and LMM and unload Dr. Black and Ryan's contract.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

10 seconds on the clock
    Rockets down One

LeBron has the ball at the Half Court line.
    Hardon is at the 3 pt line are the right elbow
    CP3 is at the 3 pt line at the left elbow
    Ariza is on one corner
    EGo is in the other corner

Now . .. . . . . .. . . . If you are the defense. . . what do you do . . .. WHAT DO YOU DO!?!?!??!?!

Rocket River

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Capela will get the max easily

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

nope. hell be lucky to probably hit 20 mil if even that

18. mightybosstone

Not really. The Rockets have $77.4 million in guaranteed contracts locked in for next season (not including Qi or Williams non-guaranteed contracts). Even if they renounce the cap holds on every player but Paul, his cap hold alone is like $39.1 million. That's $116.5 million right there. If they could find takers for Ryno's contract (not sure why you're including Black, as he's listed as an UFA after this season), they'd be sitting at about $96.1 million, which is about $3 million under this year's cap.

Suppose we're generous and say the cap goes up to $105 million next year. If Paul re-signs at a discount of somewhere around $25 million a year, that still puts the Rockets at about $82 million of salary. Is Lebron going to come here for $23 million a year? I kinda doubt it. And you've lost out on Ariza, Capela and possibly Luc in the process. They could look to shave more salary by moving Gordon or Tucker. That could feasibly get them to a point where they could add Lebron. But then you're looking at a team that's essentially Harden, Lebron, Paul, Nene and guys playing for the veteran minimum.

19. ballscientist1

Renounce the rights for Chris Paul also. My bad, the current CBA is prohibited to sign LeBron first, then sign Paul.

20. mightybosstone

But how do you sign both Paul and Lebron and still stay under the cap? They'd have to basically cut everyone on the team making a substantial salary other than Harden. You could maybe keep Nene and Tucker, but they might have to go too in order to make room for Paul and Lebron. And as good as that trio might be, I seriously doubt a team of Harden, Paul, Lebron and veteran minimum guys is enough to beat the Warriors.