1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James or Yao Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aka ace, Aug 15, 2002.

1. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Lets say "IF" LeBron James was a HS Senior this year (instead of being a Junior) and was eligible to enter the Nba '02 draft. Would the Rockets have picked him instead of Yao? And with the 15 pick up a Center: Curtis Borchardt. Both Yao and James are unproven and will take awhile to develop, but I hear James is the next coming of Kobe Bryant. At 6'7 (He still may grow a couple more inches) he can play Small Forward, he is versatile, and very athletic.

Team of the Future
    PG- Steve Francis
    SG- Cuttino Mobley
    SF- LeBron James
    PF- Eddie Griffin
    C- Curtis Borchardt

What do you guys think would you rather have James or Yao?

2. Stylez

Stylez Member

James over Ming would have been a no brainer. He's 6-7 can handle the ball, slash and shoot. SF was our weakest position last yr. no matter how much anyone wants to hate on Cato. Half the starting C's avg. under 10ppg but there is a very limited number (1,2) of starting SF's in the L that avg. under 10ppg. James would sure that up for the next decade or so. Not to mention that he's already NBA ready and we woulnd't have any govt. interference or international ball obligations to worry about, it would just be easier. We don't even need Curtis B w/ the 15th pick as long as we have Cato & EG back there. We could have even looked at Keon Clark to fill the C spot during the off season w/ the MCE.

PG Francis/ Moochie
    SG Mobley/ Torres
    SF James/ Rice
    PF EG/ Mo T
    C Clark/ Cato

Very nice IMO.

#2 Stylez, Aug 15, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Usually, when you have these hot shot high school prospects, they have some glaring weaknesses that scouts are quick to point out.

I'm not saying LeBron is the second coming of Jordan, but I have not read a SINGLE negative thing about him anywhere concerning his basketball skills. Almost every scouting report on him mentions a combination of Jordan AND Magic Johnson. This kid might be the real deal...

I've read one article that says he might have an ego problem, but that should go away with experience

To answer the original question, James over Ming 10 times out of 10.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I really like getting Ming this year, but I'd have to go with James if he was a senior. Unless they had more on him, like A-Train said, where Ming would be better, James would pretty much be a no-brainer,imo. Can't he also play SG?

I guess LeBron it is.

5. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

I'd go with lebron. Although, he wouldn't make an immediate impact, he'd win the rockets a couple of rings or any team for that matter.

6. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

I'll go against the norm and stay with Ming. He might not be much now but with a few lbs and experience he has the ability to be unstoppable as is Shaq. Personally I think there should be a rule about coming out of high school......Have you listened to some of those post game interviews last year? These kids are so damn stupid nowadays. Anyhoe that's my 2 cents!:cool:

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

What if we knew for sure that Yao and James were going to be the best in the league at their positions in a few seasons. Then who would you want? I think I would take Yao because it's been proven that a dominant center will take a team farther than a dominant small forward.

8. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Yeah my thoughts exactly lafadeaway!:D

9. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I think Houston should stage all their games this year so that they lose them all...then pick up James in next years draft and have the championship team for years to come.

10. RC Cola

I don't think we have a 1st round pick this year. We have to trade it to complete the SF trade.

I think the only way for it to work is to get an additional pick, and send that. Also remember the worst team doesn't always get the pick. Especially after this past dradt. :D

11. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

I think It is impossible for a team to win a first round pick 2 years in a row. :confused:

12. RC Cola

I think some team did. I want to say th Knicks or Lakers. I can't remember. But this was before the lottery style. I think they used letters in a hat then. Someone want to help me here? I'm not very sure of this.

We could also trade for the No. 1, but we'd have to trade a lot for LeBron.

edit: Dang! 6 teams have had back-to-back number 1's. Orlando was the most recent, with Shaq and Webber. Houston also did it, which I don't know how I forgot. I think NY had it too.

#12 RC Cola, Aug 15, 2002
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2002
  13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

A sure thing coming out of high school is a *lot* different than a sure thing coming out of college. How do you know he isn't just an early bloomer? How do you know he will continue to improve? What do you know about his character?

Kobe claimed that he *made* 500 shots per day last summer...and exaggeration or not, it showed in clutch time this year. Will James have that kind of drive and dedication?

I'll take Ming...but ask me again at the end of this year =)

14. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

The question I ask is how many HS. Greats amounted to only a supporting role in the NBA. They never just are quite able to lift themselves onto the star level. Then there is the likes of KB. and KG. that made it but neither had the hype or statements of the second comming like LeBJ.You never know, alot depends how they are nurtured in the early years because becoming mature is a most important adjustment in reaching manhood and stardom.Some Coaches do not have a nurturing mentality and could spell disaster for LeBJ.( Eg:- Brown in Washington) I go with Ming! Rockets traditionaly have been better teams with a dominent big man ( heres hoping for our future with Yao).

15. mrbasketball

mrbasketball Member

MING!!!!!

There are plenty of talented SFs and only 1 7"5 guy who is quick with skills...

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Anyone remember Felipe Lopez? He was as hyped as Lebron James when he was in high school. SG or SF who can potentially be great can be found in draft every year. May not be true for the center position.

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

I like your signature RocketForever, Bruce Lee was THE Man.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Your senario is about the same as asking whether the Rockets should have taken MJ over Hakeem in the draft. Looking back, many people probably would pick MJ. But who knows? If they'd swapped place, Hakeem might have won 6 rings in Chicago while MJ in Houston had to wait for Hakeem's retirement.

I agree with you, a great center is better than a great guard or SF.

19. INrocket

INrocket Member

The chance that ming is a bust is 10 times more likely than the chance lebron becomes one. People are saying that kobe wasn't even half as good as lebron is. Nobody in the history of this sport has been more hyped coming out of high school than james, si and slam both did a cover story on this high school junior.

20. mrbasketball

mrbasketball Member

How do you figure??? Ming has played in the Olympics as well as other European PRO tournaments against some of the best in the world. On the other hand, Lebron is busy dunking on 6"0 centers in high school... :confused: