1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson: Team would run different defensive call than what coach instructed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL!!!!!!!!! :(

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Lawson needs to demonstrate this assertiveness on the floor.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I guess we'll see. Gonna go out on a limb & guess Ty didn't describe his role as "bring the ball up and stand in the corner."

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I mean, I can understand this happening one or two trips down the court, but for an entire game?? Like.....how does that even happen?? Somebody should propose a rule change where you're allowed to stop the game for like, half a minute or a minute just so you can work out kinks in the game plan, and clarify any miscommunications. OH WAIT, they DO have that! It's called a ****ing TIME-OUT!

There's only one of two things happening here:

1) Lawson is telling the truth, and they have no communication within the team whatsoever. If that's the case, McHale needs to be fired immediately because a cardboard cut-out would have the same impact as him apparently.

2) Lawson is lying, and there's a bigger underlying issue which led to a special meeting. I hope for everyone involved this is the true scenario because otherwise, that's ineptitude on a whole new level.

5. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Well at least they are doing it as a team....

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Very true. BUT this isn't the first time he's done this. Last season I was at more than a handful of games and noticed... back then. No big deal, we're winning!

But now, I'm at literally every single home game and have had more of a chance to observe this. He does it, really, regardless whether we're up or down (the mannerisms thing not throwing his hands up). I'm not sure if sometimes he's trying to collect his thoughts or just at a lose for words. But, especially now, I would expect someone to be laid into if they were deliberately ignoring my play calls every single time.

Just me.

7. Nook

Nook Member

It happens more often than you think.

8. conquistador#11

lillard says hello.=/

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Correct. That's the role McHale and his assistants have given him in their "offensive system". The Beverley role.

We're still waiting for the "new offensive system" that takes advantage of Lawson's traits. I think they will install that in training camp. oh wait... :(

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Where is Rick Adelman? Bring that mother****er back as an OC, bring JVG back as a DC, and bring Battier in as an assistant coach that will eventually succeed them.
    Bring Chuckwagon in to slap the **** out of anyone on the team that disobeys the coaching staff and does their own thing.

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

So, does this mean Ty is the only one that doesn't get it? All the others want the coach out!

12. Nook

Nook Member

This.

For the most part this is a players league.

Everyone involved in the game knows that you will not win without elite talent and as a result, elite players get away with a lot more than people think.

A coach cannot just sit elite players without support from the front office and ownership, and unless you have a coach that has executive pull (SVG, Pop, Rivers, Bud), you are not going to have a coach that can do anything about it. They can sit down a player, but ultimately the coach will be told to play their best players.

The Rockets have a lot of difficult personalities and it isn't easy to manage.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

That's fair -- I guess it's a matter of perspective, as are most things. I attended all but maybe 8-10 home games over the last two seasons and was never particularly bothered by McHale's body language. OTOH, I know others who don't like how infrequently he stands up, how much he claps, on and on. But as you said, everything is magnified when you're losing. Same way the things that never bothered you in your partner before are suddenly nerve-grating when the relationship is on the downturn, I suppose.

A lot would be (temporarily) forgotten if they could rip off a string of solid, inspired wins. :/

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

sigh :(

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...e-winning-shot-still-reverberates-5971468.php

15. Nook

Nook Member

First, McHale played in the NBA at a high level and was not always known for listening to his coach. He knows the reality, it is ultimately up to the players to decide whether they will run the plays called or play hard. McHale can only beg or plead so many times before he is tuned out.

Either the players will listen to their coach and play hard, or the coach will be fired. McHale knows that.... at this point, all he can do is hope they realize that making the WCF doesn't mean a damn thing this season.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really not digging Harden's statements, choice of words and overall attitude.

Your role on this team is to lead it to victories, and that includes knowing when to let the ball flow freely, playing defense and not having a moping concert when you miss shots and the other team is flying down the court.

What they should've done at the meeting is have other players tell each person what their role is, rather than each person themselves just stating their role.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I have absolutely no confidence in this team to beat the Blazers. CJ McCollum is going to net a career high against Harden.

18. basketballholic

19. Nook

Nook Member

That stuff all is related.

What can McHale do? He knows that Harden and Howard and Lawson are not going to be punished. He can pull them out, but the next game the front office is going to say to play them and start them, because you cannot win without your star players. This is not unique to the Rockets either.

Ultimately the players can do what they want, and the hope is that they learn that they will LOSE if they do not run the plays called or play as a unit. Think about it, will a team running their own defensive plays or offensive plays, play as a unit? Will they grow as a team?

With the Rockets, like some other teams (Cavs, Heat ), it appears they have to be humiliated before they decide to trust the coaches. That is why you have people like Lowe concerned that the Rockets star players have personalities that are not likely submit to a coach. It is also why you hear from around the league that the Rockets are not an easy club to coach.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Looks like its worse than we had thought.

Our players are r****ded.

We need to fire McHale and hire a Special Ed coach.

1 person likes this.