1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawson: Team would run different defensive call than what coach instructed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 17, 2015.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

"coach said to switch everything but we thought he said swatch so while checking the shotclock we always got scored on backdoor"

2. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

What changed between last year and this that led to players not listening to Mchale? The system worked well enough to get us to the WCF without Bev and DMo so why quit now?

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Maybe the same bearded genius who decided Bev and Parsons should switch at the last second, leaving Parsons to lunge helplessly as Damian Lillard knocked us out of the playoffs.

4. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Never thought about Battier as a head coach before. I think he would be GREAT at it. He would need some high quality assistants a la Ron Adams or Thibs but he has won on every level and knows how to play the game without athleticism.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin McHale listed Rockets issues, shortcomings, ended with: “We got to start making some plays. We made enough excuses."

Harden on players meeting: "It was a good talk. We hadn't communicated like that since season's been going. Now, it's about carrying over."

Dwight Howard wouldn't get into specifics about the team meeting but said team is embarrassed by the 4-7 record.

Dwight Howard said the Rockets record is embarrassing, but not the point now. The emphasis has to be on level of play.

Lawson especially wanted Rockets to meet. "Coaches’ say, 'run this pick-and-roll coverage.' We were calling something totally different."

Lawson: "No matter the coaches say, we need to do. We need to be on the same page. For the most part, I think we got everything order.”

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Because if you don't listen you sit your ___ on the bench for someone that will.

At least that's the kind of coach the team needs right now.

I hope this is what the team needed but to expect it to be a switch would be foolish. After all our offense is garbage as well.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Dude...if that's the case, 1) it would explain a couple of things and 2) mothereffingeffer

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'm likely in the minority here, but this reflects more poorly on the players than on McHale IMO. Exactly how many Ls did they need to take to realize that their own executive decisions weren't working? How many runs? How many blown leads? Good on Ty for calling it out -- sucks for it to be made public, but I guess maybe it needed to be.

What a mess.

9. RESINator

RESINator Member

McHale has lost the team from what Lawson is saying

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

always interesting to see how a team responds after something like that. I guess we'll see tomorrow. The good thing is itll answer alot more questions if nothing changes.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I totally agree with you.

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

McHale - "Switch on everything on PnR".

Rockets - "Doesn't play defense at all".

Team Meeting - "we need to listen to the coach".

Fans - "WTF?"

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This may just be me but I really don't like his mannerisms on the sidelines.

Every time the team does something he doesn't like (almost every play) he just throws his hands up and paces and forth on the sideline. Then when he calls a timeout he doesn't really speak to the players he kinda stands behind with his finger to his mouth. Like, guys! Say something! They're playing like sh**! You are the one to right the ship and COACH this team to improve.

Regardless of what you guys think, this is absolutely a talented team. Our opinion has probably changed since the preseason along with that of the media but there was a reason we were pretty high up there in the possible contenders list.

We need something to bring this team together and who knows, this could be that one thing. Here's to hoping we stop playing like sh**, cause I feel like most (again MOST) of us here just want to see this team succeed.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Fixed. :cool:

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

McHale - "Ball is getting sticky, we need more juice"

Rockets - Ok we need to get rid of the ball fast and not hold it for too long

Proceed to either turn it over to the other team or jack 50 early shot clock 3's

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well we've been to the WCF just a few months ago. The only thing that has changed is losing Josh Smith and gaining Ty Lawson.

Usually teams get BETTER when they lose Josh Smith! I jest, I know he'd be much appreciated now for his rebounding and defense but not all that much has changed.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

To be fair, this seems like a normal human reaction if you tell 5 people to do a specific thing in the huddle and then they go out and knowingly/purposely do a different thing than you just told them. x____x

1 person likes this.
  18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That does not sound very reassuring. Why is the team ignoring what McHale is instructing from the sidelines? Why is McHale not immediately calling a timeout in order to correct this? Why if they continue to ignore him is he not benching players in favor of others who will follow instructions? Why has this apparently been happening all season for 11 games given their 108.5 PPG allowed?

Just my opinion, but this sounds like a bunch of ass covering by the players. There's no way it's that simple. We're not talking about a couple of blown defensive assignments every now and then. They're not playing defense for the majority of these games and often times aren't even running down court. That isn't ignoring McHale's instructions. That's not trying at all.

19. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Lawson starts handling the rock more from here on out.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty sure that wasn't the only thing brought up. no need to air out what's said amongst players behind closed doors in a negative situation.