1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron can't win it alone? Neither could MJ, Bird or Magic

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Octavianus, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

How is it r****ded? I doubt LeBron puts up number that will blow anything Wade does. This has been argued before, LeBron vs Wade. When Wade is healthy he is right at LeBron level. For the sake of argument, LeBron avgs two or three more points more than Wade, and maybe an assist or two. But Wade grabs more rebounds and steals. If Things go this way, and we all know LeBron isnt very clutch, how is the argument r****ded? Again, Wade ianst chopped beef, he's 1-B to LeBron.

It seems like LeBron fans seem to think all of a sudden Dwayne Wade is just some Lebron buddy who asked him to come.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes Jordan had Pippen. Pippen was drafted onto his team. Not signed in some elaborate offseason coup that was planned years in advanced and added two other superstars to his roster. BIG difference. Yes Shaq had Kobe. Kobe was drafted also. Magic was drafted onto the Lakers. Bird to Celtics drafted. Drexler traded to the Rockets. Not much correlation with any of these teams and the "trio".

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

wade's best season was 2 years ago and he was still behind lebron, and that wasn't even lebron's best season, which was last year. so no, at wade's best, he's CLOSE to lebron is a more appropriate term. but wade is turning 29, and also experienced some injuries last year and who's to say he won't get nicked again this year?

wade grabs more rebounds? stop lying.

lebron has been the better scorer (and more efficiently too i might add), rebounder, passer, defender... basically all across the board.

he has been MVP last 2 seasons by landslide margins.

no shame in being 2nd best to the most dominant player in the L. wade is still a top 3-4 player. lebron is just on another stratosphere.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To his credit, LeBron's "clutchness" is pretty high. In terms of point production, he was tops in the league.

82games.com clutch stats

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Lebron is definitely going to be the leader of the Heat team, so let's stop this talk. If not the vocal leader, then definitely the focal point.

The difference is that unlike Jordan, Lebron will be able to coast half the time as Wade AND Bosh are better offensive players than Pippen ever was, especially in terms of scoring. They can create for themselves better than Pippen ever could. Anyone trying to compare Jordan's role on the Bulls to what Lebron's will need to be on the Heat is kidding themselves. Lebron will have nowhere near the responsibility that was required of Jordan.

1 person likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Good point.

7. t_mac1

offensively, he definitely will not. defensively, i see him as being the most dominant defender on the heat now b/c his size will allow him to guard 4 positions (wade rarely guarded the best player last few years anyways and bron has). pippen usually guarded the other team's best perimeter defender.

expect lebron's "other" parts to shine even more besides his scoring. again, expect a triple double.

8. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

Im interested to see who takes the last shots in Miami now. He was expected to do that in CLE, I want to see if he repeats that in Miami.

I said for the sake of argument. So, Im not lying, its called being hypothetical.

The point is, Miami is Wades team. We're all Kobe fans if we're aginst LeBron now right, seeing as how any true Rocket fan, such as myself, will never root for anyone on that team.

We can argue till the cows come home, but I dont think Lebron is going to be the leader of that team. Wade has been there from the beginning, its his city, his team. Wade is still a superstar, he didnt move.

9. t_mac1

miami is wade's team b/c lebron hasn't officially played for miami yet.

we can all talk hypotheticals but when the season starts we'll see. all i know is lebron is a 2-time MVP, best player on the planet (has it changed), and has been a vocal leader his entire career.

10. ApuN

ApuN Member

Dude,

All your quotes pretty much reiterate what I said.

Jordan was a great role model.

Did I not say that?

I also said a teammate can make you better.

Did I not say that??

No one has ever argued that Jordan didn't make Pippen better

But none of your quotes specifically say that Michael made Pippen a Hall of Famer

Since you are so good at googling, I want you to find anywhere where a Hall of Famer was made by a teammate who "whipped him into shape"

I want you to find some Hall of Famer who specifically said if it wern't for my teammate "whipping me into shape", I would not be here.

And finally if you dont want to accept the above points, answer this question:

Why didn't Jordan make any of his other teammates Hall of Famers??? He certainly is the GOAT?? Riiiiight???

If you answer that question honestly, you will admit that Pippen took the initiative on his own, just like everybody else who is in the Hall.

