1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James' high school career is over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Jan 31, 2003.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

His signature is worth over a hundred dollars.... It's just a stupid rule given the circumstances. But rules are rules. So he'll have to abide by them.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0203/1503500.html

LeBron James will apparently be speaking on television before he appears in front of an appeals panel.

Deion Sanders filmed an exclusive interview for CBS' "The Early Show'' with James, who has not yet addressed his ineligibility and had refused interviews for weeks.

In the interview, which will air Tuesday morning, James said he didn't know he was violating any rules.

"You know, if I had known I was violating anything, I would've never done it. I would've never jeopardized my eligibility. I would've never jeopardized my team," James told Sanders. "When I went in [the clothing store], you know, I was just going in there as being, you know, another player and they was trying to reward me for my good grades."

James also showed remorse after being ruled ineligible by state high school officials for accepting two free "throwback'' jerseys from a trendy clothing store in Cleveland.

"Yes, I'm sorry," James said in the CBS interview. "There's nothing I'm more sorry about, you know, than disrespecting my teammates. ... I love them to death. ... I'm so proud of them, you know, to be able to stick it out for me."

As Sanders took James into the stands to chat, LeBron's mother, Gloria James, screamed at photographers trying to get a picture of the two high-profile athletes.

Sanders also turned down interview requests, speaking only to a Washington Post reporter he knows.

"I was curious to see what kind of guy he was,'' Sanders said of James.

Sanders is puzzled by the rule that has sidelined James for now.

"I never heard of a rule like that,'' Prime Time told the newspaper. "If we really did our homework, I don't think we would have anyone eligible.''

Meanwhile, the Ohio High School Athletic Association issued a statement Monday saying they didn't have an appeal from James.

A spokesperson said the OHSAA had no reason to move up its next meeting that would handle appeals on Feb. 13 until there is an appeal that needs to be reviewed in an emergency session.

The spokesperson said they would next comment on James if an appeal had been filed. OHSAA commissioner Clair Muscaro also issued a statement saying there were too many media requests for him to answer, and that's why he will only have a statement when there is an appeal, if one comes at all.

James' attorney, Fred Nance, did not file for a temporary restraining order Monday that would allow James to resume playing in Summitt County, Ohio.

James missed the first game of his celebrated career on Sunday. And without James, who is expected to be the top selection in this year's NBA draft, Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary survived its closest game this season, edging Canton McKinley 63-62.

James didn't come on the school's team bus to sold out Rhodes Arena at the University of Akron, arriving about an hour before tipoff flanked by campus police and some of his own security personnel.

Wearing a cap pulled down over his eyes, and a black T-shirt under a St. Vincent-St. Mary gold suit, James laughed while shooting a few jumpers as his Fighting Irish teammates warmed up.

Many in the crowd of 5,900 showed their support for the 18-year-old James with signs. One read: "Let LeBron Play Please.'' Another said: "Hey Clair Be Fair'', a reference to Muscaro.

A group of St. Vincent-St. Mary students wore "We Love LeBron'' T-shirts, and shortly before the game started, James posed for pictures with Canton McKinley's cheerleaders.

James took a seat in the middle of his team's bench, and when he wasn't cheering for his teammates, he sat nervously chewing his nails during the tight game.

When St. Vincent-St. Mary opened an eight-point lead in the final minute, Canton McKinley called timeout. James then walked away from his team's huddle and clapped along with the crowd as the band played the school's fight song.

Muscaro ruled on Friday that in taking the jerseys, James broke bylaw 4-10-1 (c) which states "an amateur forfeits his or her amateur status by capitalizing on athletic fame by receiving money or gifts of monetary value.''

Before the game, coach Dru Joyce said James returned the jerseys to "Next Urban Gear and Music'' on Friday and was on his way back to Akron when Muscaro handed down his decision.

Joyce insisted that James didn't go to the store looking for a handout, and had no idea he was going to get the jerseys for free from the store's owner, Robert Rosenthal.

"'Bron walked in and he said, 'Let me know what you want','' Joyce said. "He's an 18-year-old kid. What's he supposed to do.''

At the time, James was unaware of the consequences of accepting the free gifts, Joyce said.

"He didn't think it was a big deal, so he said, 'I'm going to take the jerseys back.' He wanted to do the right thing. I applaud him for that.''

Joyce also contested Muscaro's claim that he had tried to speak with James and was turned down.

"The school's officials never told LeBron that Clair called,'' Joyce said. "LeBron never had the chance to talk to him.''

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is my favorite part:

"You know, if I had known I was violating anything, I would've never done it. I would've never jeopardized my eligibility. I would've never jeopardized my team," James told Sanders. "When I went in [the clothing store], you know, I was just going in there as being, you know, another player and they was trying to reward me for my good grades."

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Many have already said it before, but this is probably the best move for LeBron's NBA career. The way the hype was going, the only way to go for him was down.

Everyone was making money off LeBron except LeBron himself, even the idiots at OHSAA could've made money off the ticket sales and media coverage. Either they have some issues to hide or that Michigan scandal is really making them tighten up on the rules.

