1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson: Team would run different defensive call than what coach instructed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 17, 2015.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, you are right, but at least your max players have to be in the same page with your coach or the team. We do not see either.

2. bmd

bmd Member

"Rockets players, not satisfied with 3 1/2 hours in practice on Monday, met again Monday night in a players-only meeting at the team hotel. Yao Ming, asked about the meeting said, "I don't speak English."

In truth, he understood enough.

"We have to trust each other," he said. "And we have to take responsibility. We can talk about it all the time, but sometimes when we're in the game, we forget. It's something we need to strengthen on the court. It will definitely help."

lol

3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Hakeem used to ignore Rudy. The Superstars do what they want. The coaches don't bench superstars. McHale will not be benching Harden.

4. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Harden and Dwight are not leaders. Its nice when your best player is your leader but its not always the case. Tmac/Yao years the leader was Chuck Hayes. Championship years the leader was Kenny Smith. Mavs championship team Terry was the leader. Spurs, Pop is the leader. Bulls, I dont know who it is but its never been Rose. The team doesnt really respect Mchale though. They run whatever plays they want because they have no faith he knows what hes talking about and there are no real consequences to it.

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Honestly, Harden is always switching off his man on defense so he can stay in his one zone of the floor.

Wouldn't be surprised if that is what Ty is referring to because even if the defense is to switch, I'm sure it only refers to the guy guarding the ball handler and the guy who's guy is setting the pick. No switching on the off-ball unless its to get matched up with proper guys aka center back to a center.

Too many times this season, James switches and the other Rocket doesn't know he had to switch which means open threes or them getting an open layup off back door cuts.

Ty needs to be the one to step up and step on some toes, if need be. He has the most to lose in this situation. He gave up his guaranteed contract, probably thinking if the Rockets were successful, like many thought, he could build up his reputation around the league and cash in next offseason. But since the Rockets are struggling and many are only looking at the Lawson addition as the correlation, his already hurt reputation will take an even bigger hit.

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

It's highly unlikely that McHale will bench Harden. I think Les would have his head if he decided to bench his cash cow.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Harden switching called plays on the court is especially disruptive when you're integrating a new and very good point guard. Wow.

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

To be fair Yao Ming and Luis Scola never played as bad as this team is playing.

9. Mr Chuck Norris

Switch on Pick and roll... Harden ends up on bosh, Brewer on whiteside....I woulda ignored that bull**** too

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Same group we all claimed had heart back in May....dammit man.
    Damn damn damn. Let's hope this changes things.

11. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Wow...we got some egotistical bastards on this team eh!? Stupid Asses...Sober Lawson said it flat out good for him

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So basically Harden is telling guys to do something different than the coach, which screws up their roles. and he can't get in trouble because he's the star...that's what I'm getting from all this.

13. awc713

awc713 Member

wouldn't be surprised, but i kind of doubt watkins...

like, what does ty have to gain from saying something like this? he already waived his K for next year. doesn't want to come off as starting trouble in a locker room.

14. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Well I must say I got the Tom Thumb in my mouth now...Baby Huey in the corner over here Lord SF3isBack!! You called it regardless from the get go...much deserved on your end indeed heh

And yes Josh Smith brought an attitude on top of ballz they just don't seem to have and I don't see where they find a pair without Howard fouling out of games trying to be the enforcer with stupid fouls

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't believe a player would actually admit to the media that the team is ignoring the coach and running their own defensive plays, even if they are.

When people say "We," like Lawson did in his quote, it is often a diplomatic way of each and everyone of them is failing at different times, without mentioning names or examples. It only takes one person per defensive possession to create a cascading failure by blowing an assignment. And it could be caused by lack of trust in one another, too.

I don't think Lawson's quote necessarily means the five guys on the court are ignoring the bench by running a different set.

It could be something less nefarious like too many blown assignments. Still, yeah, blown assignments are bad, in and of themselves.

#95 heypartner, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can someone link me to the quote where Harden is named as the guy who is calling off McHale's defenses?

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Would you like the 2 hour game video instead??

18. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I hope they don't switch defensive plays tomorrow against Portland. We all know what happened last time they did that.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I can't tell if you're being serious or not :p

No link...just my speculation, since everyone is saying coaches don't bench stars and the fact that no one has been benched yet....if role guys aren't listening and the coaching staff is afraid of benching them, then something is really wrong here. Dwight is hardly even playing, so I doubt it's him. Harden is the only one left and he does seem to do a lot of pointing/directing during games.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep. If you have enough talent, you can wing it on offense and still get good results.

On defense you have to have the team commitment. You can't just do your own thing. One guy blowing it makes the whole thing look bad. If it is blown frequently, trust is lost and it falls apart.