1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James' high school career is over

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Oski2005, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Well now they claim he was "set up".

Man they got to be realllllyyy stupid.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(*yawn*) Now he can get on with the business of being an underachieving NBA disappointment. Not a bust, but not a megastar.

3. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I disagree Major the guidelines aren't as clear as you think. The guidelines don't prevent you from taking gifts, just not gifts that are over $100. This isn't as clear as people think and I think it's a joke that he gets ambushed on something like this. At least give the kid a chance to give the clothes back and suspend him for a game or two. That's the problem I have people say "violate the rules, you're out no questions asked", well if that's the case maybe they should give back every dime they made off of the kid no questions asked. They may have guidelines, but they sure profited off of those guidelines. I'm not saying make special treatments for him, but I think it's hypocritical for them to make the money off of him and then dump him.

4. skymaster187

skymaster187 Member

Yeah what a tragedy, now he can go sign his 20Million contract with a shoe company, man I feel so bad for the guy.
    Looks like his mom can go repay the loan back early...again what a shame.....

Looks like Lebron will have to go house hunting early...Tisk tisk...

:rolleyes:

He knew the rules he broke them, he bragged about his 3.5 grade average well he should have used it.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

He should have known better but I dont agree with the decison. Everybody can make money of Lebron but lebron (espn PPV more expensive tickets) but the kid is suposed to watch people make money off him while he gets nothing? It's not right but still he should have known better b/c he really screwed his team.

6. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why would he not be allowed to just return the merchandise? Did he already wash it?!?

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm glad the whole farce is over

Rocket River

8. Major

Major Member

well if that's the case maybe they should give back every dime they made off of the kid no questions asked. They may have guidelines, but they sure profited off of those guidelines.

Why? That's not against the guidelines. Here's the deal:

He's an amateur athlete. He gets to play high school basketball. He gets free publicity and national attentibon which allows him to get recruited to a full scholarship to college or the NBA. In exchange, the school makes money for providing that service. If he doesn't like the deal, he doesn't have to play high school basketball. He knows how it works from day #1.

It's his job to know the rules. If he didn't, he's a dumbass or he's getting really bad advice. To think that he didn't know someone can't just go and give him $800 is ridiculous.

Why would he not be allowed to just return the merchandise? Did he already wash it?!?

Yeah, this would set a good standard. You can accept gifts without penalty. If you don't get caught, good for you. If you do, just return them. That will discourage people from accepting gifts. :rolleyes:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

But what if he didn't know the rules? I wouldn't have thought twice by getting free jerseys my senior year (not like any one was offering to me or anything). The difference was that I was at a public school where recruiting wasn't a problem, but I don't understand why this is even against the rules. What could the detriment be during his senior year?

#29 Rocketman95, Jan 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  10. Major

Major Member

But what if he didn't know the rules? I wouldn't have thought twice by getting free jerseys my senior year (not like any one was offering to me or anything). The difference was that I was at a public school where recruiting wasn't a problem, but I don't understand why this is even against the rules. What could the detriment be during his senior year?

If he didn't know the rules, I would think that's his problem. For someone with his notoriety, I would think someone would have gone over what's acceptable or not. Especially after the Hummer incident and all the discussion of the various gift rules. The investigation there was whether any gift rules were broken - even though he was cleared, you'd think he'd have found out what rules they were referring to.

As far as the detriment, if you allow people to accept gifts, then college boosters are going to go around giving high school kids gifts to get them to go to a particular college. I would assume that's the reason it's not allowed. Other reasons would be that it does affect the high-school recruiting. If people started giving gifts to all the seniors at St. Vincent's, then people are going to go there knowing they'll eventually get "gifts" (ie, get paid for playing for St. Vincent's). It hopes up a huge can of worms.

#30 Major, Jan 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2003
  11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Damn, and i was just talking to some people about him coming near my town to play a private school around here. People that were going to that game are going to be pissed.

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ummm, if there is a story in the Cleveland Plain Dealer about it then I think the OHSAA should investigate it.

Lebron will be a great player, but he let his teammates down. To Lebron this is a bump in the road to his teammates it blew an opportunity for anotehr state championship.

13. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Do you no think he understood the rules after teh 1st investigation last week. I'm sure somone explained the rules to him several times.

He screwed up.

14. mduke

mduke Member

Or a rapper.;)

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So what, now he is free to sign that 20 million dollar Nike contract.

Cry me a river.

:rolleyes:

DD

16. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

DD -
    Just a thought...If the people (hangers-on) around the guy keep giving him the same good advice he's been getting (sure, you can have that hummer, kid...care for some over-priced expensive jerseys, too?), he may windup closer to Leon Smith than Michael Jordan.

My additional 2 cents...Instead of a $50,000+ SUV, why in the hell aren't these people seeking financial and legal counsel...surely there's enough lawyers in NE Ohio who would do this gratis until the ship comes in. C'mon...if you know that OHSAA has rules and you can't figure them out and you're going to be worth millions within a year...

#36 GATER, Feb 1, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2003
  17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I highly doubt someone told him, "Listen LeBron, make sure you dont accept gifts that are valued at more that $100."

18. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Rez everyone onows amateurs shouldn't accept gifts or prizes to keep their amateur status. If he knew there was a potential problem with his mom buying him an SUV, did he really think it was ok to take $800 worth of clothes?
    Do you not think he saw the story about Peter Warrick and the clothes fiasco a few years ago (you remember the 95% off purchase).

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Again, there was no potential problem with his mom buying him an SUV. The only reason it got any coverage was because he is LeBron James. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with that situation.

Also, if he didnt know that there was a $100 limit, then how could you blame him? I dont know if he knew this fact or not, so Im not going to judge him until I know for sure. You dont know if someone told him the rules or not, so dont assume.

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

There is a problem with the SUV that noone touches. How many people in this country who aere receiving govenrment asistance and live in subsidized housing could get approved for a $50,000 (actually witht he customization about a $75000) vehicle? None, simply put she was approved because of her sons athletic ability. So if they preessed on the hummer farhter they could have brought him down with that.

And yes I will guarantee you that Lebron's HS coach warned him of these things. If you don't think his coach (and probably the AD, and all of his friends in the NBA) hadn't warned him then I don't know what to say. I know in HS and college (and I played football for a very small D3 college) the coach or AD gave the talk about not betting and accepting gifts. So if that's assuming he knew then I guess I am assuming.

Anyways he knew what he did was wrong. The only people hurt in this situation will be his teammatess who counted on him. Good thing is they still have a good enough team to make a run for the Championship in Ohio, but will lose the #1 spot int he national polls.