I wish campaign finance was as strict as OHSAA. :p

5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I cannot believe that the most sought after High School Player in the country, the kid who is going to be the #1 Draft Pick did not realize that accepting gifts is against the rules. I also find it comical that he thought the store owner was giving him the jerseys because of his "grades". If I would have known thats how it worked I would have done the same thing in high school and college. You think I could have cashed in on some "freebies" if I would have taken my report card down to the local Foot Locker :rolleyes:

6. bobrek

Surely you can't be serious? Lebron lives in a single parent home with a mother who doesn't have a job. He has a hummer, a closet full of "throwback" jerseys, expensive sneakers and name brand clothes. He has a huge diamond stud in his ear. He has at least 2 cell phones.

It appears to me that Lebron is doing pretty good for himself financially.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

so bobrek, what exactly are Lebron's grades since you seem to find that statement so funny?

Maybe every High School athlete that lives in River Oaks should be investigated and then kicked off of their team once they find that they have received a gift at some point in their lives.

At least Lebron is driving a Hummer based on his own value and not his parents.

8. bobrek

I find it funny for anyone to say "...they WAS trying to reward me for my good grades".

Apparently Lebron has a 3.5 GPA. If the store rewards him for his good grades, then I would hope that every student in the school with a 3.5 GPA or higher would get over $800 in merchandise.

I also believe that Lebron was being very naive if he truly felt that he was given those jerseys because of his grades. I would also feel that way about any prominent high school athlete.

I also think that any athlete should be dealt with according to the rules of whatever state association they belong to regardless of who they are or where they live.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Yao was lucky because the media expectations were low and he failed miserably to open up the season. So he was able to build up to the hype. The Media has been good to him so far. Tho' there will be a time when they try to tear him apart. Probably when Shaq retires.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How about a witch hunt for the non-prominent high school athlete as well. Don't just pick on a kid because he is good.

I find it funny that no one investigates the rich kid that plays on the basketball team to see what one of his uncles or family friends gives him just for making a one time winning basket or game saving tackle.

Of course that never happens :rolleyes:

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The way I understood the grades thing was that the owner appreciated that even though James is this basketball star who will soon be going to the NBA and lives in a culture where athletes are routinely given special treatment despite poor grades because they are good at ball (and have to put in so much time on the basketball court), he still was putting the work in to getting his diploma legitimately.

Of course, according to the article, James posed for some photos for the owner to hang on his walls. So, he obviously did capitalize on his fame.

I just think the whole rule about him not being able to profit is ridiculous. A player of his caliber can't play in the NBA because he's too young, but can't be paid in college or high school. He's essentially forced into a system of exploitation. Maybe someone should start a league that will pay teenage athletes to compete. Then, the kids can attend local high schools but play for a professional league instead of their own school. You'd have plenty of raw talent to draw customers with. And the league would give the kids the training and game tape they need to enter the NBA later.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

It may come to that one day. Imagine if the highschool kids formed their own league for pay. Same teams. Same players. But now they are getting paid. All they would need to do is organize. The only thing they would need is some entitywilling to pay them, provide food, and provide travel. That would not be super hard to find as schools find ways to pay for these programs right now. Sponsorship would be huge.

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If the college kids don't get paid and aren't able to unionize why would you think HS kids could?
    Plus no one would sponsor a league of under 18 year old players. Keep in mind you can not enforce a contract on a minor, so no one would risk money on a group of kids (many of whom are under 18). So sponsorships would be near impossible to find.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Ask Nike, Coke, and McDonald's what they would pay. It's not out of the realm of the impossible.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

possible.

If there is money to be made people will find a way to make it. That's why.

16. bobrek

Every single high schooler that played in that league would forfeit their NCAA amateur status as the rules are currently in place, thus forgoing any shot at a college scholarship.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

OK, I've given my new league some thought. First off, kids can't travel much, so I'd put the whole league in the city of Boston. If it ever got to a critical mass, the league could attract players to move from all over the country to Boston to play. Boston is good because they have plenty of high schools and colleges for kids to attend while they work. Plus, it's a nice town and has a good basketball tradition.

You'd let both high schoolers and college kids play. You probably couldn't keep older folks out either (age discrimination or something) so allow them in if they want in. Once the players lose their NCAA eligibility in high school, they'll have to stay in the league until and unless the NBA or NBDL is willing to take them. The stupid amateur policy will actually give the kids' league some stability.

It was pointed out that minors can't be held to contracts; plus they generally can't be trusted. They might get grounded or drafted or who-knows-what. But, they can be paid on a per-game basis. If they show up, they're paid; if not, they won't. We're not talking millions of dollars (yet) but good enough money to make it silly for them to work for Pizza Hut.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I think the evidence for this already exists. The kids that can run to money usually leave college early. How many seniors entered the draft this year? You could count them on one hand. They essentially drop their elligibility and play. They want the money. Why is it impossible to think that high school kids will not be doing the same thing. The money will be there. If you pay them they will follow the money. Elligibility doesn't mean much now.