This is the problem LeBron had. He definitely made his teammates better. You don't get the best record in the league 2 years in a row if you cant.

But the idea that there was some "Pippen" like player just waiting to be whipped into shape by LeBron is ridiculous.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with a free agent choosing to play wherever he wants. I don't have a problem with LeBron & Wade choosing to pair together, since I have seen at least 6 better pairings in my lifetime (Kareem/Magic, Moses/Doc, Jordan/Pippen, Hakeem/Drexler, Robinson/Duncan, Shaq/Kobe). And I surely don't have a problem with players deciding their own fate. If a team getting a BS trade or tanking/lucking into a #1 pick is fair game to acquire a player, then so is a dude deciding where to play when he is a free agent. That is the purpose of free agency, right?

And I'm a Rockets fan.

Magic never begged anyone, but I do believe he said he a part of his reasoning for leaving college early was to play with Kareem. Why beg for someone when you get drafted on the team with the league MVP? Jordan complained about his teammates all the time.

12. Icehouse

Then you should have a problem with free agency in general. NBA team building involves free agency. I respect that argument of not wanting the players to have so much control, even though I don't agree with it. I'm all about players deciding to do what they want. Why should guys be forced to waste the majority of their careers like Hakeem, Robinson and KG because management is incompetent? All teams don't have managers that can build them quality teams. The Cavs haven't gotten LeBron one legit 2nd star player in 7 seasons.

I call the KG trade BS because I don't believe that the trade happens if McHale wasn't the Sota GM, since we are talking about being against collusion.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You call that a good team? They are a 20 maybe 30 win team if you take out LeBron.

Lakers are like a 50 win team without Kobe.

Celtics are a 50 win team without Pierce.

Even Orlando could have the possibility of being a 50 win team without D. Howard.

There's a large difference.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Free Agency I'm fine with, but I do hope there are restrictions to prevent this from happening again. If this becomes the norm, it would make the NBA a much less interesting product to me. I don't think I will be alone in this.

Why? I'm seriously asking. I don't think I have the same interest in players well being as you do.

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Yes, there IS a problem with free agency. The problem is that players have little accountability to the fans of their team, since players (especially stars) can switch the cities in which they play. On the other hand, ownership can't easily change locations, and that gives them a strong incentive to make fans happy. I'm a fan of my team, and that's why Lebron pisses me off. If I were a LbOF, then I guess I wouldn't care. But I think the vast majority of fans root for their team. Why do you think people can't stand the YOF's here?

Just so we don't get off-topic: of course I'm not saying free agency should be abolished. But Lebron is clearly abusing the system here in a way bad for fans.

On another note, I think we should make "Lebron" a new verb. The usage goes like this:

"Hey you mind if my baby brother plays hoops with us? He can match up with your little brother."
    "Nah, let's Lebron it. Me and you can dunk all over those tiny little bit**es."

16. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

That's an issue: should individual players have accountability to the fans?

17. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

You are seeing what happens when they don't. The fans lose.

Honestly, I think this is David Stern's worst nightmare. It would not surprise me at all to see a dip in attendance and ratings leaguewide.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not if it fails miserably...

;)

DD

19. Mr. Space City

pretty sure stern loves this.

EVERYBODY is going to want to watch the heat.

this is going to be the yankees of the nba where when miami rolls to their town to play a game, EVERYBODY is going to come to watch this team.

20. Icehouse

If there aren't restrictions to prevent teams from tanking to get #1 picks (us twice in the 80's, the Spurs with Duncan) or from getting guys for pennies on the dollar then why should there be a restriction for free agents deciding where to go play? Even Stern says players talking about playing together in the future is not collusion.

How will the league be any less interesting now then it was in the 80's when you had 4 teams and no one else, or the 90's when you had the Bulls and no one else, or the 00's when you had the Lakers and Spurs, or the last 3 years when it's been all about LA and Boston? The last 30 years have been filled with "super squads". The only difference is these guys decided to make it happen on their own.

Are you asking me why I'm for a player getting to decide where they can play once they are a free agent? That's all this is. We were for Bosh deciding to play with us for whatever reasons. Why would I be against him using that same right to play somewhere else.

1 person likes this.