1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leaving a job for a straight money move

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcamm1, May 22, 2013.

1. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Hey guys was looking for advice from other clutchfans on previous experiences...

I currently love where I work, but have been offered a job that's about a 60% pay raise. The company is a lot bigger and has the prestige, but I really like where I'm at. This job switch would be mostly a straight money move, and there is no way my current employer can get close to matching.

Do you guys have any advice? Has anyone made a straight money move before and regretted it? I'm def. not slumming it right now, but could always use the extra money.

Any advice would be appreciated. Def going back and fourth on this!

2. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Being at a place you like is very important. But a 60% increase is significant. Even if your current employer can't match your new offer, can they at least meet you half way?

Also, one of my previous coworkers recently took another job for more money but he hates it and wishes he could come back. If you do leave your current job make sure to leave on good terms. You don't want to burn any bridges.

#2 Horry33, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

60% is a pretty big. I'd be hard pressed to take the new job. Depends how much you're currently making though.

4. Classic

Classic Member

Better make sure you learn about company culture as much as you can before you make a move based strictly on $.

See if you can talk to other associates and ask generic questions to guage whether they're direct or kind of side step the issue to hide their true feelings about management, outlook, advancement opportunities etc

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've taken more money before and I didn't last long because I hated the place. Well actually because it was a sales job, while the one I turned down was what I specialized in. So it's probably different than your case.

Personally, I would take the 60% raise. How bad could it be?

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Is the reason for you liking your job due to the company environment? Or because you like what you do? For me, if it's the latter, I have no problem with a less than optimal work environment. In fact it's currently the case now. I know several co-workers who have left because of the company, but because I love what I'm doing, I feel fine working there.

Obviously everyone's different, but for me personally I have to like the work I do. And everything else is only somewhat important. If I were in the same situation, I would definitely take the raise provided I feel comfortable with the work at the new company.

7. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It could be bad if you have a boss, who's a guy, making sexual passes at you daily.

8. VBG

VBG Member

60% is a lot but does it come with extra hours and pressure that you don't want to have to deal with?

9. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i learned this lesson the hard way: money isn't everything. i took a job for a 50% increase... and i regretted it about a week into it...

before you jump ship, spend a day on-site with your new team - see if it feels right.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Unless you are absolutely hurting for the money, and it doesn't sound like you are based on what you said, I would advise staying where you are.

Money is nice, don't get me wrong, but places where you LOVE to work are few and far between in this world. As another poster mentioned, it might not hurt to make you current employer aware of the offer and see if they might be able to bump your salary a bit to help make the decision to stay easier.

Either way, in this job market, you are a pretty lucky to have multiple viable options. Good luck no matter what you choose.

11. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It depends on how easy going you are and how much things bother you. I've worked in plenty of places that were sub-optimal but I let a lot of stuff slide off my back and I find silver linings in places. I usually make good friends and make the best of the situation.
    So I've always followed the money.