1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Latest on Malick from Germany

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by o3gs, Jun 5, 2004.

1. o3gs

o3gs Member

Sorry I haven't had any updates for about a week, things have been a bit crazy.

The Opel Skyliners and Bamberg have split the first two games of their best-of-five finals series with the road team winning each game. Game Three is in Frankfurt on Wednesday.

Malick has yet to score in the finals and has grabbed five rebounds in each game. For the playoffs he is averaging 5.2 PPG and 5.6 RPG.

I will have more after Monday's game.

2. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

How many minutes is he getting?

3. Genuine

Genuine Member

hmmm, that doesn't seem very good.

4. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Yeah, but if he's only playing five minutes...

5. user

user Member

Damn, he need to play in NBA instead of in the German League. He's not improving over there.

Do you think he will be NBA ready when he is 21 years old?

6. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

He's averaging about 15 mpg being the backup pf and center of his team. The stats aren't too impressive, but they don't get you whole picture.

And I agree, he should be with the Rockets in the next season. He now has some experience playing professional basketball and should have learned the basics of being a professional. He might not be good enough to make the team but at least he should practice with the other guys. That will help him develope.

7. Sane

Sane Member

He would have developed much faster if he was with the Rockets. He would've been in betetr shape as the trainers would be on him 24/7, and he'd learn a lot more from a season of practice than 15mpg of playing with a Division B German team.

He's coming off the bench in the second division in Germany. How is that better than practicing against Yao Ming, Kelvin Cato, Weatherspoon and MoT? While being trained by Ewing, JVG, and Keith Jones? Watching Duncan, Wallace, Webber, and Garnett in person?

If he were starting for a damn good team in Europe, getting major minutes, then maybe... But I really think we should've kept him here.

He's still young, and we can stil develop him. But $1000 today is worth more than $1000 tomorrow.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not 2nd division. And if he was good enough to compete with NBA caliber players, he would not be coming off the bench in Germany. It's highly unlikely that he will ever amount to anything, no matter where he plays or practices.

9. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Well, he apparently plays behind an NBA-caliber German league vet.

10. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

Well that's a very pessimistic point of view. A lot of players are young and talented but still not developed enough to be a starter.

I don't think being a benchplayer at this time of his career says anything about his future. He might amount to nothing, but keep in mind that that's his first seaon of german first division basketball. And keep in mind that his team probably has the best big men of Germany. Mario Kasun is older, has much more offensive talent and thus he is the starter. The skyliners defense is good, they don't nessecarily need a defense and hustle only type of player.

I say bring him to Houston after the BBL-finals and see if he's ready to contribute off the bench. I think a Boki-like rookie year will help him develope.

11. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

No, Mario Kasun is no veteran. He is an NBA-prospect as well, but he has a very good post game, an NBA-ready body and a smooth jumper. That's why he gets the most minutes. The only thing that keeps him from getting another chance from an NBA-team are his mental problems. He gets into foul trouble almost every game. No NBA-team can afford that style of play.

12. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The best place for Badiane is the NBDL. It's too bad the current rules don't allow the team originally drafting a player to maintain his rights. IMO, altering the rules to keep the rights to players who have never been cut from your roster would improve both the caliber of NBDL play and would stilll provide NBA teams with a good talent pool. Something like a 3 (or 2) season max and you have to waive your rights would work well IMO.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am generally more optimistic when players at least show flashes of brilliance. They can be inconsistent, but when they put up a 30 pts, 20 rbs game once, or even just a 5 pts, 6 rbs, 9 blks game, then you know they can reach a higher plateau than where they normally are. Badiane has not shown that yet.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I second that. If it was merely a case of him needing development and more playing time, they'd have him playing in the NBADL. To quote Bill Parcells: If he can't play in Europe, he can't play here.

15. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

That's not true. Malick has shown a lot of promising potential. He won't put up 30 pts since he isn't an offensive player and he isn't used on offense at all (his role on offense: setting picks at the high post and getting offensive rebounds). He won't put up 20 rebounds either since nobody in the BBL does that kind of stuff. Yuo have to remember that the BBL (or any othe european league) is NOT similar to the NBA. There are only few power forwards or centers with a real lowpost-game. Most power forwards prefer the outside shot, so the offensive systems are different than in the NBA. I can't remember when a guy in the BBL pulled down 20 boards or more. And I also can't remember when a real power forward or center scored 30 pts or more. Ok, so it's obvious that Malick won't do such things. You shouldn't judge him by the stats. Malick is no scorer. He is a good rebounder, but he needs to bulk up to hold his ground. His rebound stats are solid but not great. But that's because on offense he is often still at the high post when the ball comes off the glass or off the rim. And on defense he is often guarding perimeter players and helping out his teammates, so this reduces his numbers as well. Given the fact that he only plays around 15 mpg his numbers are solid.

People should keep in their mind that Malick won't be the next Garnett. A realistic expectation is a pure hustle guy off the bench. He could be used as an energizer because of his defensive game and his hustle. 10-15 mpg off the bench for special matchups. That's what I expect. In an optimistic point of view he could provide us all the things Cato does - but for a much, much lower price. And that would be simply great because we could trade Cato without regretting it.

He might be not good enough, but what's the point of saying he is a bust when he had no chance to prove the doubters wrong? I mean if we had a lot of other options... But before signing such a player like Antonio McDyess for the MLE we have to give him a shot. And I think the management is clever enough to think the same way.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, taking in consideration what you have just said, this is a guy with no offensive game who will be playing the 4 for the Rockets in the Western Conference. He has lots of energy - well good for him. BUT according to your post: He's playing in a league where as a PF, he's not asked to rebound only to set high picks ala Shawn Bradley. Plus, he lacks the requisite strength to play this position in the NBA. In the NBA that's the kiss of death for someone who plays the 4. At the very best, he could be your 11th or 12th man.

That's a good thing if you want depth. Unfortunately for Malick, the Rox need a real NBA level PF and not a longshot project. If this kid really was any good, they would have him playing over here in the NBADL against better competition. AND he'd be playing the PF position the way it is played HERE. This guy was picked because they had to pick someone in a draft where they lost their lottery pick to Memphis. I honestly don't ever expect to see him actually playing for the Rockets - he's just not good enough. I would expect the same will be true for whatever warm body they take with this year's 55th pick.

17. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Luckily we have the double-nickel this year so that we can turn our attention to a real :rolleyes: prospect.

who is it again? Oh yeah, what's his name, "the Medvedenko stopper".

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has more potential than Eddie Griffin......

Give Malick a shot...FREE MALICK !!

DD

19. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

DD, What a hateful thing to say...now it's personal! :D

20. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

So there's nothing between being a bust and being a capable starter? I don't think so. Of course he is no saviour, but what's wrong with him being an 11th or 12th man? I don't get it. We definately need an star-caliber power forward and Malick won't be that guy, but he will give us the opportunity to trade Cato (and other players) to get a good starting forward. Malick can be a backup for special matchups. At least he is quick enough to defend the likes of Cliff Robinson, Dirk Nowitzki, etc. That's fine to me because it is more than what we have right now. And we don't have many other options beside trading Francis and / or Mobley.